Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Page Mill Road @ Hwy 35 Kamikaze Runs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hybrid_Teener
Had a good day sunday, went to Capitola, got a nice deep red suntan, got bitched out by an ex girlfriend, so I decided to take a ride down 9. Went left at Saratoga Gap (now I'm on 35.) Drove a while... found it. Page Mill road. Tiny, messy road with several hairpins. I had to drive it REALLY slow behind a minivan =( But I was wondering if anyone has done this run at any speed? Has anyone driven it at all?

I was driving my Integra, but it's pretty narrow so you need a little car.2 lane though. Take a muscle car guy or a supra guy down that road and see if he can keep up! =D

I love that road.
Randal
QUOTE(Hybrid_Teener @ Jul 27 2006, 01:19 AM) *

Had a good day sunday, went to Capitola, got a nice deep red suntan, got bitched out by an ex girlfriend, so I decided to take a ride down 9. Went left at Saratoga Gap (now I'm on 35.) Drove a while... found it. Page Mill road. Tiny, messy road with several hairpins. I had to drive it REALLY slow behind a minivan =( But I was wondering if anyone has done this run at any speed? Has anyone driven it at all?

I was driving my Integra, but it's pretty narrow so you need a little car.2 lane though. Take a muscle car guy or a supra guy down that road and see if he can keep up! =D

I love that road.

Try riding up it on a bike. Great workout.

"222" has been up and down it many times. Moody road, which branches off Page Mill about 3/4 the way down from Skyline is also a great 814 road.
Tobra
Never been on that one, I personally really like Mosquito road up by Placerville, or Oakville Grade in the Napa area.

try check out pashnit.com, site about nice roads for bikes
lapuwali
I've done Page Mill, at various speeds. It has a lot of well-hidden houses on it with blind driveways, so there are plenty of sections where going fast is not a good idea at all. You do regularly get caught behind someone very slow. The uneven pavement becomes very exciting at any speed. You need very good suspension.

Hwy 35, btw, is quite heavily patrolled. Going fast there is begging for a ticket.

If you like tight roads, try climbing Mt. Hamilton.
grantsfo
Try loop that goes from HWY 84 to Stage Road to Pescadero Creek Road up to Alpine Rd.

Or if you are in Santa Cruz Area drive from Hwy 9 to Felton Empire Rd to Empire Grade Rd to Jamison Creek Road back down to Hwy 9.

...oh yeah deep red sun tans are dangerous, be careful.
richardL
Page Mill is a great Sunday morning road in the 911 - but watch for cyclists.

Alpine Road on the other side of 35 is fun also.

R
Trekkor
I've driven that, and Oakville grade in Napa.

I'm trying to keep my "fix" on the track.

KT
nebreitling
on a weekday midmorning, if you know the road and leave room to anticipate cyclists, you can absolutely RIP through sections of page mill road. be carefull, though -- there are many cars at the bottom of some of those runoffs (i'm serious). i saw a tow truck winch a carrera 4 from about 100 feet below page mill. car was completely demolished, looked like a low-survivability incident.

the upper section (alpine) is also a great road, as mentioned. take it all the way to the beach.
Randal
QUOTE(nebreitling @ Jul 27 2006, 09:40 AM) *

on a weekday midmorning, if you know the road and leave room to anticipate cyclists, you can absolutely RIP through sections of page mill road. be carefull, though -- there are many cars at the bottom of some of those runoffs (i'm serious). i saw a tow truck winch a carrera 4 from about 100 feet below page mill. car was completely demolished, looked like a low-survivability incident.

the upper section (alpine) is also a great road, as mentioned. take it all the way to the beach.

If you work anywhere around Palo Alto and drive 280 South in the early morning it is very temping to turn off at 92, head up to Skyline Drive, drive South to Woodside Road or Page Mill and head down the hill.

These are absolutely beautiful roads, but don't drive beyond what you can see/anticipate as people will pull out onto Skyline or Page Mill and you have to be in position to do whatever quickly.

But trust me you'll enjoy the ride, especially if you have the top down.

lapuwali
Drove this way home tonight, in the 914. I realized I hadn't been on it in 18 months or so. They've done quite a bit of work on it. Lots of new pavement in several places. That one super tight 1st gear uphill hairpin is still as much of a bitch as ever...
nebreitling
That one super tight 1st gear uphill hairpin is still as much of a bitch as ever...

keep it in second gear and throttle the car around. i'm serious.
ChrisReale
I ride that road on my motorcycle. Pescadero road is better, imho. Watch out for the law, they like to write tickets down there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.