Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Plgging Heat Exchanger Port into Engine Compartment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vesnyder
Last night, instead of reconnecting the blower fan in the engine compartment, I sealed them off? It appears they are only there to provide a blower into the engine compartment - is this accurate? Any issues/problems with this? Heat still seems to come through - is this an integral component of the heating system?

Thanks
SLITS
If you are talking about the "J" pipes that run from the HE up thru the tin, you can plug them off with no problem. They are actually INLETS to the HEs from the engine compartment blower fan.....forced heat to the cabin.

For heat, if the rest of the system is intact, you will have to rely upon the engine cooling impeller...not great at low engine rpm and your defroster won't work worth a crap.
vesnyder
Yes, I am talking about the J-pipes - thanks. I thought the defroster worked via the fan under the front cowel? I tested it and that fan continues to work and the rest of the system is intact - will work as good (or as bad) as my 1972 Beetle! Was the engine compartment fan suppose to come on with thw dash fan switch? Not sure it worked anyway?
Brando
The fan in the engine compartment assists with blowing hot air into the cabin when engine RPMs are low, as though you're parked or in traffic.

If you blocked the ports right on the fan in the engine bay, it will not blow air into the HEs, but the cooling impeller on the front of the engine will blow hot air into the engine bay (bad). If you blocked the two ports that come up on the sides of the engine (the "J" heater tubes SLITS is describing) then you just won't get hot air into the cab when you pull the heater lever.

The heater lever on the center tunnel (between the seats) only works the blower in the engine bay and the cables to open the heater flapper boxes. It will only turn on the blower when it is fully up.
G e o r g e
QUOTE(Brando @ Jul 27 2006, 07:09 PM) *

The fan in the engine compartment assists with blowing hot air into the cabin when engine RPMs are low, as though you're parked or in traffic.

If you blocked the ports right on the fan in the engine bay, it will not blow air into the HEs, but the cooling impeller on the front of the engine will blow hot air into the engine bay (bad). If you blocked the two ports that come up on the sides of the engine (the "J" heater tubes SLITS is describing) then you just won't get hot air into the cab when you pull the heater lever.

The heater lever on the center tunnel (between the seats) only works the blower in the engine bay and the cables to open the heater flapper boxes. It will only turn on the blower when it is fully up.

a side question, are you saying that blocking off the ports on the fan housing that feed the heat exchangers is bad? should you just leave them open to the environment?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.