Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NEED HELP
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
Ok, I know this is the 914 club, but I bought a tow vehicle and the bums at the Ford boards dont know or dont answer...

so all you super guru backyard mechanics...
here it is...

It wont start
Wont turn over
1988 f150
sat for two years
Power at the ignition switch (replaced that hoping that was it)
Dome, Horn and Headlights work

Radio, heater, wipers, dash lights do not work.
No power to coil..
No fuel pump activity....

cleaned all connections on fenderwell.
clutch switch is fine
fuel safety switch is fine.

could the fuel electrical system disable all of those accessories?
I have power to both relays under the hood, drivers side fenderwell next to the fuel system check.
Grounded that tester and no fuel pump pressure...or activity...

BTW truck was parked for two years....
My problem is that when I turn the key to the run position, no power at coil and no fuel pump activity (EFI)
when I jump a lead to the coil from the battery the accessories work????
Is the fuel circuit part of (some) of the accessories???

I have checked all fuses, and the fuse block itself.
Nothing in the cockpit is at fault, at least visually.
I have traced all the wires in the cockpit, all seem fine.
I have power to the FI relays on the fenderwell, and power to the ignition switch (both yellows)

I have read the wiring diagrams for both 1988/89 and 90-96...
I have some of each...
the wierd part is that when I put a hot lead on the coil, it is back feeding the fusebox..through the ignition switch...
So I know that lead works.
But only on direction.....backwards

Please help......
A fellow 914 zealot in need of a tow vehicle...

rich
Jeffs9146
Have you tried compleatly disconecting the old battery and replacing it with a good one!
I bought a 911 cheep because the owner tried charging the battery and jumping the car with the old battery still in hooked up. All of the lights came on but nothing happened when the key was turned. It was a reverse polarity battery. Sitting too long with a light load on it! I put a new one in and it fired up on the first click....I got the car for $2000!!! wooohoooo!!

Good luck

Jeff
Brad Roberts
Ask Chris Foley.

He seems to "jump" in when you need something.

The Fords should have a starter relay on the fender. Most of your accessories go to this.

I would start there. The key here is: it wont turn over. The starter or that relay is causing the problem.

B
Mueller
Yep...with Ford, you can do the two-screwdriver trick to "jumpstart" the relay smile.gif

make sure you don't use your two favorite screwdrivers smash.gif
r_towle
I know about the relay, BTDT
I turns over when I do that...
No power to coil....

I think it is the fuel circuit/electrical connections.

This circuit seems to be fail safe tied into the ingnition circuit so if you loose fuel pressure, the car stops...

so I keep cleaning and chasing wires....
I WILL FIX THIS...
A 200.00 truck is worth the effort...

rich
MJHanna
Put Carbs on it boldblue.gif That is what everyone does on a 914 when they can"t get it to work. laugh.gif
r_towle
Hey MJ,
Can you put up a larger pic of your avatar???

What is it??

rich laugh.gif
Mueller
Hey Rich....

I dig your latest avatar with the squirrel.....where did that come from?

What is it with you and squirrels??? biggrin.gif
r_towle
Found em on a web site and couldnt stop laughing...
Can only use them here though, the "other" boards wouldnt get the joke....

R mueba.gif
Jeffs9146
how about spark plug wires?

It has to be something simple@!

Jeff
Jeffs9146
Jump from the batt to the coil and see what happens!
I used to do that when I lost my keys on my 67 mustang

Jeff
tmp914
It may have someyhing to do with an impact sensor, I remember my wifes 87 Merc cougar had one and Im not sure if my 85 F250 has one but if it got tapped front or rear maybe it needs to be reset, its supposed to turn off fuel pump and ignition to prevent a fire in an accident, dont know where it is or if it has one on PU check manual for location. beer.gif
MJHanna
It's a 911
Scott
Have you tried the starter solinoid?? Ford has had a problem with them for years. Theys stick and since your truck sat for so long you may want to try that. It sounds a little rude but tap on it with an hammer to get it to work. A plastic hammer works well too.
AARRGGH
On our Fords, the top spade terminal on the starter relay is the ign wire w/ key on, as I remember. Check for volts there.
elwood-914
I have a 1989 F-150, once on my way home the truck just died. Everything worked, it cranked over but just wouldn't start. Had it towed to the Ford Dealership. Diagnosis was a Defective Module and Stator. It is under recall but that will take years in the courts before we see any refunds. Part # are:
E43Z*12A297*A - CONT ASY-IGN MULTI FUNC TFI-IV
AT THE TIME (10-2000) IT WAS $120.54
E8PZ*12A112*A - STATOR ASY (HALL EFFECT) - DISTR
AT THE TIME WAS $54.86
Now mine is one year newer but it sounds like the same problem. It's up to you if you want to try these solutions. By the way labor at the dealer was$286.82. It probably took them 15 minutes.
seanery
uhh, ummm, ohhh, very nice avatar elwood!
elwood-914
Thanks Seanery, she is the local UPS Delivery gal..............Maybe I should start all over and build a 914 from scratch...Lots of deliveries
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.