Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT: Teach me about window tint
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Qarl
Due to the 1000+ degree weather and 500% humidity... my cars' interiors would be suitable for melting lead.

I would like to tint my windows on some of my cars...

I know NOTHING about window tint.

What's the latest and greatest stuff out there and what should I avoid? How do I find a reputable installer?

Would should I expect to pay for a typical installation (2 door sports car)?

Thanks,

Qarl
iamchappy
Just wear darker sunglasses at least you'll look cool.
grasshopper
And burn your ass.
Joe Bob
Tint is best left to the pros......

DON"t tint the rear window in a targa.....you'll NEVER see thru it with the top off.....
grasshopper
Didn't the factory offer tinted windows all around as an option (other than the rear window)???
STL914
You also need to consider the affect tinted windows will have on your ability to see to the side and behind you at night. My son tinted his RX-7 and the one time I drove it just after dusk did not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.
Jenny
Unless you've done tint professionally or tinted at least 4-5 cars before, I would highly recommend NOT doing it yourself. Your car windows will look like a freaking meteor shower. Your film will have a lot of dust in it, and it'll bubble within a year or two, max. Have a pro do it.

As for film, the normal shades of tint are 5, 20, 35, 50, and UV. 5 is limo, 20 is what most people have on the back of their SUVs, 35 is a shade lighter than that, and 50 is uber light. UV is just clear film that provides UV protection. IIRC, I think all newer cars' windows come UV treated anyway. The numbers correlate to what percentage light is filtered through. For example, 5 means only 5% of light will come thru your windows. I would recommend 35 all the way around. With such a small cabin, I don't think you'll need to go uber dark.

As for the type of film, you want to stay away from the dyed type. These are generally cheaper $, but they're the ones that will look purple after 5 years in the sun. Choose a film that uses metal in the film as opposed to dye.

Now you know. And knowing is half the battle. GI Joe!!!

Jen
roadster fan
Make sure you check your state's vehicle code.......some states don't allow aftermarket tint on the front door windows, only the rear passenger and back windows.

If you get a ticket, you have to have your tint removed before they will clear your citation sad.gif
grasshopper
some states also regulate what shade tint you can have. They have a little gun, kind of like a radar gun that they will shine on your windows to see if your car is too tinted.
Jenny
roll down your windows if you get pulled over! wink.gif

It's illegal to tint the driver's and passenger's windows in Cali, but 35 isn't that noticable. If a cop pulls you over for your windows, he was looking for an excuse to pull you over anyway. If you get pulled over for any other reason, have both windows down before he gets to your car.

Jen

Jen
McMark
I had a tinted rear window and liked it. Hmmm, UV protective film on the windshield to keep the dash from cracking.... idea.gif
Brett W
I had the windows tinted in my street car to 35%. It is great. I even had the windshield tinted, but it does take some getting used to at night. You better have H4s or better to see really well.

Get a professional to do it. I started to do it and killed three rolls of tint on the setup so I sent mine to the local guru. He did an awesome job and I paid something like 200 for 5 windows and 1 windshield (civic). I tipped well because he got it done in a hurry.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.