Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 LS1 engine conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914rat
Is there a way to detune an LS1 to under 300HP and 300#ft of torque so it will work with a 901 trans?Or is it not worth the effort?Since it is almost 100 lbs lighter than a cast iron block I thought it might be a viable option.
Aaron Cox
stepup to a 930 4 speed inverted box.....
cobra94563
skinny tires?
LvSteveH
There is no reason to detune an LS1 for 901 use. The manner in which your right foot engages the throttle, and your left foot releases the clutch will dictate how long the trans will last in pretty much any application. If you have an engine that can break the trans if you dump the clutch... then don't dump the clutch. Narrow tires are also a good way to shed trans breaking horsepower. Plus, it's always fun to spin tires.

LS1's are getting cheap enough that it would be interesting to see one hooked up to a 901. You would need to do a tall 5th like the H gear to make it highway friendly.

914rat
QUOTE(LvSteveH @ Jul 26 2006, 11:03 AM) *

There is no reason to detune an LS1 for 901 use. The manner in which your right foot engages the throttle, and your left foot releases the clutch will dictate how long the trans will last in pretty much any application. If you have an engine that can break the trans if you dump the clutch... then don't dump the clutch. Narrow tires are also a good way to shed trans breaking horsepower. Plus, it's always fun to spin tires.

LS1's are getting cheap enough that it would be interesting to see one hooked up to a 901. You would need to do a tall 5th like the H gear to make it highway friendly.

Just had to respond to your addiction references.I have 6 914's in various stages of restoration.I know its not enough to win but it's a good start.My wife made me stop at 4 at home ,I have 2 more at work that I told her belonged to someone else hee,hee.
andys
I know of two such conversions that utilize the 901, but I don't believe they are completed just yet. The LS1 is rated at 330lb-ft, so it's pretty close already. How you drive it will determine how long the transaxle will last.

Andys
turboman808
Yeah I realized 6000 rpm drops on slicks is not good for cars.

If ya are gonna show off like that put the skinny all seasons on. biggrin.gif
Rand

Is there a way to detune an LS1 to under 300HP and 300#ft of torque so it will work with a 901 trans?Or is it not worth the effort?Since it is almost 100 lbs lighter than a cast iron block I thought it might be a viable option.

Renegade was offering a modified LS1, detuned - or should I say retuned. Less torque.
itlynstalyn
Bumping this because I'm curious if anyone has done it recently and has info.
Mike Bellis
I think TurboWalt is doing an LS1 conversion from a SBC. His car is at McMarks shop. Walt is going with an Audi 6spd if I recall. Should be an awesome ride when done.
computers4kids
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Feb 17 2011, 05:25 PM) *

I think TurboWalt is doing an LS1 conversion from a SBC.

agree.gif
jmmotorsports
I am replacing the 350 in my V8 now with an LS1. The LS1 is rated at 345 hp and 350 torque. It is about the same as the SBC I am taking out. The 901 has been in there for 6 years I don't see any reason it won't last another 6 years.

Jerry
914junkie
QUOTE(914rat @ Jul 26 2006, 09:20 AM) *

I thought LS1's were over 200lbs lighter than an iron block? confused24.gif Something like 420lbs vs 700lbs.
Which would be awesome because my car weighs 2350 now. I'd love to find out what 2100 and another 100HP would feel like!
I agree with the others on the 901 holding up just fine as long as you don't abuse it. Ive been running mine with wide tires for about four years now with no problems.
Mmmmmm...LS1 drooley.gif
computers4kids
So if you already have a SBC renegade system in your car, just what is involved in switching to an LS1? In other words, what can you keep/modify and what do you need to buy....or is it pretty much starting over in the engine compartment?

And...is it really worth it.

Jerry, you obviously have a well sorted 350...so why make the change?
jmmotorsports
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Feb 18 2011, 06:21 AM) *

So if you already have a SBC renegade system in your car, just what is involved in switching to an LS1? In other words, what can you keep/modify and what do you need to buy....or is it pretty much starting over in the engine compartment?

And...is it really worth it.

Jerry, you obviously have a well sorted 350...so why make the change?

It is pretty much starting over. The only parts I used from the SBC conversion is the motor mount bar and the transmission set back mounts. The LS1 dose not fit any where near as good as an SBC. And it is not a cheap conversion.

My reason for the change was to lose the 110 pounds,and gain modern ignition and fuel injection. My car should be running again in about a week so will see if it was worth the effort or not.

Jerry
andys
TurboWalt is not using the 901 transaxle; he's using the Audi 01e 6 speed, as am I. The reason I went with the LS1 was for the modern electronics and lighter weight. The PCM controls the radiator fans both for temp, and when the car reaches 35MPH it will shut the fans off. Controls the AC as well. Turn the key and it fires right now!

The original poster asked about LS1 torque. Two ways to deal with that; de-stroke an LS1 by using the 4.8 crank and rods (what Renegade did), or consider the aluminum L33 5.3L which makes 310HP.

Andys
jmmotorsports
QUOTE(914junkie @ Feb 17 2011, 11:34 PM) *

QUOTE(914rat @ Jul 26 2006, 09:20 AM) *

I thought LS1's were over 200lbs lighter than an iron block? confused24.gif Something like 420lbs vs 700lbs.
Which would be awesome because my car weighs 2350 now. I'd love to find out what 2100 and another 100HP would feel like!
I agree with the others on the 901 holding up just fine as long as you don't abuse it. Ive been running mine with wide tires for about four years now with no problems.
Mmmmmm...LS1 drooley.gif

GM Performance Parts lists a 350 HO Turn key engine at 575 lbs.
They list a 2004 ZO6 Corvette engine at 464 lbs.

Jerry
jimkelly
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9viaGK6NA7M

v8 : )

not ls : (
marks914
You should be fine as long as you drive the car respectfully. I have been driving my SBC car for over 8 years and 40,000 miles with a 901. 425 HP and 380ish lb-ft.
Mark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.