Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ducati conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sww914
I just picked up a 914 for $300.00.
I think i'm going to install 3 Ducati v-twins, watercooled.
I'll need to run 6 waterhoses under the car, I sure hope they don't drag on the ground too much. I can't decide if I should run 3 exhaust pipes or 6 out the back.
I think I'm going to use an automatic transmission from an oldsmobile toronado, I'll just flip the ring & pinion so I won't have 3 reverse gears. I thought about doing a hydraulic drive, like on a boat, I could fasten a hydraulic motor to the bellhousing of the toronado trans, but then I'd need to run 6 hydraulic lines from the 3 engines, but I'll only need 1 hydraulic tank.
This should be fun, a piece of cake.
I'll have 375 horsepower! drunk.gif
sww914
OK, maybe I changed my mind. I Think I'll do it with 2 3 cyl Geo Metro motors, they're super reliable and get great gas mileage, and I can use 1 for each axle. I'll only have about 150 horsepower, but that should be plenty, and I can still run 6 exhaust pipes if I want to.
What kind of mufflers should I use? Glasspacks are cheap, but how will it sound?
Kind of like a 1/2 of a Ferrari?
Cool!
michel richard
Or use 6 air cooled lawnmower engines ? six pipes, you can use the regular lawnmower muffler. You'll have something like 30 hp. It will be hard to pass smog though.

lmcchesney
No! it will not work. You must run an High rear wing with a wale tail beneath it to make that combination work biggrin.gif
jhadler
3 Ducati motors?!? And you thought checking the valves on a Porsche 6 was a PITA.... biggrin.gif

-Josh2
KELTY360
All of those mods require on-board, hydraulically retractable jackstands! blink.gif

I think the X/1-9 guys do the Ducati conversion all the time. happy11.gif
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(jhadler @ Jul 26 2006, 12:26 PM) *

3 Ducati motors?!? And you thought checking the valves on a Porsche 6 was a PITA.... biggrin.gif

-Josh2

You read my mind agree.gif
BKLA
what about the honda gold wing six?

3 air cooled ducati's would sound better!

Need a new conversion thread here!! biggrin.gif
highways
I think you should bite the bullet and and go Helium powered. It's even cleaner then Hydrogen because it doesn't combust. Just make the necessary modifications to fit a party rental balloon tank in the trunk, hook that up to your Ducati Tornadoe Taco Blower thing (the more hoses the better)... and open the valve and away you go!!
lmcchesney
Hiway, I think you have the wrong information.
The taco blower uses methane.
Larry
JPB
I have mentioned this more than a dozen times and once again, Kohler 22HP! Great on gas, dependable and won't get yoyu anywhere in a hurry!

beer.gif Listen to me now, believe me layta.
Lou W
QUOTE(BKLA @ Jul 26 2006, 01:52 PM) *

Honda CBX straight six. biggrin.gif
grantsfo
How about 10 mouse 1.0's?

IPB Image
newto914s
QUOTE(Lou W @ Jul 26 2006, 03:33 PM) *

QUOTE(BKLA @ Jul 26 2006, 01:52 PM) *

Honda CBX straight six. biggrin.gif

What about the hayabusa plant. 1.3 liters, 160hp & 94ft-lbs. Red line around 11K rpms. It's used in the Atom, and the after market is huge. Some claim a turbo system will put out 400hp+, and since it's so puss on the torque, your 901 might stand a change of survining.
messix
did alphy hijack some ones id on here?
alpha434
No. This is NOT a hijack.

Porsche tried desmodromic valve actuation in the 60's in their formula racers. 752?

Just convert a Porsche six to desmo.
BigD9146gt
Why don't you put one of the Ducati GP engines in it... 1 litre V4 pushing 250hp. Ducati is making 200 de-tuned GP bikes for public sale next year, they boast 200hp, cost $50k. Oh, and you need to be the proud, current owner of a 999R (MSRP $25k).
Hybrid_Teener
are you KIDDING me!?!

he's joking, right?

Dude...

You're going to need to machine some crazy stuff for that..

ok the 3 duke engines might be possible. here's my idea:

Use the 901.
3 drive belts belts
A giant rod running from the trans to the firewall. Mount some sort of bearing mechanism onto the firewall for the rod. Key it up and pin the rod so you can have 3 sprockets on the rod, to take your 3 drive belts.
synch up your throttles.
run individual exhaust, and make sure it tucks well wink.gif

only reason I'm entertaining this idea is 'cause it's a quarter to 4am =P
DBCooper
QUOTE(Hybrid_Teener @ Jul 27 2006, 02:50 AM) *

ok the 3 duke engines might be possible. here's my idea:

Duck, not duke. "Duke" is like the Bimmer guys wanting their cars to be called "Beamers". Can't permit that kind of self-effacing revisionism.
sww914
Hybrid teener, go to bed. It's late and your getting v e r r r y y y s l e e p y.
Yes, I think I'm kidding.
I am clearly an A-hole purist making fun of all of the crazy conversions, which in my opinion are ruining many 914's, a car that I truly love, and I have for a long time. I still don't understand the compulsion to put a funky water cooled engine in a 914 when there is a perfect conversion engine that bolts right in.
A Porsche 6 cyl is a super reliable, widely available engine that fits right in the hole because it was designed to, with GOBS of power possible, and the car design is not a prototype. Most of the bugs were already worked out by Porsche 35 years ago. I know that a P-6 is very expensive to buy and to build, but in the long run, I think that if you factor in all of the times that something has to be re-done, or one of the custom pieces that run between that really great chevy/lexus/toyota/pontiac/bmw/honda/ducati engine and the 914, the P-6 isn't more expensive after all, especially if one figures in a modest $1.00 per hour wage for him/her self while fixing the car. I'm sure that I'll take a lot of flak for my comments, but it is just my opinion, and all your opinions are as valid as mine.
I did a 914/6 conversion at a shop that I used to work at, we just added a 6 and a front oil cooler, and we charged a little less than 20 hours. That's only a long weekend's work. I don't think that any of these very imaginative conversions could be finished in a weekend.
Also, the car never came back for any conversion related failure in the 2 years of nearly daily driving that I was aware of, I saw the guy's wife a couple of months ago, and he's still driving the car back and forth to work after 7 years! He only comes back to the shop for normal maintinance and normal wear repairs, not blown out water lines, leaky radiators, balky shifters, broken mounts, broken axles, etc. Of course, any of you, it's YOUR CAR, you can do whatever you want to do to it. I'm sure that the unique factor pulls at some of you, and the fun of building a car, but I've been fixing cars for a long time, and I just want them to stay together. I guess I'm just tired.
With respect, Steve.
So.Cal.914
Like you said "it's your car and you can do whatever you want with it." I happen

to agree with you, A 914 desirves a P-6. But what made the automobile great

was the ability to make it ours, wether it is a VW van with flowers all over or a

rotory engine stuffed in back. The cars I had as a kid are now selling at auction

for staggering prices, and we would use parts off of whatever if it made it faster.

Yes I agree with you but I also say GO FOR IT GUYS! (AND GALS) clap56.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.