Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 engine option opinions please...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr. Roger
Double overhead cammed aluminum V8.

Why?

Why not?

Ebay link with details

just seems to be an interesting, smooth running engine with decent power to weight, and it spins fairly high (6200 RPM's)

fun applications
http://1uzfe.com/rick.htm
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=9434.40
tesserra
They look too big for the 914.
BIGKAT_83
Roger we have 2 cars in the Atlanta area that are being built with Lexus V8s.
I've seen pictures of one and need to go see the other. I suspect both of these will be NICE cars. Both of the builders have the resources to do first class work. One of them is a member here and has just started to post.

Bob
turbo914v8
Very good motor. I seem to remember that some one in the club was using it in his 914 with a turbo charger system. That motor would make gobs of power with a good turbo system on it. idea.gif
Dr. Roger
thank you paul and bob for your two cents. =-)

if you have any infor and/or pics to support this swap i'd love to see them.

I remeber Mueller sayign something about these motors and i'm curious if he knows anymore than what i've read already.

these motors have a certain level of reliability that i really like and broad torque, smooth power, and top end. =-)

heck, i know i'll only drive my 914 on nice days and evenings and will put few miles on her except for the occasional road trip.

a radical cammed SBC is one kind of engine I can apreciate. but it is a hand full to drive. i still shake a little after driving her aroud the neighborhood. LOL

a strong, smooth, injected, reliable engine is the next step for me, i think. inexpensive is even better.

my thinking is low maintance daily driver.
Dave_Darling
Anyone know how the size of it compares to the SBC? If it's the same size or smaller, you may have found a real winnah. If it's much bigger, then it may take Alien Abduction to fit it in the engine bay. (Hi, Rick!)

--DD
Mueller
Since Toyota(Lexas) is going to NASCAR and that there is a good chance General Motors will partnership/get bought by Toyota, seems like a decent choice smile.gif

Seriously, biggest problem you'll encounter is that no kit exists, the 2 cars that Bob mentions seem to be funded by people with deep pockets so the lack of adapter plates or engine mounts are trivial if you have the resources for it...

roadster fan
Looks too tall to fit. I was just looking at the distance from the top of the intake to the bottom of the sump. What the heck find one at a junk yard and take some measurements. smash.gif
rktmn247
Saw one stuffed into a miata, but I can't remember where I saw it (on the net). Looked like it fit pretty well. Sounds like a great engine to me!
Dr. Roger
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jul 25 2006, 08:16 PM) *

Since Toyota(Lexas) is going to NASCAR and that there is a good chance General Motors will partnership/get bought by Toyota, seems like a decent choice smile.gif

Seriously, biggest problem you'll encounter is that no kit exists, the 2 cars that Bob mentions seem to be funded by people with deep pockets so the lack of adapter plates or engine mounts are trivial if you have the resources for it...

Hold on Houston, I think I've found something!,

What type of engine has Kennedy listed at the bottom of their list HERE???
Mueller
QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ Jul 25 2006, 11:52 PM) *

Hold on Houston, I think I've found something!,

What type of engine has Kennedy listed at the bottom of their list HERE???

well, there you go Homer, start to gather the parts and I'll help you when I can smash.gif welder.gif
Brett W
I have one of those for my race car. Yes it will be a stout motor to work with. The biggest problem is the lack of cams for a reasonable price. You are looking at close to 1500-2000$ for cams is hard to swallow.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?auto...blogid=177&

The engine is a total of 28in long and about that tall. It has an integrated starter and the water pump is run off the timing belt. If you raise the engine up radically or lower the chassis around the motor you will have to clearance the firewall for the distributors. You can gain some more clearance by running the engine with a management system that has remote coils.
BIGKAT_83
Here you go Roger from the GA TECH auto show last spring.
I Don't think the car was running at the time.
goodwood73
I'm working on one of those. I lucked out and found a aftermarket Cammed and ECUed one from a Saker SVS GT1. Has about 600 miles on it and the owner wanted more power in his car and went with a LS1. This one is supposed to have about 350hp and 8,000 RPM Redline. The headers are crazy. Yes Kennedy makes an adapter. The starter is mounted in the engine valley. block is aluminum w/6 bolt mains. Lextreme.com is a great resource for info on this motor. Hope to get it going soon if business ever slows down. aktion035.gif
Paul
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
BIGKAT_83
Paul what kind of transaxle was the saker car using with the lexus engine and did you get it also? I know some of the sakers use a subaru transaxle. They make and sell the kit to change them from all wheel drive to 2 wheel drive.

That thing looks badass.... nice headers.
goodwood73
hijacked.gif It was mated to a renault 5 speed like was in the Delorean. Due to a two piece mainshaft and the PO's tendancy to drag race his road race racecar. The tranny is toast and was sold before i got the motor. Still has a custom flywheel. The renault did have a custom bellhousing cast to fit the Lexus. Looked factory. drooley.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.