Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Quick little story about the doof in the focus tailing me....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Aaron Cox
ok. so today on my way home from summer classes, there is this HUGE downhill sweeper banked turn from 1 freeway to another....

i have driven it daily for 3 years now... i know the line really well.

so, i drove my car to work for a shakedown run....

and got it nice and warm, and some guy in a hatchback focus is on my tail..... pulls up along side me... and throws a rev .... i laugh... drop a gear on the shorty gear trans..... and take off... he gives chase...

crest the hill doin about 80... (about freeway speed...)

guy posts up behind me... about a half car length from my bumper.....

enter the corner (2 lane banked sweeper) - no other cars around... so i go reaaaally deep into the corner, get on the brakes, drop from 4th (S) to 3rd (flipped ZD) and pin it at 5500, set it up for a nice line.... get on the throttle... a touch of understeer easily taken over by throttle.... and hit 4th out of the corner.....

I look back to see where he is.....

guy is 8 or 9 car lengths back and is halfway into traffic lane LOL

love my car....
Lou W
Doofus in a Focus clap56.gif driving.gif ph34r.gif ok, what freeway was it? 57/210 south to the 71?
TonyAKAVW
Sweet.
Mamacita
LOL, gotta love it!
pete-stevers
you should never drive above the posted speed limit......never.....
verbal spanking" for you av-943.gif av-943.gif
Bruce Allert
QUOTE(Lou W @ Jul 26 2006, 10:18 PM) *

Doofus in a Focus clap56.gif driving.gif

We always call em a Fuckus chairfall.gif

....b
Toast
lol2.gif

slap.gif for the Focus.
Howard
Be careful of them Fockers. SVT had a couple of them out at 'Streets'. 230hp/2600lbs of fwd frenzy.
And never exceed the posted limits! happy11.gif
DanT
Sorry, but....take it to the track smile.gif
alpha434
Aaron is old enough to make his own mistakes. Just like the rest of you. If he messes up, then he will learn from it, or die. Either way, it's in his hands and not for you to lecture.

Besides, the idiot in the focus is the dangerous one. Ford never intended that their car perfom.
grasshopper
QUOTE(alpha434 @ Jul 26 2006, 10:06 PM) *

Ford never intended that their car perfom.

agree.gif they were not made to compete against a 30 year old volkswagen bootyshake.gif
brer
QUOTE(alpha434 @ Jul 26 2006, 11:06 PM) *

Aaron is old enough to make his own mistakes. Just like the rest of you. If he messes up, then he will learn from it, or die. Either way, it's in his hands and not for you to lecture.

Besides, the idiot in the focus is the dangerous one. Ford never intended that their car perfom.

your didn't just say that did you?
pfierb
QUOTE(alpha434 @ Jul 27 2006, 02:06 AM) *

As a matter of fact I think Ford did intend for the SVT Focus to perform and the ones that I have seen at DE events at Lime Rock do quite well for themselves....lot of performance for not much money.
Hybrid_Teener
HAHAHAHA never exceed posted speed limit? You people live in CALIFORNIA!! Nobody in their right mind sticks to the speed limit unless they wanna get rear ended or cut off.. not anymore..
Aaron Cox
i agree - keep it legal etc....no one around

Saw it as an opp to have some fun...
71 S- > 91W
Root_Werks
boldblue.gif driving.gif
Howard
And one more thing. AAron is not old enough to make his own decisions. He would drive recklessly if it were not for the good examples we more mature members provide. burnout.gif
Eric_Shea
BRAAAAAAAAAANT! Leave Aaron alone! dry.gif
Sammy
Chock up one more Alpha-ism.

sww914
I thought those big signs with the numbers on the were more like guidelines, really. More of a suggestion than an actual law.
Yes, I am currently signed up for traffic school, as a result of a minor transgression a couple of weeks ago, 91 in a 65 in my wife's WRX. The cop was kind enough to write me for 80 so I could do traffic school AGAIN, and not ruin my insurance rates.
Well, you play, you pay.
Lou W
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Jul 27 2006, 06:35 AM) *

i agree - keep it legal etc....no one around

Saw it as an opp to have some fun...
71 S- > 91W

They built that ramp for those speeds biggrin.gif driving.gif ph34r.gif
brant
QUOTE(alpha434 @ Jul 27 2006, 12:06 AM) *

Oh my...
them is fighting words.
I suggest that you meet me on the track to see whose car out performs whose

I've done 4 days of track time (2 liscensing schools) with the yellow car
and another day of track time with the orange one.

I can tell you that the orange car with STREET tires and STREET brakes, will run lap times as fast as most small bore teener race cars.

I think I drove it with street tires to about the same lap time as my vintage RACE CAR is capable of with race rubber on it.

Rick Snyder in Denver (speedvision Touring cars national competitor) did track time with me in his STOCK street focus SVT. He runs quicker laps in that car on STREET tires, than he runs in his fathers SCCA 944 on race rubber.

Hmmm...
meet me on the track chris
brant
brant
interesting that my race car and my ford are both 2liters.
one is rated at 160hp the other at 170hp

the 160horse car weighs in at 1850

the 170horse car weighs in around 2800-ish

yet the improvements in suspension design allow it to hold its own with lesser rubber, lesser brake compounds, and front wheel drive:
So.Cal.914
The danger is not high performance cars but low performance drivers, if there is

no one around use your good sence. Play Safe, but play. wink.gif
sww914
I don't think that we'll see any Focus cars still being raced 30 years from now.
ottox914
Had a focus S2 package that I loved. Added an Aerocharger turbo kit, some larger injectors, some chip tuneing, and made over 170whp. The S2 suspension package was nice, but not nice enough, swapped it all out for stock SVT package, springs/shocks/sways. Got RIF'd at work and had to sell it. I still miss that car.....
I'd love to get my hands on an SVT European package car one day.
Lou W
Brant,
Nice looking cars, looks like they would be alot of fun driving.gif
Joe Ricard
Yea I am guilty of setting a bad example.
So since we are street racing I have to contribute.

Last inight on the way home I catch up to my wife riding her Broom. Well I guess she saw me a few cars back and starts the shittin and gittin in the Mazda. Damn that car is fast.
It was only a matter of time before she chickens out and I can pass her.
Right before the left turn at the light (lucky for me it was green). Late brake to pass and put the new Hankooks to the test.
Now on curvy back road (my favorite) I had to keep slowing down so she could keep up. Get to a straight section and wouldn't ya know it she tried to pass me! Ain't gonna happen from middle of 2nd gear.
brant
QUOTE(Lou W @ Jul 27 2006, 01:08 PM) *

Brant,
Nice looking cars, looks like they would be alot of fun driving.gif

thank ya sir...
I now only have the orange one, but I think its a keeper...

its a practical car too.
I've now hauled nearly a half dozen differnt teener motors or tranny's in it at various times. Plus it will swallow 8 race tires and extra gear when needed.
its my pickup

If fortune allows, I hope to have it for another 20 years..
however there is talk about the next SVT having the mazda3 250hp turbo motor...
(hmmm that would be a REALLY cool used car.)

brant

Toast
I've discoverd that getting hit by cars that are driving fast hurts. I can't even imagine what it would feel like if I was going fast also! ohmy.gif Plus innocent people shouldn't have to die because of someone else's carelessness.
I don't drive recklessly much anymore for that reason. But it sure is fun.......on a Track!
turboman808
Reckless and fast are 2 different things.

I'm a very safe and courteous driver. Give me an empty stretch of road and all hell breaks loose. Although I do find it quite amusing when cars not quite capable of those speeds and corners try to follow me. If they fling themselves into a wall it's on them.

I did have a guy in a old baracuda convertible race me on the highway 3 or 4 weeks ago. That guys was fucking nuts. I backed off before he killed me. If I kept racing him someone would definetly have gotten hurt with his driving.
Lou W
QUOTE(Toast @ Jul 27 2006, 01:59 PM) *

I've discoverd that getting hit by cars that are driving fast hurts. I can't even imagine what it would feel like if I was going fast also! ohmy.gif Plus innocent people shouldn't have to die because of someone else's carelessness.
I don't drive recklessly much anymore for that reason. But it sure is fun.......on a Track!

So does that mean you will be driving at the AX in August? smile.gif driving.gif ph34r.gif
sww914
You know what George Carlin says, A-holes & Idiots.
Everyone that drives faster than me is an A-hole.
Everyone that drives slower than me is an Idiot
JPB
Its not about the car. It is always about the size of the nuts and how nuts they really are!

beer.gif Me crazy.
Eric_Shea
its a practical car too.
I've now hauled nearly a half dozen differnt teener motors or tranny's in it at various times. Plus it will swallow 8 race tires and extra gear when needed.
its my pickup

Shaaaaadup Brant... it's still a Focus! w00t.gif

hide.gif
914nerd
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Jul 27 2006, 03:25 PM) *

Reckless and fast are 2 different things.

agree.gif
I am guilty of driving a little (ok, more than a little) faster than the posted speed limit from time to time
If you are a capable driver and driving well within both your limits and those of the car, though, there is no real problem.
IMO
WaideS
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 27 2006, 03:23 PM) *

its a practical car too.
its my pickup

hide.gif

You tell him Eric ph34r.gif
brant
QUOTE(WaideS @ Jul 27 2006, 04:35 PM) *

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 27 2006, 03:23 PM) *

its a practical car too.
its my pickup

hide.gif

You tell him Eric ph34r.gif

"whyyyyy Iiii.... Oughta....."

KELTY360
Hell, I drive fast just to stay out of the way of the zombies who aren't aware of where they are or what they're doing. I feel like I'm invisible in my teener most of the time, so I drive for open space. driving.gif
KaptKaos
QUOTE(sww914 @ Jul 27 2006, 02:29 PM) *

You know what George Carlin says, A-holes & Idiots.
Everyone that drives faster than me is an A-hole.
Everyone that drives slower than me is an Idiot

Highways seem to be packed with idiots these days. laugh.gif

ws91420
It could a had a V8. blink.gif burnout.gif
Hammy
QUOTE(brant @ Jul 27 2006, 11:14 AM) *

yet the improvements in suspension design allow it to hold its own with lesser rubber, lesser brake compounds, and front wheel drive:

So in other words it handles better than a 914 ?
JPB
Cars now are all about the stiff role bars for that drifting stuff. All cars handel pretty well anymore but just don't have that "what kinda car is that" flavour. We are on the fringe of normalcy.

beer.gif or sobercy with some
brant
QUOTE(Hammy @ Jul 27 2006, 06:09 PM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Jul 27 2006, 11:14 AM) *

So in other words it handles better than a 914 ?

yes in some ways it does.
I'm not saying its more fun, but it has that modern forgiving suspension

it certainly doesn't feel as nimble for darting around traffic at 30 miles per hour.
but it is more stable at speeds, more forgiving, and able to carry quite a bit of speed through the corners and on the straights. It is Way more aerodynamic and my teener seems to hit a wall around 110 aero wise. The SVT will do a legit 135 and certainly does not hit any aero-wall at 110mph

brant
Aaron Cox
this aint about focus's (sp? -> Foci? = multiple focus cars)

its about my perceieved irresponsibility remember smile.gif
brant
don't worry...
you remain young and irresponsible.

you out drove the guy
and I don't doubt that your car is more capable than a zx3 also.

you kick butt...

(does that help get this back on track)

Aaron Cox
there we go smile.gif

Love this place...
Tobra
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jul 27 2006, 04:19 PM) *

Hell, I drive fast just to stay out of the way of the zombies who aren't aware of where they are or what they're doing. I feel like I'm invisible in my teener most of the time, so I drive for open space. driving.gif

or they are talking on the phone. they won't let you drive drunk, so they shouldn't let you drive and talk on the phone. That invisible thing is why I have dual horns

You were being irresponsible? Did you lose control of your vehicle or hit someone? I must have missed that part.

If you are on a wide open road, and can safely travel 100 mph, is that irresponsible? Is it irresponsible for me to take a corner marked for 20 at 40 mph when I know I can do it at 50+?(Well maybe a little)

I tend to try and stay away from people who are driving aggressively, if I have to bump it up to 75 on a ramp marked for 45 to do so then I generally will. I am by no means a pro driver, but I pay attention ALL the time, which gives me the edge over 99% of the people on the road.
Dr. Roger
heheheheee,

the race stories bring it out in me...

tonight i was getting on the on ramp, amazed how good she's running tonight, and upon entering the slow lane noted (i think) a cayman in the fast lane.

it's funny how some people see a car and just speed up. my car is one of those cars.

i smoothly slip into the next-to-fast-lane and wait.

rather that shift into 5th, i just left it in fourth and waited to for him to pass.
his speed: 75
my speed: 65 =-)
idea.gif
as soon as i heard his engine RPM rise under load i dropped the hammer.

av-943.gif

i can't wait till i get those extra big VW decals all over the car.
Joe Ricard
OK admit it. we all probably drive faster and have more fun in a 914 than most people.

But this is not the Dodge Aries board.. or big bad mini-vans club.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.