Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Must See Show on Discovery HD
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanery
I just got done watching it, what a great show and beautifully done.
It was a 1 hour show on Chip Foose. Words don't describe how well
this show was done and how incredible Chip's designs are.

If you have high def, WATCH IT!!!!
boxstr
Just looked at the tv schedule and then realized that they have certain shows only on HD, okay , I'm out of here heading out to get a HD tv.
Sean what brand did you end up buying. Give me your suggestions.
Headline news here in Portland Oregon yesterday, the major cable providerer is going to be offering HD to all subscribers, additional $5.00 a month.
I think that Chip Foose and his designs and buildups are some of the best, allong with Boyd Coddington and Randy Clark.
Which reminds me, Deucesteel. New rod project for this winter.
CCLINHDLAND
redshift
HDTV.. What is your budget? How big a place are you installing it? You want a free-standing unit, or a wall mount?

My personal favorite is the 30" Sony LCD. It's very pricey, but it's NOT A PLASMA.

I have many reasons for you not to pick a plasma, although I just installed two Pioneer 50", one 42", and a 32" in someone's house, and do that about every other week.

It costs a great deal of money, to make the other 900 channels look like shit, you can read the numbers on the cheap seats at a baseball game though.

You need a video processor too!

A good video processor costs almost as much as the display.

You need an Air Pad remote, 10.1" touch panel, you can surf the web on it while the dvd loads.

If you do your video processing with a computer, you can use the computer as a free source, and video games look awesome in 16x9, when they are nearly 5 feet wide.

The 914club looks way bigger too.

M
seanery
miles, i went to cedia this year, it was pretty cool, my first time. WOOHOO!

Craig, I've got a sony 51" wide upstairs. I usually love Sony, and this one looks
good, but I've had an issue with the green crt going in and out. Service folks
took it for a couple weeks and said nothing was wrong and they were gonna
charge me. I said "No Effin Way!" they said, "OK"

If I got another projection unit I would consider some of the other names like
Mitsubishi, Hitachi, Toshiba.

I'm looking for a 34" wide CRT for the basement. Sony is my first choice in CRT's.
Samsung seems to be the price leader here, so it'll depend on what mood I'm in
when I decide to do it.

I've got the Samsung T160 HD Directv/Terrestrial HD receiver and I like it, but there
are a couple quirks:
1. Can't set the timer like my ntsc sony (ie, can't program something for every Monday, or M-F, etc...)
2. It doesn't have an RF remote. I live alone and would like to be able to use the remote
anywhere in the house. I haven't come up with a good remote extender yet. I've got the
Terk and it don't do shit.

Chip Foose is an incredible designer. He did a 56 Chev for Christopher Titus that nearly
made me...uh, nevermind. wink.gif
Even his seemingly simple designs are just so well thought out. Damn, I want one of his cars!
vortrex
ahhhhh I wish I had discovery HD! wonder when comcast will add that to the line up?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(vortrex @ Oct 16 2003, 09:53 AM)
ahhhhh I wish I had discovery HD! wonder when comcast will add that to the line up?

who knows. i'm just glad they're giving you the HD box for nothing, although i promptly added HBO to the channel lineup and Cinemax is probably next... can't wait for them to implement the firmware upgrade so i can use the frikken' DVI interface - my TV only has 2 component inputs and i want to use them for other sources ...
Mountain914
Yes - "Rides" has been aired a few times now. High drool factor on the vehicles. I love the way Titus talks about Chip (child/parent) regarding Titus's car.
Titus: I have this awesome nascar gascap - I want to use it
Chip: No you can't use that !
(remember, Titus owns the car and is having Chip do the work).
silver six
Redshift,

I've had a Sony 32" plasma for about a year now. I like it quite a bit. Why don't you like plasmas? Burn in?

douglas
vortrex
rich,

I had a case opened with moto on the DVI interface, they said about 2 months for the drivers to be written. I also hear comcast is testing the moto 6200 box, has built in PVR. I will definitely go to that box when available.
redshift
Burn-in, and it's not smooth. LCD can look real.

Price point wise, I like the medium sized rear projection stuff best.

2. It doesn't have an RF remote. I live alone and would like to be able to use the remote
anywhere in the house. I haven't come up with a good remote extender yet. I've got the
Terk and it don't do shit.

Pronto. Phillips makes a great extender, RF/IR, learn all your IR, and send it RF, not to mention putting your whole rig at one-touch macro control.

Be the pimp.

M
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(vortrex @ Oct 16 2003, 10:14 AM)
I had a case opened with moto on the DVI interface, they said about 2 months for the drivers to be written. I also hear comcast is testing the moto 6200 box, has built in PVR. I will definitely go to that box when available.

yes, i was hearing January on the DVI. PVR - cool - but i bet we won't get it for nothing !
vortrex
what does comcast charge now for HD box and then HD channels?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(vortrex @ Oct 16 2003, 10:45 AM)
what does comcast charge now for HD box and then HD channels?

if you already have digital and a 'premium' channel (we had ShoTime from the signup deal) you get the HD box for a phone call and a ~$20 installation. the guy brought about 3 meters of component video cable and stereo audio (RCA) cables, which i figure are worth the $20 even if they go back with the box... the box is MUCH faster and has a wall-clock real-time display.

there is an optical sound out and i don't know if i've tried running that into the AV amp/Dolby/DTS decoder stuff yet or not... i need to find where i packed all the manuals for the stuff so i can start condensing the remotes - it's a little out of hand and i already get static from my wife that she can't figure out and/or remember what to do to play a DVD any more. there's the cable box, the AV amp, the DVD/LD player, the DVD/VCR, and the TV. i know it's gotta be possible to control all that from at most 2 remotes but you get into cross-brand programming and - well - i just gotta find the manuals :-) ...

so the HD box plays component (or S-Video) for the HiDef stuff, and the LD/DVD player does too, as does the progressive-scan DVD/VHS -- and the Sony XBR has only 2 component source inputs - much prefer to feed it DVI from the cable box since neither disc player has DVI out. meanwhile i'm using S-Video for the interlaced DVD and LD player and the other component video source for the progressive DVD.

6 months ago we were in Nevada with basic cable and a 20" TV, so believe me, i'm not really complaining ! life is much better here !
vortrex
I know what you mean about remotes and I HATE the remote that comcast uses. I really need to do some looking and see about getting one of those nice all in one units, if nothing else, just to replace the HD remote!
need4speed
QUOTE(redshift @ Oct 16 2003, 10:16 AM)
Burn-in, and it's not smooth. LCD can look real.

Price point wise, I like the medium sized rear projection stuff best.

I agree. I was "in the market" for a new tv about two years ago - and the plasmas were, well, freakin outrageously priced. $10k for 42" that would wear out inside 3 years? Screw that. Let the Ken Lays buy that model. Sometimes I feel like people who pay too much for crap are doing the rest of us a disservice, by allowing companies who charge too much for crap to stay in business. My living room is big enough for a Rear Projection, and that's what I got.

I also checked out Forward projection TV - and the projectors are also way out there, as far as cost goes. And worse, you have to buy like a $400 bulb for every 100 hours or so of service. Screw that as well. My monthly Dish bill is high enough without paying into a monthly "lightbulb trust".

I settled on a 52" Toshiba. And what did I find? PQ is TOO good. For most channels I watch, even HD, there's serious banding, quilting, (digital artifacts) and color washout that wouldn't bother me on a 32" CRT. But when I watch DVD's, it's easily worth it. Keep in mind, I don't consider myself to be much of a videophile, so I don't have a signal processor, nor do I even use an external amp or speakers. I pipe my signal straight from the sat pvr to the TV.
seanery
REMOTE CONTROL COOLNESS

Harmony SST768

it takes some getting used to and tweeking, but it's nice and will do
anything. Programmed through your pc.
Rog914
I've the RCA 38" widescreen tv with HDTV & Directv built in. It's the biggest widescreen tube type tv & looks great! But be careful, this thing weighs 216 lbs. make sure you have good sturdy stand for it. You don't want a 216 lbs. tv on your little one.

Ralph

74 2.0
richardL
I have a Sony 57" RPTV fed by a Toshiba DCT-3000 for DirectTv and OTA - the system is excellent and Discovery HD and HDNet in particular are awesome.

Also HDNet Movies has some good stuff - I watched Led Zeppelin "The Song Remains the Same" last night cool_shades.gif

I just wish I could get the networks other than NBC - I am in the shadow of some hills. Its frustrating to watch a crap picture knowing you could be watching HD. Also I NEED the HD Tivo...

Richard
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Rog914 @ Oct 16 2003, 02:58 PM)
I've the RCA 38" widescreen tv with HDTV & Directv built in. It's the biggest widescreen tube type tv & looks great! But be careful, this thing weighs 216 lbs.

Sony WEGA XBR40. 308 lbs.
we've got it on an inductrial-strength welded wire shelf unit with rollers ...
seanery
directTv HD Tivo is done and should be out in December. They had them at CEDIA, no price given, but you aren't giving up much record time compared to NTSC.
si2t3m
errrrr.... I'm waiting for the technology to get here and catch me...

For now we have a 21inch TV and a VHS! And i have to get out of the sofa to change channels. unsure.gif

Me got alot of reading to do!

Marc-André
redshift
I do not own a tv

M
Qarl
Does anyone have any good resources for flat panel TVs.

I am looking for a few new "thin" LCD or plasma TVs for the new house we're building. $3K to $4K each. I prefer the 42" models. I'd like HD ready/capable. I've seen some of the 850 x 480 screens and then the 1024x768 monitors. The lower res screens are obviously not as sharp.

In reality, this will be hooked up to a digital cable box with HD composite output and a progressive scan DVD player. So I'd like to find the best screen for the digital box and the DVD.

What brands are good?

What resolution to look for?

I need a good education. Also... any recommended sources for purchasing and for reviews.

Thanks,
vortrex
check out the forums at www.hometheaterspot.com. I always seem to find the answers I need there.

for purchasing you might want to check out www.onecall.com. they get great reviews and that's where I just got my 51" HDTV. with free shipping and no tax I saved a few hundred compared to the local stores.
richardL
Also www.avsforum.com for reviews of everything audio/visual

R
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.