Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weird 3.2 FI Noise when under load and on it..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mike D.
87 3.2 Carrera engine in a 914 with all the FI, starting, idling, easy driving, no unusual sound. Then if I really get on it for a few seconds I get the loud whining sound that modulates up and down. eeeeeee-awawawaw-eeeeeee-aawaawawaw. when I come off the gas it slowly quiets down and goes away. Sounds like it is coming from the right side of the engine bay. There is no noticable performance loss during acceleration, just the noise. It doesn't happen if I just rev. the engine in the driveway, of course, when I can stand over it and listen.

Any Ideas?

Aaron Cox
tranny bearing or gear whine?
Mike D.
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Jul 25 2006, 12:03 PM) *

tranny bearing or gear whine?

No, it a noise all on it's own. Doesn't change with regard to engine speed, rolling speed, in or out of gear...

I'm looking to see what F.I componants are on that side of the engine.
Aaron Cox
ignition components? i have heard whining CDI boxes......
John
Check your intake boot, your idle stabilizer hoses and generally any hoses on the intake side for cracks, splits, looseness.

It sounds to me (no pun intended) like you may have an intake leak that only shows up under full throttle conditions.

What air cleaner are you running?

It may just be a resonance of the intake manifold coupled with one of those cheap cone air cleaners.

Post some pics of your engine comp.

BTW, there is no CDI unit on the 3.2. Ignition is all controlled through MOTRONIC.
Series9
I agree with John, check the idle speed motor.
whatabout1
Maybe electric fuel pump or pressure reg ?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.