Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT- a REAL dinosaur of a D-Jet
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jk76.914
Click to view attachment
Been pokin around the internet trying to learn as much as I could about D-Jet. Well, I came across an article on the original Bendix Electrojector EFI (the real FIRST EFI), and I thought some of you guys would enjoy it as much as I did.... Apparently, Chrysler made a total of about 35 cars- Chrysler, deSoto, Plymouth- with the $400 Elecrojector option. They had a lot of problems with it. Today, it is thought that it was mainly due to the poor reliability of the electronic components- especially the waxed-paper bodied capacitors- that led to its problems and demise. Anyway, all but a couple were converted to dual 4-barrel carbs at Chrysler's expense.

Then they licensed the technology to Bosch, who improved upon it and rolled out our beloved D-Jet.

The article is at http://www.ch300imp.com/bendix_us.htm

Another article I found described the workings in slightly more detail at- http://216.120.237.3/cars/desoto/electrojector.html

It says-

Here's how the Bendix system was supposed to work:

Electronically controlled and electrically actuated, the "Electrojector" had a transistor-equipped brain or modulator, about 5 inches in size. The brain took a timed electrical signal from the ignition distributor. It sensed, through tiny electronic transmitting devices located at key points on the engine, the engine's temperature, throttle position, manifold pressure and even the altitude (or density) of the air being sucked into the cylinders. The modulator integrated all of the information received and instantly translated this data into a control signal that actuated the injectors," according to an article in Bendixline, a company newsletter, dated Sept. 28, 1956.

Pretty cool. It even "took a timed signal from the ignition distributor".

Here are some pictures I downloaded from one of the links- Notice all the similarities- the brain hasn't changed much. Same with the fuel rails and the cross-over fuel line- yup, seen that somewhere before. Mother! look at those Electrojectors! Don't get your Timex too close when it's idling!

Couldn't locate the MPS. Maybe one of you guys can in the linked photos. Maybe it's forward compatible! Maybe there's a case of them somewhere in some warehouse!

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
This is on a 1958 deSoto Adventurer convertible. It's owned by a Mr. Tom White in Massachusetts. It sure is a beauty.
jk76.914
Continuing my posting on useless D-Jet info-

So, the Cosworth Vega used D-jet. Remember the "One Vega for the Price of Two" ad campain? Anyway, I actually bought (last week) a NEW Cosworth Vega Shop Manual from Helm- unbelievable. Only $10 plus shipping- unbelievable. Very good, very clear theory of operation, including diagrams, cutaway drawings etc. And the two interesting points-

1. The two contacts that tell the ECU when to fire off the injectors (in pairs, just like every other D-Jet) are magnetic reed switches. They're built into the base of the distributor, just like ours are, but they're closed by a spinning magnet. The Cosworth was redlined at about 7000 RPM, so maybe they were more reliable than our point-style contacts. With this exception and the temp 2 sensor, which bolts into a water jacket, all the other parts look like they would bolt right into a 914. It's spooky to see OUR throttle position sensor bolted directly onto THEIR throttle body.

2. A separate article I found indicated that the 2 model year delay in Cosworth Vega's intro was in trying to get it emissions compliant. All Cosworth Vega's had cat convertors. Interesting- as early as 1974 they had units running lifetest with lambda sensors. I bet it modulated the impedance in the temp sensor 2 circuit... I'm heading in that direction myself....

So here's the picture- see that MPS there along the firewall? Even the bracket with its rubber bushings look like our 914s.

Click to view attachment
bondo
Wow, that's cool. I knew 50's chevies had FI available, but I believe it was mostly mechanical (if not completely). EFI in the 50s.. amazing!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.