Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can You Tow-Dolly a 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
andys
Has anyone ever used a tow-dolly to tow a 914? I'm trying to determine if this is do-able in leu of renting a car trailer. I know the 914 is low, so I'm concerned that it clear the chassis behind the front wheels, though most tow dolly's are pretty low anyway. Don't want to rent one only to find out I can't tow it when I get there to pick it up. Anything else I need to concern myself with?

Thanks,

Andy
TheCabinetmaker
You'll have to tow it backwards. Been there.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(andys @ Oct 16 2003, 12:22 PM)
Has anyone ever used a tow-dolly to tow a 914?

depends who you ask. AFAIK, UHaul doesn't mind (check their website for current specifics) but either Penske or Ryder (i don't recall which) say you can't tow-dolly any mid- or read-engined car -- and Penske says you can't put any Porsche on their trailers. i moved a 911 on a tow dolly 2000 mi and had no stability problems. you do have to be really careful backing up tho. check the website of whoever you plan to get the dolly from...
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Oct 16 2003, 12:26 PM)
You'll have to tow it backwards. Been there.

why?

and how do you keep the top from sailing off ?
Porsche Rescue
I have used a tow dolly to pull a 914 -6 from LA to Portland, OR, a 914-4 from Sacramento to Portland, another 6 from Dublin, CA to Portland , a 4 from Portland to Olympia (rhodyguy's silver 2.0) and another from Port Angeles, WA to Portland.

1. Do not tow backwards at highway speeds. You could lose the top or rear trunk lid. It can be done, but not as stable as with rear wheels on the ground.

2. I have used U-haul dollies twice with no difficulty. They do have restrictions on hitch capacity and tow vehicle. You can see if your rig qualifies on their web site.

3. I have had some difficulty with the ramps contacting the underside of the longitudinals (not with all dollies). A wedged piece of lumber solves the problem.

4. Twice I have purchsed a dolly (when U-haul didn't agree that my 2500lb hitch was adequate), towed it empty 1000 miles ( lower tire pressure, sand bags strapped on it to limit the bounce), returned with my prize and sold the dolly. First time I made $10 profit on the dolly, second time broke even. I highly recommend the approach.
seanery
Craig towed my car from LO, Oregon to LA, CA on a dolly facing forward.
TheCabinetmaker
I couldn't get the front wheels on the dolly. There was not enough clearance. I didn't tow it on the highway. This was an "old" U-haul dolly.
dakotaewing
I know it has been said, but just in case you missed it...
DO NOT TOW IT BACKWARDS
ON THE FREEWAY OR AT FREEWAY SPEEDS...
Its not pretty...
Ask Richard Fisher how I KNOW...LOL
Thom
seanery
Tell us more Thom!

you need an avatar.
dakotaewing
I was following Richard Fisher, Charlie, Clay P, and Joe Yoder from Dallas to the MUSR in 2000, in AR.
Richard was towing his V8 car on a 4 wheel trailer. The car was put on the trailer backwards. We were moving along about 70MPH.... Suddenly, I see the targa top on richards car on one corner start wipping up about 2 feet higher than it should be.... We were able to get Richard to pull over before the top broke lose.... But it was torn up real guuud...
Ever sand a top top prep for paint? Its not fun...
boldblue.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif
dryheat914
I hauled one of mine on a dolly(facing forward) to motor vehicles and back for title purposes, had no problems except the front wheels turning a little, ( tie up steering wheel)
Chris
boxstr
Andy After renting from Uhaul a number of times Jim Chambers and I bought a tow dolly. Uhaul sucks, they are expensive, they tell you that you can't tow a Porsche and that your car isn't the correct type, blah blah. If you can get beyond all that you will be okay. Try and get the newest tow dolly you can. If you have to rent. I Have towed front wards and backwards, just make sure everything is secured, top and lids and take a lug wrench to tighten the wheels and a spare tire would not be a bad idea.
A bungee cord keeps the steering wheel in place also you can just pull the key out of the ignition.
CCLINSPEEDSTOWING
URY914
I saw this last year going up I-75.
Aaron Cox
i like that color...whats up with the nerf bar on the front?
URY914
There was a company called ADDCO that sold sport car stuff in the seventies. They use to take out two page adds in R&T. They sold a bunch of stupid stuff you didn't need that people bought.

Paul
eldiosyeldiablo
What SUVs for city roads?
Rally fog lights for those well lit city streets?

boldblue.gif
GWN7
I've towed teeners from Dallas to here. Las Vegas to here and the latest was from Tennessee to here. All on a tow dolly. The only problem I had was with the dolly it self. None were related to the teener. This was with my Chev 1/2 ton.

The Nevada car was towed home backwards, but it had no glass in the windows. The trunk was taped down along with the engine hood and the targa top was off.

These cars are designed to go forward at speed. Look at the front of the car, smooth leading edges that don't catch air. Now look at the back, rolled curved edge on the trunk. Snow plow scoop made up of the targa bar and rear window glass. The roof edge sticks over the back not set flush as in the front. Think that might catch air?

You can tow it backwards, but at the risk of ripping your trunk up and folding it over the roof. That is if the roof is still there when this happens. Then you might also have to clean up the broken glass from your back window as the air pressure and the dryed out seal lets go at 70. Not to mention replacing your front windshield for the same reason or it gets cracked from the rear window hits it.

The guy with the motor home in the picture above....he might get away with it because there is little air pressure hitting his car. There is a 8' X 9' wall of motor home in front of the car.

Dollys work fine. Tow it forward, car in neutral, brake off.
jnp914
As one who has dollyied (dollyed, dollied) used a dolly to tow several cars:

-remember that a dolly has no springs. The suspension is the flexing of the tire sidewalls. Stiff ride for your pride and joy.

-a pain to back up, but it can be done.

-ramp clearance is often a function of car tire height. If you have a lowered car with very low profile tires you will probably have a clearance problem, and not just with the U-Haul monsters. If you are going a long distance, or are going to be doing this, you might want to consider a set of cheapo wheels and taller tires for the move.

-keep a couple of two or three foot long 2 X 10s in case you have to ease the car into the troughs. Just pull them out before the ramps start heading up.

-the first time you load the car onto the dolly, do it s-l-o-w-l-y! You can only imagine the damage that can happen when four guys push a dead car at speed at the ramps and you find out the clearance ain't there.
andys
Hey guy's, thanks for the responses. I have towed other vehicles using a tow dolly, but was concerned with the 914 and was seeking people who have done it before. The advice/experiences is what I was looking for.

Don't you know you can't tow-dolly (turbocharge) a 914!!!!!

Thanks again,

Andy

BTW, check out the Rennegade Hybrids site. They just came out with a needle bearing trailing arm kit.
http://www.renegadehybrids.com/Renegade_91...e_bearings.html
GWN7
I use a come-a-long to load the cars if they can't be driven on. The front handle on my dolly and the tow hook on the car line up just right. smile.gif
tracks914
I don't know about in the US but up here for $10 a day more you can rent a dual axle car trailer. That's what I used to haul mine 300 miles. Pulled like a dream, trailer had a suspension, car loaded great and sat forwards.
GWN7
I didn't know they had Palm trees in Timmins?

Tall buildings too laugh.gif
tracks914
LOL laugh.gif Timmins is a far cry further south than Winnipeg. We're right on the 49th...about parallel to the US border south of you.
The palm trees only grow in the summer. Hard to get enough sunlight to them all them igloos and sky scrapers blocking the 2 hours of daylight we have in the winter. laugh.gif
GWN7
Ah...that explains it. Living in the far North like I do, it's hard to fathom having such luxuries. One guy here tryed to build a 2 story igloo once, but a Polar Bear took a liking to it. Afterwards all he was left with was a pile of snow. Very heart breaking. Get your moose yet? wink.gif
tracks914
I've seen two in the past two weeks but I don't hunt them. I just hunt ruff grouse and i've only got one of those so far. I've been spending too much time on my teener...my wife wants her garage back for winter and she has already had to scrape the frost off her windshield three times this fall. mad.gif
I told her I would have it out by Nov 01 headbang.gif
but it still won't be running. I have the whole winter to build an engine now. lol2.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.