Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Air Velocity Intake
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dads914
I'm thinking of getting one of the Air Velocity Intake systems for my 74' 914 2.0. Anybody have any experience with them? Any power gains or losses? Good or bad experience? I dont see anybody talking about them. What do you guys think? WTF.gif [img]
Rand
There's been plenty of talk before.

I like this type of setup. But the actual net performance gain is minimal. I like the simplicity.

Just beware, if this thread takes off, you'll get responses ranging from "wow, that's cool, I must have it!" to "bah, it's crap and worse than stock."

popcorn[1].gif
Aaron Cox
its just a piece of PVC smile.gif

Rand
Not mine. It's made of THREE pieces of PVC and a rubber adapter!!! av-943.gif
Home Depot special!

I'm working on a nicely-fabbed metal unit with a mandrel-bent piece though. smile.gif
Dads914
QUOTE(Rand @ Jul 26 2006, 02:42 PM) *

There's been plenty of talk before.

I like this type of setup. But the actual net performance gain is minimal. I like the simplicity.

Just beware, if this thread takes off, you'll get responses ranging from "wow, that's cool, I must have it!" to "bah, it's crap and no better than stock."

popcorn[1].gif

Thanks Rand, agree.gif
The simplicity thing really is what got me intrusted plus it will clean up the engine compartment. I figured I would get some nay sayers as well as some informed info and for $99 bucks may not be a bad investment.
I was also figuring that the guy who runs GT performance would chime in sometime and give up some #'s to show its benefits I believe he's a member here.
Greg
Aaron Cox
yep, greg treadway is a member here..
Dads914
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Jul 26 2006, 02:44 PM) *

its just a piece of PVC smile.gif

Come on Aaron, give a newbie a break! will that piece of PVC help or hurt?
Rand
Just beware, some of the nay-sayers know what they're talking about! laugh.gif

I'm not sure I would drop money on it. I just enjoy fabbing and experimenting.

Hmm... Didn't Marty/maltesefalcon come up with something too??? If so, it would be a nice product, probably a nice mandrel-bent metal unit instead of plastic. Might have to search for it.
Aaron Cox
looks cool smile.gif functional or HP increase? only a dyno will tell....
Dads914
QUOTE(Rand @ Jul 26 2006, 02:46 PM) *

Not mine. It's made of THREE pieces of PVC and a rubber adapter!!! av-943.gif
Home Depot special!

I'm working on a nicely-fabbed metal unit with a mandrel-bent piece though. smile.gif

Love to see what you come up with Rand.
Dads914
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Jul 26 2006, 02:57 PM) *

looks cool smile.gif functional or HP increase? only a dyno will tell....

Im going to dyno next month and if I get one I will post the #'s here.
BarberDave
Performace gain is very minimal, if any. But looks cool,and your right about cleaning up the engine compartment. At least your not asking about a Tornado! Dave
Aaron Cox
when and where????

dyno time is expensive, a few people might be able to get the cost down.

feel free to email/PM
Rand
Would love to see the numbers. I doubt you'll actually see a difference on the dyno graph. Cold air helps though... If you could get the air filter away from the engine bay heat a bit.. Just don't sacrifice air filter quality.
Dads914
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Jul 26 2006, 02:59 PM) *

when and where????

dyno time is expensive, a few people might be able to get the cost down.

feel free to email/PM

I have a guy with a dyno at his shop who is very very reasonable. I may be able to hook a few of you guys in So. Cal. up sometime.
anthony
QUOTE(Dads914 @ Jul 26 2006, 02:51 PM) *

The simplicity thing really is what got me intrusted plus it will clean up the engine compartment.

Personally, I think the stock djet air intake looks better. :-)

Rand
Love to see what you come up with Rand.

It will simply be an elbow from the throttle body to the air filter with one tap for the oil filler vent hose.

My car has no pcv valve, no smog stuff, no aar, no decel valve, no cold start valve, etc. So in my case the simplicity factor works out.

If your car is running well with all the stock stuff in place, I honestly think you are better off leaving it alone.
Cap'n Krusty
FAR fewer square inches of filter material, and what there is has MUCH larger pores. Those larger pores allow more and larger particles into your engine.
More/bigger dirt = more wear. You have to decide whether the increased noise level (how racy!) outweighs the increased wear (how expensive!) The Cap'n
nebreitling
i imagine that it does make some power. colder air/less filtering can create a couple (1-3) hp. pretty easy to make yourself. be sure to put in some barbs to hook up all the misc. vacuum hoses that go to the stock Djet box.

getting a header would create more power.
Dads914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 26 2006, 03:23 PM) *

FAR fewer square inches of filter material, and what there is has MUCH larger pores. Those larger pores allow more and larger particles into your engine.
More/bigger dirt = more wear. You have to decide whether the increased noise level (how racy!) outweighs the increased wear (how expensive!) The Cap'n

Thanks Cap'n, But how is this filter differnt from the K&N I already have?
Cap'n Krusty
Equally bad, and you will have spent a hundred bux to stay the same! Might have more filter area if you're replacing a K&N panel filter, but still FAR less than the stock paper filter. Just send ME the excess money you have. That makes the most sense to me ........................... The Cap'n
Dads914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 26 2006, 04:53 PM) *

Equally bad, and you will have spent a hundred bux to stay the same! Might have more filter area if you're replacing a K&N panel filter, but still FAR less than the stock paper filter. Just send ME the excess money you have. That makes the most sense to me ........................... The Cap'n

O.K Capt'n sounds good, Just send me your social security #, all your account #'s and maybe even your signature and it will be on the way. beerchug.gif
So.Cal.914
Just from the pictures it should breathe better than the stock airbox and IMHO that

could not hurt.
Dave_Darling
Do a search on "intake AND demick" to see some neat results of real-world testing for a genuine cold-air intake system. Plus all of this debate, hashed out yet again....

--DD
zen motorcycle
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 26 2006, 09:42 PM) *

Do a search on "intake AND demick" to see some neat results of real-world testing for a genuine cold-air intake system. Plus all of this debate, hashed out yet again....

--DD

I did just that and it took me forever to find it! it is not actually a post on this board but a link to his site. Hope he doesn't mind

http://members.rennlist.com/demick/coldair.html

Man wonder what would happen if he used smooth bore instead of that stuff??? Also looks like from his tests that a K&N doesn't do much. One opinion and it is his.

Don't shoot the messenger!
914werke
the synopsis of all that is that if you reverse the intake snorkel
to the drivers side you WILL improve your cold air charge.
cotton or paper element.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.