Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: helicoil question....non 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mike373

Did a tuneup on my girlfriend's toyota tercel. I was tightening in a new sparkplug, when suddenly it was started getting looser. Turns out, one of the plug holes has a helicoil inserted in it. I noticed the outer threads are reverse thread, and it backed itself out a little from the head when I was tightening the plug. How do I get it back in???? When I turn it in the reverse direction, the plug just comes out of the helicoil.

Please help.....

Thanks,
Mike
Cap'n Krusty
By design, Helicoils, Time Serts, and other thread repair products use a thread slightly larger than the bolt or other male threaded part that goes in the hole. The threads on most are "timed", that is they're synchronised with the threads they repair. They CANNOT be a "left hand" thread if the parent metal has conventional threads. Your problem is something other than a bad Helicoil. The Cap'n
mike373
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 25 2006, 09:17 AM) *

By design, Helicoils, Time Serts, and other thread repair products use a thread slightly larger than the bolt or other male threaded part that goes in the hole. The threads on most are "timed", that is they're synchronised with the threads they repair. They CANNOT be a "left hand" thread if the parent metal has conventional threads. Your problem is something other than a bad Helicoil. The Cap'n

Yes.....you are right. It is not a helicoil...it is an insert....and the threads are the same direction. Could overtightening the plug possibly stripped the insert outher threads or the head again??? SH$T!!! I hope not!!!

Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.