Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where should I send my heads
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BenNC
After many,many,..., many moons of admiring the view perched from my jackstands, I'm finally getting around to doing something with my car.

I need to have the heads redone, and am pretty much stuck with shipping them somewhere. Where's the best place for a balance of price and quality.

Thanks for the help.

Ben

Bleyseng
For 2.0L heads there is only one man IMHO close by to you too..Len Hoffman at HAM in Georgia..

Beautiful work and the effin valve seats don't come out!!!

A balance between quality and price??? av-943.gif

You get what you pay for- excellent or crap.
KenH
Len is good but way too expensive for basic head work.

Try: Audirac VW's Headflow Masters 2466 South Santa Fe Avenue Suite F Vista, CA (California) 92084-8008 Phone: (760) 727-1827

I have had 2 sets of heads done by him with no problems.

Jake used him before he and Len got together.

Ken
quik914
I have to give a vote to Len. He did mine and they are works of art. He really is not that expensive for what you get. Do you want to increase the valve sizes and do any port work? What type of induction are you looking to use? Motor size? If you are looking for high performance, you can't go wrong with Len.

Just my 2 cents...
BenNC
I know, I know spell it por$che

Fortunately the "up on jackstands" interval has seen a dramatic improvement in my financial situation (thank you sugar momma), so Lens prices look pretty reasonable to me (verstus 6 months worth of 914 budget). Shipping to Georgia would also be convenient.

Any other suggestions?
BenNC
Oops, got distracted mid-reply (dang that work). Thanks for the additional suggestions.
Gint
QUOTE(BenNC @ Jul 25 2006, 03:21 PM) *

I know, I know spell it por$che

Fortunately the "up on jackstands" interval has seen a dramatic improvement in my financial situation (thank you sugar momma), so Lens prices look pretty reasonable to me (verstus 6 months worth of 914 budget). Shipping to Georgia would also be convenient.

Any other suggestions?

How much more $$ are we talking about here?
BenNC
Not to much past Len's prices. Mostly just looking to build a mostly stock (maybe slightly warmer smile.gif ) engine.

Got plenty of other places to sink $$

That said, I can be corrupted.

Any estimate on Audriac's pricing or a website.
2-OH!
I like and have used Jerry at Northwest Connecting Rod (Seattle)...Always done great work, very reasonably...Never had a return...

206-763-2487

2-OH!
tat2dphreak
I would think even RIMCO could do a stock rebuild that would be fine, but that's the budget side of me...
anthony
Jake's new 2L "LE190" heads cost $1540. How much does it cost to have a typical set of 2L heads refurbished by Len?

KenH
Call Len and get a quote - he is easy to talk to.

http://www.haminc.biz/main.shtml

Ken
KenH
http://www.audirac-vws.com/

Ken
Krieger
RIMCO in Santa Ana CA did mine 10 years ago and I still beat the crap out of 2.3L. Prices were reasonable and they have benn doing aicooled work for probably 25 years.
jk76.914
EBS Racing did mine back in 2002. EBS advertises in every issue of Excellence- Engine Builders Supply. Nice work, and the heads haven't given any problems at all. EBS is in Sparks, Nevada.

Prices (November 2002):

3 angle valve job- $285 pair.
They recommended that I reuse my valves. Only 95k street miles. I always appreciate it when the tradesman tells me that I don't have to put money into parts... especially when we're talking about sodium-filled valves. Price included replacement of the guides, however.

resurface both heads- $65 pair.

plug and weld air injection ports- $40 for all 4 ports. These are '76 2.0 heads.

I went to them because they have done literally hundreds of aluminum air-cooled heads. They prepared me for having to weld cracks near spark plugs, but then called and said they were clean.

Also, my rods. They reconditioned, balanced, installed new bushings, reamed the bushings to fit the four new pins I sent along. Total for the rods was $144.

Shipping was $24 back to Massachusetts. Turnaround was about 3 weeks, I think.

No basis of comparision, price wise. Didn't know this forum existed back then, so I went ahead without much guidance.

Good Luck!
DanT
I just checked RimcoVW website and was astonished.....

914 heads for a complete reconditioning (depending on valves used) $1205 per head. SAY WHAT? Is that a misprint or....?

Makes those brand new heads from Jake look pretty sweet drooley.gif

for under $1600, 2 brand new heads....
Randal
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Jul 25 2006, 04:58 PM) *

914 heads for a complete reconditioning (depending on valves used) $1205 per head. SAY WHAT? Is that a misprint or....?

Gee, I wonder what a really good set of heads would cost?

Say ones that flowed a maximum of 202.3 cfm at .500 (intake) and 144.9 at .500 (exhaust) totally refreshed and with a matching cam. happy11.gif
nebreitling
you're awful, randal....
Bleyseng
Sorry to say it but 95% of the 2.0 914 heads are cracked at the spark plug and need welding. Seats need to come out and usually the plug crack goes into the valve seat area. More welding.

New seats need to be installed properly so they don't fall out if the head temps hit 400F which shit happens.
Len has it down to repair these heads, Adrian does a good job too. Jerry stakes his seats in which I don't like.

Like I said Len is close and does beautiful work for a fair price.

You can buy new 914 2.0l heads now for only $1400 each bare.
Jake Raby
NO ONE does heads like Len! I have used every other soul on the planet and on his worst day Len is better than his closest competitor on their best!

Generally rebuilding and upgrading a set of 2.0 heads costs 1K at minimum with updated hardware. Then you still have a 30 year old head thats been heat cycled millions of times.

Start from scratch and be done with it. Beware, we just bought every new head casting we could find due to the prices going up because of the Euro exchange rates. After August 1 all head prices will go up 160.00 per pair.

Skimp on heads and you'll end up on the side of the road, no one touches my heads but Len.
Allan

I had my heads rebuilt by Rimco and ended up paying $855.00 including welding up all the cracks. That was 2 years ago, but I can't see the prices going up THAT much... sad.gif
Joe Ricard
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jul 25 2006, 07:54 PM) *

NO ONE does heads like Len! I have used every other soul on the planet and on his worst day Len is better than his closest competitor on their best!

Generally rebuilding and upgrading a set of 2.0 heads costs 1K at minimum with updated hardware. Then you still have a 30 year old head thats been heat cycled millions of times.

Start from scratch and be done with it. Beware, we just bought every new head casting we could find due to the prices going up because of the Euro exchange rates. After August 1 all head prices will go up 160.00 per pair.

Skimp on heads and you'll end up on the side of the road, no one touches my heads but Len.

Jake when your site came back up today I was gawcking at your cylinder heads. The description of the LE 180 through LE 200 are the same. Makes it tough to figure out what I need. I believe the 190 will be good for my intended 2098 with 86b +5 split duration cam and tangerine header 40 or 44 IDF's Yup nit picking because that's my real job. Reading shit all day.
DanT
QUOTE(Randal @ Jul 25 2006, 05:07 PM) *

Gee, I wonder what a really good set of heads would cost?

Say ones that flowed a maximum of 202.3 cfm at .500 (intake) and 144.9 at .500 (exhaust) totally refreshed and with a matching cam. happy11.gif

Gee Randal,

what would a really good pair cost? Know where I could get some? biggrin.gif

Only problem is, they won't work with the engine combination I want to build, unless someone can convince me otherwise. cool_shades.gif
Jake Raby
Jake when your site came back up today I was gawcking at your cylinder heads. The description of the LE 180 through LE 200 are the same. Makes it tough to figure out what I need. I believe the 190 will be good for my intended 2098 with 86b +5 split duration cam and tangerine header 40 or 44 IDF's Yup nit picking because that's my real job. Reading shit all day.

They are not the same on my end..

Anything more than a 180 is overkill for a 2056, it would LOSE power more than likely..

Site has been weird all day, they upgraded the server for another expansion I have planned in September!
Jake Raby
OOps, I meant to say anything more than a 190 would be overkill for a 2056...

Al Meredith
I must add my $.02 ! Len is the Man. I've used his services for a couple of years. A more knowledgeable craftsman would be hard to find. His is in the shop and does the work. Great guy too! Al
BenNC
Now I remember why this site is so great. 25 replies in 6 hours.

Got some calling to do tomorrow.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Jul 25 2006, 10:12 PM) *

what would a really good pair cost?

Labor on a set of race heads will cost between 2-3K. Parts can go from $600 up to $1200 or so. Then you can add coatings $2-500
The carbs and manifolds will need massaging to keep up with the heads $500-$1000
Once you spend that much on headwork and intake the next thing needed to keep things flowing is a proper exhaust system $1700-$2200
Nickies cylinders with JE Pistons $3000?
Billet CrMo rods $1000
Casework $1000
Ground and balanced crank & lightened flywheel $1000
I'm up to 13K so far and haven't included a lot of stuff yet. unsure.gif
Brett W
You will have a hard time understanding Adrian and he doesn't do what you tell him to do. You better check his work when you get the parts back.

I have never had him do heads for me, but Len has a good attitude and he knows his stuff.
Randal
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jul 25 2006, 05:54 PM) *

I love wub.gif Len's heads as well, but I can even show a picture of the ones Jake had him do for my 2.4; of course unless it taken from 1000 feet. So I guess you can't see them, but you'll shortly be hearing them as soon as J&E re-do my pistons for the third time....
Jake Raby
I love Len's heads as well, but I can even show a picture of the ones Jake had him do for my 2.4;

Thats mainly due to the proprietary valvetrain they incorporate, especially the springs and retainers (retainers weigh LESS than 3 grams) that Len worked on like a maniac for our production engines..

Don't feel bad, at the runoffs we couldn't even pop the valve covers off the engines without Len going insane... every racer has the specific instructions that those springs and retainers are not to be seen by ANYONE!

Len takes the stuff even more seriously than I do.
Randal
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jul 26 2006, 08:02 PM) *

I love Len's heads as well, but I can even show a picture of the ones Jake had him do for my 2.4;

Thats mainly due to the proprietary valvetrain they incorporate, especially the springs and retainers (retainers weigh LESS than 3 grams) that Len worked on like a maniac for our production engines..

Don't feel bad, at the runoffs we couldn't even pop the valve covers off the engines without Len going insane... every racer has the specific instructions that those springs and retainers are not to be seen by ANYONE!

Len takes the stuff even more seriously than I do.

I will be posting the dyno runs from Link, so that is going to be fun. happy11.gif
Brando

Must be a misprint... I've got mine down there... complete valve job (with new guides and stainless valves) and a complete machine job on the case and bottom end... without the 96mm P&Cs i'm lookin at about $700 and change...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.