914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914 dror
I have a `71 914 and I want to convert to the side shifter tranny
How do I go about it?
Do some body out there makes a kit ?

dror
SLITS
1st .......SEARCH

The components required have been discussed many times.

But.....here you go:

1.) Sideshift tranny
2.) Sideshift shifter, front bar, rear bar
3.) Conversion bushing for firewall
4.) Late style engine bar
5.) Late style engine bar mounts
6.) Late style motor mounts
7.) Late style engine mounts

Generally, #1, #2, #4, #5, #7 you purchase from a non-members who are parting a cars.

#3 and #6 you get from parts houses.
Brad Roberts
Are you really in Israel?

Do you need part numbers? or parts?

B
So.Cal.914
How many 914's in your neck of the woods?

Keep your head down and welcome.png
914 dror
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jul 27 2006, 03:02 PM) *

1st .......SEARCH
Thanks SLITS

I’m gonna use that search for getting some more info.
The thing is that I have a side shifter on my 71 914 but it looks like its a shitty conversion with few right parts and few improvised. And I need to see some pics. Of a conversion done right!
There is also the issue of the rubber garments or boots to protect the joints areas
Which I don’t know what would fit.
After I’ll know better what I need I’ll try to look for it.

dror

But.....here you go:

1.) Sideshift tranny

Generally, #1, #2, #4, #5, #7 you purchase from a non-members who are parting a cars.

Brad Roberts
Dror,

do you have a digital camera? It would be easier for us to tell you what you might need based on the pictures.

B
914 dror
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jul 27 2006, 08:08 PM) *

Are you really in Israel?

Do you need part numbers? or parts?

B

Yes Sirr I am really in ISRAEL ar15.gif

Are you really in U.S.A? Really? :shades

My 914 is suffering from 35 years of malpractice, lack of parts and poor mechanics
So yes I do need parts and any thing I need must come from over seas and there is allot of red type involved in bringing it in through customs.
But I’m a bit mueba.gif so I will put her back on the Israeli roads

dror
914 dror
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Jul 27 2006, 08:17 PM) *

How many 914's in your neck of the woods?

Keep your head down and welcome.png

Tanks for the welcoming, i`m happy to be here.

My head is always raised!
I’m not the kind of guy to take cover.
914 dror
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jul 31 2006, 07:42 AM) *

Dror,

do you have a digital camera? It would be easier for us to tell you what you might need based on the pictures.

B

Yes I do have one, as for right now my home pc is dead.
And I can’t upload files in to my office pc, but I’ll get that fixed soon and then I’ll show you my pride and joy.

dror
alpha434
If he had #1 then why would he bother with converting the other?

Another thing is that you can do a cable shifter pretty easy on a tail.
914 dror
QUOTE(alpha434 @ Jul 31 2006, 10:14 AM) *

If he had #1 then why would he bother with converting the other?

Another thing is that you can do a cable shifter pretty easy on a tail.

The car had been originally a tail sifter but some owner along the time (one of 14 previous owners icon_bump.gif ) replaced it with a side shifter and it worked but not too good.

I know side shifters are better, but I need the conversion to be done right.

dror
914 dror

1st .......SEARCH

But.....here you go:

1.) Sideshift tranny

Dammm!
I just spent 3 hour of my employer’s money to search for a good thread (one with show and tell) about doing the conversion - and no luck.
Can you direct me? Please? chowtime.gif

SLITS
QUOTE(914 dror @ Jul 31 2006, 03:02 AM) *

1st .......SEARCH

But.....here you go:

1.) Sideshift tranny

Dammm!
I just spent 3 hour of my employer’s money to search for a good thread (one with show and tell) about doing the conversion - and no luck.
Can you direct me? Please? chowtime.gif

Since I told you to search...I will take images of the various components and post them. It may take me a couple of days.
rick 918-S
assimilate.gif wavey.gif welcome.png
Root_Werks
Cool welcome.png
r_towle
Its really pretty simple as far as the parts go.

But to explain a bit.

Remove your old engine/tranny
once its out, remove the tranny..you can re-use the pressure plate and clutch disck, but now is a great time to replace them if you have any doubts.

Now, on the front of the motor, the fan shroud needs to come off (Its easier to see everything this way)
you need to unbolt the motor mount bar from the motor, this bar only works with the tail shifter.
Once the fan shorud is off, and you have the new motor mounts, and brackets in hand, you will see the holes in the case, on either side of the oil pump...this is where the motor mount brakets go.
the brakets bolt to the case, use locktight on these bolts,,,they are very hard to get to later...
On the bracket goes the rubber motor mounts, these should be new mounts...
On the rubber mounts goes the motor bar...
now re-fit the fan shroud.

Now, the shifter.
What you need for this is all of the shifter linkage, front to back including the actual shifter itself, this is all a bit different...

So, remove all the shifter linkage from the tail shifter, and inside the cabin, remove the shifter.

now, the motor is still out of the car...
on the firewall, there is a bushing that the old shifter rod went through...get a screw driver and pry it out...its not easy...but it will bend if you work at it...try to bend the bushing and not the surrounding metal...
The new bushing is really hard to put in..I boil it, in really hot water..it makes the plastic a bit more bendy, but only for a few miutes...so you may need gloves for this...
In any event... after you get the new bushing installed, you will probably hate your car and hate the idea of changing this to a side shifter...but that is really the worst part...that bushing...

The rest is simple...with the engine still removed, slide the shifter bar into the cabin, the short bar...one end of it will have a hold in it..that end faces the motor..

you can install the shifter now...it makes it easier to get everthing together in the following steps...

Now, install the new transmission on the motor..get all the muffler parts all bolts back in.

Re-install the motor and tranny together.
Once that is done, you take the rear shifter bar, and with the car raised up in the rear, you can feed the shifter bar through the motor mount bar from the front of the car, ind slide it into the shifter housing on the tranny.

The hard part is getting the front bar into the rear bar...i use two people here...
One person is pushing the shifter inside the car so that the inner bar is pushing back rearwards...the second person is under the car, pushing the rear bar forward...they slip together ok, if they are clean...
there is an allen screw that only fits in one spot...install that when it all lines up...

In the rear of the bar...you need to install the cup pivot assembly...
this also has an allen screw that fits in only one spot...so tap and twist till it all lines up...then screw it in..

NOTE..these allen screws tend to back out over time...so more locktight here is the right thing to do...

so, youare almost done...
You just need to align your shifter so you can get to all the shift gates...

I tend to do this, drive , then do it some more...
bring a set of vise grips, and a 13mm socket on an extension with you while you drive..

Between the seats, near the firewall there is a small cover on top of the tunnel...remove it...
I grab the shifter bar with the vise grips to hold it still...then loosen the 13mm nut that attaches the shifter to the bar..with the shifter handle and the vise grips, you can twist, and slide in and out on the bar till it all works perfect..then drive, do it again,,till you can get to every gear..

Good luck
Rich
914 dror

Since I told you to search...I will take images of the various components and post them. It may take me a couple of days.
[/quote]

Thanks again
i realy need to see some photos so i`ll know what parts i can still use and what parts i need to look for.
smile.gif
914 dror
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 31 2006, 05:41 PM) *

Its really pretty simple as far as the parts go.

But to explain a bit.

Remove your old engine/tranny
once its out, remove the tranny..you can re-use the pressure plate and clutch disck, but now is a great time to replace them if you have any doubts.

Now, on the front of the motor, the fan shroud needs to come off (Its easier to see everything this way)
you need to unbolt the motor mount bar from the motor, this bar only works with the tail shifter.
Once the fan shorud is off, and you have the new motor mounts, and brackets in hand, you will see the holes in the case, on either side of the oil pump...this is where the motor mount brakets go.
the brakets bolt to the case, use locktight on these bolts,,,they are very hard to get to later...
On the bracket goes the rubber motor mounts, these should be new mounts...
On the rubber mounts goes the motor bar...
now re-fit the fan shroud.

Now, the shifter.
What you need for this is all of the shifter linkage, front to back including the actual shifter itself, this is all a bit different...

So, remove all the shifter linkage from the tail shifter, and inside the cabin, remove the shifter.

now, the motor is still out of the car...
on the firewall, there is a bushing that the old shifter rod went through...get a screw driver and pry it out...its not easy...but it will bend if you work at it...try to bend the bushing and not the surrounding metal...
The new bushing is really hard to put in..I boil it, in really hot water..it makes the plastic a bit more bendy, but only for a few miutes...so you may need gloves for this...
In any event... after you get the new bushing installed, you will probably hate your car and hate the idea of changing this to a side shifter...but that is really the worst part...that bushing...

The rest is simple...with the engine still removed, slide the shifter bar into the cabin, the short bar...one end of it will have a hold in it..that end faces the motor..

you can install the shifter now...it makes it easier to get everthing together in the following steps...

Now, install the new transmission on the motor..get all the muffler parts all bolts back in.

Re-install the motor and tranny together.
Once that is done, you take the rear shifter bar, and with the car raised up in the rear, you can feed the shifter bar through the motor mount bar from the front of the car, ind slide it into the shifter housing on the tranny.

The hard part is getting the front bar into the rear bar...i use two people here...
One person is pushing the shifter inside the car so that the inner bar is pushing back rearwards...the second person is under the car, pushing the rear bar forward...they slip together ok, if they are clean...
there is an allen screw that only fits in one spot...install that when it all lines up...

In the rear of the bar...you need to install the cup pivot assembly...
this also has an allen screw that fits in only one spot...so tap and twist till it all lines up...then screw it in..

NOTE..these allen screws tend to back out over time...so more locktight here is the right thing to do...

so, youare almost done...
You just need to align your shifter so you can get to all the shift gates...

I tend to do this, drive , then do it some more...
bring a set of vise grips, and a 13mm socket on an extension with you while you drive..

Between the seats, near the firewall there is a small cover on top of the tunnel...remove it...
I grab the shifter bar with the vise grips to hold it still...then loosen the 13mm nut that attaches the shifter to the bar..with the shifter handle and the vise grips, you can twist, and slide in and out on the bar till it all works perfect..then drive, do it again,,till you can get to every gear..

Good luck
Rich

Thank Rich
I’m gonna print this and it would be of use when I’ll do the job, one thing though it is not a simple conversion cause I didn’t have the old setup and I don't know what exactly I do have here (some of the stuff is improvised).

where would you buy the bushings and rubber seals and the mounts?

dror
GeorgeRud
Pelican Parts, Perfomance Products, Automobile Atlanta ( I believe they still sell a kit to do the entire conversion), Mid America Motorworks all should have any bushings, etc. available.

Dr Evil
GPR at www.gprparts.com, call them as everything will not be on their site. Dave can help you.
orange914
icon_bump.gif
JPB
914 in Isreal? First ask yourself, will this 914 get me to Pettra in a hurry? If not then you need to get a 4X4 with foam filled tires. No joke bro!

beer.gif 66% of it's people will be wipped out when the time comes, are you ready to go?
914 dror
QUOTE(JPB @ Aug 5 2006, 11:43 PM) *

914 in Isreal? First ask yourself, will this 914 get me to Pettra in a hurry? If not then you need to get a 4X4 with foam filled tires. No joke bro!

beer.gif 66% of it's people will be wipped out when the time comes, are you ready to go?

weeeeeelll bring it on chowtime.gif
All houses here have bomb shelters since the seventies. Every household is fully equipped against atomic biologic and chemical warfare.
More then 65% of all civilians have gone through military training.
and never forget! osama bin laden looooove your ass bootyshake.gif
we ARE ready.
ARE you beer.gif ?

p.s. couldnt find the connection: pettra - 914 -4x4 ???
JPB
Cool responce and I love it!!! I think its spelled Pettra. Isn't it a mountain city in the hills somewhere in your parts where it is believed is a place of safety? Just shot that in for schmits and giggles.LOL This mountain retreat would theoreticaly require a 4X4 to get there if it is in the hills. As for the 2/3ds of the population being wipped out as prophecied for the 'End Times", it will probably be the army stationed for battle if an invasion happens. If it happens, hey, I would crap my pants but its just an interesting conversation piece as grim as it is. I'm certain you all read the Old Testament and probably scratch your heads like everyone does.LOL

beer.gif Gluck!
914 dror
QUOTE(JPB @ Aug 6 2006, 05:35 PM) *

Cool responce and I love it!!! I think its spelled Pettra. Isn't it a mountain city in the hills somewhere in your parts where it is believed is a place of safety? Just shot that in for schmits and giggles.LOL This mountain retreat would theoreticaly require a 4X4 to get there if it is in the hills. As for the 2/3ds of the population being wipped out as prophecied for the 'End Times", it will probably be the army stationed for battle if an invasion happens. If it happens, hey, I would crap my pants but its just an interesting conversation piece as grim as it is. I'm certain you all read the Old Testament and probably scratch your heads like everyone does.LOL

beer.gif Gluck!

Petra is in the country of Jordan, not likely to be a place of safety.
But forget about all that war and politics, this place should be a sanctuary for 914 people.
Leave the out side world out side.
driving.gif
Dr Evil
agree.gif well stated man.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.