Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - Marine Battery Advice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SteveL
It's time to replace the battery in our runabout, before I get to row an 1800 lb boat back to the dock.
Currenlty, it has an Interstate deep cycle. I was thinking about replacing it with an Optima Blue Top, which is about 50% more $$$.

Is it worth it?

Thanks
sww914
I did a lot of research on batteries when I was a boater. The differences are this-
Deep cycle, will handle many complete discharge cycles, 50-700, but are slow to release energy, so not good for starting. Fairly efficient, store about 80% of energy put in
Regular starting battery, quick to release energy, good for starting, will not handle very many complete discharge cycles, 5-15. Less efficient, store about 70% of energy.
Marine, very much in the middle, will handle more complete discharges than a starting battery, but fewer than a deep cycle, will crank an engine, but slower than a starting battery.
AGM battery- ie Optima, the same guidelines as above are true, but AGM batteries are lighter, don't leak liquid or fumes so they're safer in enclosed spaces, they handle more complete discharges than their lead/acid counterparts, they can be mounted in any position, they require no water level maintinance, terminals rarely need cleaning, and they're slightly more efficient.
So, you'll need to decide if these qualities justify the extra expense for you. Everyone I've ever talked to who has an Optima has loved it.
I always go to Walmart or Autozone and buy the cheapest P.O.S. that I can, except for deep cycle or marine batteries. I run a $24.00 lawn tractor battery from Autozone in my racecar, but it probably won't leave me stranded 30 miles from land.
I hope this helps.
spunone
Have 2 Optimas in my boat never have had a problem yet been 3 years . Other deep cycle batterys only lasted 2 years. Gotta give the Optis two thumbs up.Just my .14cents worth
Jeffs9146
My boat came with two Optimas 4 years ago. The boat was already 3 years old. I used one to run the porsche for a few years then put it back in the boat last week. I keep wondering how long these things are going to last! They have been killed and sat for many months at a time and I am always able to bring them back even if they are reverse polaritied! Just a good high amp/high volt jolt brings them back!

I will never own another type!

Jeff
SteveL
Thanks for the advice. It soulds like I will be picking up the Optima tonight.
One more question - there are two types - Deep Cycle and Starting. The battery will not be used for a trolling motor, just starting and accessories.
Which one do I need - Deep Cycle or Starting?

Thanks Again!
Jeffs9146
I think the Blue Top says "Marine" on it!?

Thats the one I have.

Jeff
highways
I use two cheapo batteries on my sailboat now. Deep cycle batteries just never delivered as promised. After one year they sucked. That price wasn't worth it. Now I go with the cheapest, some solar charging... and it's always good to go. And even if I do have to replace it, I'll still be at less the 1/2 the deep cycle costs for my first replacement. Marine bla bla bla is just a bunch of marketing design to burn holes in your pocket. Never shop at Westmarine!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.