Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Unexpected Phone Call from Jake
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DanT
I had sent an email to Jake's website a couple of days ago wanting to get some information about some parts and/or engine kits...

Was only expecting an email reply....

Out of the blue I get a call from Jake to discuss what I am thinking about building and what cams etc will work...
Suggestions for what will work without too much hassle with D-jet and what won't.

Told him what I was wanting to do with the motor and he came up with some good ideas that in the long run will probably be cheaper than trying to get stuff machined and cobbled together from several vendors. Like brand new heads instead of remachined 30 year old stuff.

Thanks for the call Jake, I really appreciate it and I will be contacting you in the near future about my motor. smile.gif
So.Cal.914
Non members kick a$$.
kdfoust
How much are new heads?
ppickerell
Gyhlenhaal? confused24.gif The snake? confused24.gif The guy with ladder? happy11.gif popcorn[1].gif
grantsfo
If I were going to have a 4 built I would definitely use Jake as a resource. He is one of the most knowledgable T4 guys out there. Nice to see him taking a differnt approach to his business.
DanT
QUOTE(ppickerell @ Jul 27 2006, 07:05 PM) *

Gyhlenhaal? confused24.gif The snake? confused24.gif The guy with ladder? happy11.gif popcorn[1].gif

Raby....as if you didn't know biggrin.gif
Bleyseng
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Jul 27 2006, 04:46 PM) *

I had sent an email to Jake's website a couple of days ago wanting to get some information about some parts and/or engine kits...

Was only expecting an email reply....

Out of the blue I get a call from Jake to discuss what I am thinking about building and what cams etc will work...
Suggestions for what will work without too much hassle with D-jet and what won't.

Told him what I was wanting to do with the motor and he came up with some good ideas that in the long run will probably be cheaper than trying to get stuff machined and cobbled together from several vendors. Like brand new heads instead of remachined 30 year old stuff.

Thanks for the call Jake, I really appreciate it and I will be contacting you in the near future about my motor. smile.gif

ok, what is your plan? Last I saw you were thinking about a stockish 2.0L.....
DanT
Still thinking about a euro p/c 2.0L with a slighly warmer cam and slight bump in compression or.........

Maybe one of Jakes 2056 kits with new heads and all the goodies to run with D-jet.

Keeping the stock FI is one of my main goals.

As a matter of fact he suggested contacting you, Geoff, about a nicely adjusted MPS for that set up if mine wasn't cooperating after putting it all back together.

Still mulling it all over. idea.gif idea.gif
Tobra
Why do you want to keep the D-jet as a primary goal, racing class or something?

Seems to me that you could do a lot with a more flexible system. Not to mention that all the little connectors and boots are old as the heads, not made of metal and have seen a lot of heat in their lifetime.

DanT
QUOTE(Tobra @ Jul 27 2006, 09:43 PM) *

Why do you want to keep the D-jet as a primary goal, racing class or something?

Seems to me that you could do a lot with a more flexible system. Not to mention that all the little connectors and boots are old as the heads, not made of metal and have seen a lot of heat in their lifetime.

Injection is working perfectly, so why change. And yes, I don't want to add any more points than necessary with our currents points system.

Besides, what I have seen with Megasquirt threads doesn't seem a whole lot more workable than Carbs....

I just like the point of trying to keep the car a sleeper....That is why I stayed with 4 bolt suspension, and the clean no nonsense interior and exterior...
Just my goal with this car...
Borderline
yeah, I'm impressed with Jake's approach to business. I bought a Mallory Unilite from him and asked questions about the advance curve via email. A day or two later I got a phone call. Nice!

I would like to hear more about the engine your planning. I'm trying to figure out what I want to do. When I first looked a the D-jet and saw the condition of the wires and all the components and the performance limitations...it had to go!
Bleyseng
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Jul 27 2006, 09:26 PM) *

Still thinking about a euro p/c 2.0L with a slighly warmer cam and slight bump in compression or.........

Maybe one of Jakes 2056 kits with new heads and all the goodies to run with D-jet.

Keeping the stock FI is one of my main goals.

As a matter of fact he suggested contacting you, Geoff, about a nicely adjusted MPS for that set up if mine wasn't cooperating after putting it all back together.

Still mulling it all over. idea.gif idea.gif

I can get you close but you will have to do a final adjustment on your MPS with a O2wideband meter or at a dyno.

I have got mine running pretty sweet without lean spots and lots of hp. I like the 9 to 1 compression.
Jake Raby
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Jul 27 2006, 09:00 PM) *

If I were going to have a 4 built I would definitely use Jake as a resource. He is one of the most knowledgable T4 guys out there. Nice to see him taking a differnt approach to his business.

Nothing with my business approach has changed. I have always done this type of thing for seriously interested parties and sometimes even with guys that aren't serious because they have no idea what they want or most importantly need!

The only thing that has changed is my emphasis as I decided to leave the 914 portion of my business where it was and advance with other vehicles where my work was more needed and appreciated. I sold my 914 and virtually walked away, not caring what happened.. Believe it or not since then I have been able to get more done, I am more concentrated and I'm not as grumpy about little things! The things that I have to offer now have worked for years,very well and I will continue to sell these items, but my specific developments go to other vehicles that really benefit from the TIV engine in conversion state.

Enough of that...

Dan is looking into a 2056 kit based on my D jet version of tune, it's essentially a stock engine with 96s, my cam and my other upgrade parts that'll deliver about 115HP at the flywheel with great tunability, drivability with a good kick in the pants down low and through the upper midrange.

The main thing is the fact that the engine will be easy to assemble, easy to tune and will drive much better than stock with cooler running temps.

That will cost more money than the 2056 (just a little) and you don't get the benefits of the kit. You have to depend on risking a machine shop to do your jobs right and you don't get any of my support. If you want this to be easy the kit is worth twice it's cost, everyone that has assembled one will say this.

If there were benefits to staying with the 94mm pistons things might be different, but Mahle's quality today is down the drain and the KB pistons are much stronger and lighter with better rings than the Euro spec set ups from the current batches. I quit even stocking the Euro specs, especially after 4 sets of them had balance variations of 15+ grams and were impossible to balance.

How much are new heads?

Info on LE head program
Read it all here, don't just look at the price, view the data, the pics and the text with descriptions. You'll see that these heads are a steal at this price.

yeah, I'm impressed with Jake's approach to business. I bought a Mallory Unilite from him and asked questions about the advance curve via email. A day or two later I got a phone call. Nice!

Thats what I try to offer to everyone, but sometimes I simply can't. I try to make product support the most important thing, especially when someone can hook up a wire backward and fry a 350 buck part.

I have a new way of offering product/customer support coming up in November, it will make things much easier to support and every time I answer one persons question it will benefit future customers from now on, all they have to do is click a button.

Okay, gotta go feed my fish and see if that big snapping Turtle (40+pounds!) thats been cleaning out my pond (sucker eats fish like you would not believe!) took the bait... See ya
Tobra
Watch yourself on that snapper, you want all ten of those fingers.

I still think I would get a new injection system and new heads when I do mine.
Bleyseng
QUOTE(Tobra @ Jul 28 2006, 07:12 AM) *

Watch yourself on that snapper, you want all ten of those fingers.

I still think I would get a new injection system and new heads when I do mine.

Those New heads from Jake/Len look great! and the price isn't too bad either.

Djet will work fine until someone comes up with a cheap alternative.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.