Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Converting to 5 lug
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
WaideS
I know it's been gone over a ton of times, but when I searched there seems to be approx 9 ways to switch over to 5 lug.

My plans are to put in a 6 cylinder in the future.....The wife being 7 months pregnant put a hold on it currently, but she agreed to let me go 5 lug.........that being said.......I've been told I definitely want/need to go with bigger brakes when doing this and get away from the 914 rotors....Is that true, I have drilled and vented brakes that do very well now, but I want to do this right....

What is the best way to go for upgrading brakes and suspension and where do I go to find this stuff??

What is the approx cost all said and done?

I already have some wheels and tires, so I'm set there

Thanks for any assistance

Waide biggrin.gif
So.Cal.914
The front is easy, 911 late 80's SC. The whole front suspension bolts right in.

The rear, as far as I've seen, the easyest is to contact Eric Shea and get his

trailing arms/ 5 lug converted. Just bolt them in, 911 rotors and calipers and you

are rockin. I've seen the whole frontend for 500.00 and Erics you can find on this site.
MoveQik
See Waide, I told you it was easy. smile.gif
G e o r g e
or just bring tools and jack stands to RRC and take mikes biggrin.gif

joe will have it all done by thenyou should be all done with the swap before he knows what hit him burnout.gif
Eric_Shea
or just bring tools and jack stands to RRC

Take Joe's. He'll be too drunk to notice. (me? I don't drink)

Waider... let me know how I can help.
WaideS
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 27 2006, 05:14 PM) *

or just bring tools and jack stands to RRC

Take Joe's. He'll be too drunk to notice. (me? I don't drink)

Waider... let me know how I can help.

I just PM'd ya
Howard
Waide, you sorry sack of shit, give me the gas burners, vented disks, Bilsteins, and the dellortos. I got your 5 studs right here. You're gonna tear up that beautiful LE? flipa.gif

PS. How you been? or as we say here, Como tu frijole?
WaideS
Click to view attachment
QUOTE(Howard @ Jul 27 2006, 05:20 PM) *

Waide, you sorry sack of shit, give me the gas burners, vented disks, Bilsteins, and the dellortos. I got your 5 studs right here. You're gonna tear up that beautiful LE? flipa.gif

PS. How you been? or as we say here, Como tu frijole?

No, no, no Howard, I think everybody misunderstood me
I'm building a dually with the LE stuff inside and the 5 lug Fuchs on the outside, click on the attachment to see what I mean

It's gonna be AWESOME

I should learn how to add pix
WaideS
Sorry sack of sheet, WOW

Mueller
QUOTE(WaideS @ Jul 27 2006, 04:44 PM) *

I have drilled and vented brakes that do very well now, but I want to do this right....
Waide biggrin.gif

are you sure you have vented rotors?

very rare item for a 4 lug vehicle (it's possible, I have them as do others, but makes no sense to get rid of them unless you "have" to have 5 lug rims)
WaideS
Howard,
I heard you wanted the center caps too
They are being sold seperate

Mi frijole is muy bueno y tu

I hear rumors you are coming down to RRC
Very nice, you're bringing your 914 this time though...right
I saw pix of the route 66 and you seem to be in an upgraded model
Dave_Darling
Pelican has a tech article that outlines most of the ways you can go five-lug.

Vented rotors are very hard indeed to do with four-lug wheels. (Pretty much, you gotta buy the billet hubs from the store here--if it ever comes back up...) If you have those, then the only thing going five-lug will gain you (IMHO) is a wider selection of wheels.

--DD
WaideS
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 27 2006, 05:43 PM) *

Pelican has a tech article that outlines most of the ways you can go five-lug.

Vented rotors are very hard indeed to do with four-lug wheels. (Pretty much, you gotta buy the billet hubs from the store here--if it ever comes back up...) If you have those, then the only thing going five-lug will gain you (IMHO) is a wider selection of wheels.

--DD

Yep Mueller, I do have vented and DD I have heard repeatedly that if you go 6 cyl then you should go wider tires and bigger brakes. Is that not true? Like I said, My car does have very good brakes currently, but I thought the tire size was needed with 225+hp instead of my warmed over 2.0 litre with ??? hp
gregrobbins
If you already have vented rotors, then you should have plenty of stopping power... UNLESS you plan on doing track events. Then you may want to go for bigger tires and brakes. 205 tires should be plenty for a street car unless you are looking to flare the fenders and go wider.

Lots of people who switch to five lug run the stock rear calipers. Wild6 has a 3.6L six installed and he does TONS of track time. As I recall, he has 996 brakes on the front, but stock on the rear. When asked about the rear, he says they work just fine and he has no plan to change. I have ridden with him at PIR and the car brakes well.
Mueller
want to share how you have 4-lug and vented rotors??

if this is true, what size rotors and calipers??

the setup is custom for sure so you might not need bigger brakes if you already have a decent setup....you can get wider rims/tires with the 4 lug.....

you have not mentioned what size /6...there are plenty of conversions running stock /4 brakes as well as early 911 (same as 914/6).....

just trying to help you save money and not buy something that won't gain you anything...besides, the more you know about the vented 4-lug stuff you have, the easier it will be to sell it...
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(WaideS @ Jul 27 2006, 05:54 PM) *

Yep Mueller, I do have vented and DD I have heard repeatedly that if you go 6 cyl then you should go wider tires and bigger brakes. Is that not true?

Vented rotors won't give you any better stopping power, but they will shed heat a whole lot more effectively. Wider, more grippy tires should give you better stopping power, assuming you have at least decent brake pads. But wider four-lug wheels are not that hard to come by, and will probably not run you any more overall than going five-lug.

If you have stock fenders, you will have difficulty fitting anything over 205s under them anyway.

--DD
Eric_Shea
205 and 215 on 16x6 and 7 with a 3.2 liter. Pulled fenders but not GT.

Probably a good idea to move up a notch IMHO.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.