Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: I have Trigger Finger
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GTeener
WTF.gif Went to the doctor this morning because my right hand ring finger has be stiff, tender and sticks when I try to flex it. It's been like this for over a week. I'm thinking I'm too young for arthritis and I don't remember jamming my finger confused24.gif

Doctor says "You have trigger finger. I've seen lots of people with this since the weather got so hot."

So I ask the doctor "Is this a temperature/weather related ailment?"

And the doctor says "No one really knows the exact cause of it." blink.gif

Then he proceeded to give me a cortisone shot in the palm of my hand under my tender knuckle. In case you were wondering it FUCHING HURT! And tells meto come back in 2 weeks dry.gif

Beware of the mysterious trigger finger affliction!

Description
Trigger finger, also known as stenosing tenosynovitis, varies depending on the severity of the condition. Treatment ranges from rest to medications to surgery.
A trigger finger is a common problem that causes pain and catching. Tendons that help bend the fingers and thumb slide through a snug tunnel. Irritation as the tendons slip into the tunnel can cause the opening of the tunnel to become smaller, or the tendon to thicken so that it can't easily pass through the tunnel. As you try to straighten the finger, the tendon becomes momentarily stuck at the mouth of the tunnel then pops as the tendon slips past the tight area. This can cause pain and catching as you try to move the finger. Your doctor can diagnose the problem by talking with you and examining your hand. No X-rays or other testing are usually needed.

Risk Factors/Prevention

It isn't usually known what causes the problem. Trigger fingers are more common in women than men. They occur most frequently in people who are between the ages of 40 to 60 years. Trigger fingers are more common in people with certain medical problems such as diabetes and rheumatoid arthritis.

Symptoms

Symptoms usually start without any injury. You may feel pain in the palm, sometimes along with swelling or a small lump. You may feel the catching or popping sensation in the finger or thumb joints. Stiffness and catching tend to be worse after inactivity, such as when you wake in the morning, but will often loosen up with movement. When it breaks free, it may feel like the finger joint is dislocating. In severe cases the finger may become stuck in a bent position so that it can't be straightened even with the help of other fingers. One or more fingers can be involved.
brant
ouch...
i hate needles!

brant
Toast
Ow! Hope this goes away! sad.gif
Qarl
That sucks! Hope it gets better. Nothing like jamming a needle in your hand so it can feel better.

If it's any consolation, I have trigger finger too...

Just ordered one of these to carry...

Tobra
Yeah, I hate giving people shots into the palm of the hand or sole of the foot, hurts like a MFer and I am damn good at it.
jonwatts
Trigger finger? Does it itch?

Don't touch your mouth or next you'll get hoof-n-mouth disease.
(see, Trigger was a horse...)

You can smack me upside the head in person at work tomorrow.
TINCAN914
QUOTE(jonwatts @ Jul 27 2006, 08:59 PM) *

Trigger finger? Does it itch?

Don't touch your mouth or next you'll get hoof-n-mouth disease.
(see, Trigger was a horse...)

You can smack me upside the head in person at work tomorrow.

chairfall.gif chairfall.gif Sorry, (spoken in my best Larry the cable guy voice) I don't care who you are dat's funny right dare..
Received 5 shots in the left had when I ran the putty knife down the middle of the ring finger. I feel for ya Gwen,,, Feel better...
So.Cal.914
I get that when I've been away from the range to long. Got rid of the Glock,

picked up a H&K USP 40. Hope it gets better soon sounds painful.
STL914
Gwen,

I had trigger finger several years ago in my left thumb. It too would lock into position and was very painful when I forced it to bend. My Doc did the cortisone shot treatment and it seemed to work for a bit. Eventually, I had him do the surgery where he cut the "tunnel" to pemit the tendon to pass thru easily. That seemed to do the trick.

Good luck with your finger. biggrin.gif
Chogokin
Ouch! I bet that sucked! sad.gif I left my trigger finger in Iraq...
Click to view attachment
Traded it in for a boxers fracture biggrin.gif
GTeener
Hoping the cortisone shot does the trick. They say it is only effective 50% of the time though dry.gif Surgery has got to be less painful than another shot in the palm wacko.gif The doc didn't even wait for the anesthetic shot to set in before he stuck me with the cortisone chair.gif

This is a good webpage if information http://www.e-hand.com/hw/hw022.htm

Jon,
Didn't you mamma teach you not to call ladies horses or dogs. And if your mamma didn't learn ya, your wife must have! My left hand works just fine for slapping biggrin.gif
nomore9one4
QUOTE(STL914 @ Jul 28 2006, 03:27 AM) *

Gwen,

I had trigger finger several years ago in my left thumb. It too would lock into position and was very painful when I forced it to bend. My Doc did the cortisone shot treatment and it seemed to work for a bit. Eventually, I had him do the surgery where he cut the "tunnel" to pemit the tendon to pass thru easily. That seemed to do the trick.

I have this same problem. Its been going on for about 4 months. headbang.gif I ain't going to no doctor until I can't move it anymore sad.gif
GTeener
QUOTE(boboli914@att.net @ Jul 28 2006, 12:51 PM) *

QUOTE(STL914 @ Jul 28 2006, 03:27 AM) *

Gwen,

I have this same problem. Its been going on for about 4 months. headbang.gif I ain't going to no doctor until I can't move it anymore sad.gif

Suit yourself. Personally I like all 10 fingers working and painless. screwy.gif I know...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.