Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: speedometer drive gear
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skipskip
Our 73 2 liter has a non functional speedometer. the tang coming out of the rear of the trans (before the right angle drive) spins.
On our spare trans the tangs are tight. I assume the drive gear on the running car is stripped or broken.

But, how does one remove the drive gear? I have the set screw out, but the gear isnt budging. I assume I have missed something. these DO come out from the outside.. dont they?

thanks

skip
Bleyseng
Just remove the hex head bolt on the tranny end cover that locks into the grove on the speedo drive and it should come out. If you haven't drained the oil, you will at that time!
You might have to wiggle it and twist it to come out if it never has due to oil varnish.

Geoff
seanery
what to refill with?

does redline make oil for the rear end?
Rusty
Hi Skip...

I didn't see your first post. So, welcome to the BBS!

Geoff is steering you in the right direction. Also, there's an o-ring in there that you might want to replace, to prevent leakage.

-Rusty smoke.gif

P.S. Refill? Swepco 201.
Bleyseng
Whoops! Sorry I didn't see you are newbie, so darn it...Welcome to the BBS!!!!! smilie_pokal.gif

Geoff
seanery
sorry to hijack this thread, but I'm replacing mine either this weekend or Monday.

How much gearlube?
I like Redline stuff, is swepco better?
Rusty
There's a fill spec... but the easiest way to do it is:

Get the transmission basically level, and pour gear oil in until it starts to run out.

Folks smarter than me claim that Redline prevents significantly less damage than Swepco.

-Rusty smoke.gif
Drums66
*REDLINE* smilie_pokal.gif
Jeff Bonanno
as i just did this - i'll chime in. there is no way in hell that fitting would have come out if i didn't have the endcover off. as it was, i lubed it up and had to pry/press it out from the inside. pry it a bit, add wood wedge, pry... the bore in which it resides is a bit pitted and i may have to hone it some.

not too bad to remove the cover - and you can do first gear refurb while you're in there.

good luck,
jbb
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.