Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Got 914 Optional Equipment codes?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
JeffBowlsby
The only listing of 914 optional equipment codes I recall is in Brian longs book and I have them reproduced on my 914 Can Am website. The list of optional eqiopment codes I have seen is surely not complete or accurate for the other years. Anyone have a comprlehensive list of all the codes or even a few of the codes? Someone has recently asked me for info on a code I have not seen..."778" and I dont knwo where to begine looking.

My guess is that they might be in some dealer-only or special factory literature or similar reference. They are not on the COAs or Window Stickers...here is what I do have:

Help.
grasshopper
What about M471? GT package.
Tobra
I installed dual hella horns recently for less than $30, interesting that it is cheaper 30 years later

How about the tire chains, or ski/luggage rack? Man, where would you look for that stuff, old sales brochure perhaps?
grasshopper
I think those were dealer option??
GWN7
QUOTE(Tobra @ Jul 27 2006, 10:43 PM) *

I installed dual hella horns recently for less than $30, interesting that it is cheaper 30 years later

How about the tire chains, or ski/luggage rack? Man, where would you look for that stuff, old sales brochure perhaps?

Snow chains are still avaiable for the 165's part #911 361 909 00 smile.gif
JeffBowlsby
The snow chains and ski racks are dealer accessory items, I am inquiring about Factory installed optional equipment, not dealer mounted accessories.

When we think we know so much about the 914, there always seems to be more to discover...
tod914
Jeff did you ever contact Walter Miller at the automobilia museaum in ny state? He has tons of literature.

http://www.autolit.com/About/walter_miller.html he might have some items of interest.
JeffBowlsby
A couple times, for specific items. All he seemed to have for the 914 was sales literature, not dealer pubs, no rare factory stuff or anything esoteric.

He sent me a a full list of what he had for the 914 and it wasnt much that isnt on ebay everyday.

QUOTE(tod914 @ Jul 28 2006, 12:23 PM) *

Jeff did you ever contact Walter Miller at the automobilia museaum in ny state? He has tons of literature.

http://www.autolit.com/About/walter_miller.html he might have some items of interest.

Gustl
all these M-option numbers occured at the price lists

I do have some of them, unfortunately not all years
unfortunately I only have the standard price lists, which refere to other additional price lists sad.gif

I'll scan some and post them, but it will take a couple of hours because I'm a little busy right now ...

wavey.gif Gustl
Gustl
here's the German price list from MY'72

valid from 1 Sept 1971

Gustl
here's the German price list from MY'73

valid from 1 Aug 1972
Gustl
here's the German price list from MY'74

valid from 15 Aug 1973
Gustl
here's the German price list from MY'75

valid from 2 Jan 1975

JeffBowlsby
Thanks Wolfgang, that is great information. I will tabulate it and develop a master list to post. I am looking for a description of what the M778 option is. Found it on the COA for Creamsicle VIN 14423 on the 914 Can Am Registry.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jul 29 2006, 10:53 AM) *

Thanks Wolfgang, that is great information. I will tabulate it and develop a master list to post. I am looking for a description of what the M778 option is. Found it on the COA for Creamsicle VIN 14423 on the 914 Can Am Registry.

WOW! Where has this stuff been hiding? WOW!!!
Gustl
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 30 2006, 03:11 AM) *

WOW! Where has this stuff been hiding? WOW!!!

... at my collection laugh.gif

I'll post the M778 question at the german forum
maybe someone there could have more / other price lists?

wavey.gif Gustl
davep
Would M778 be the LE equipment list as a package?
JeffBowlsby
Wolfgang has turned me on to some information that leads me to believe the USA 914LE cars are optional equipment M470 and the ROW 914GTs are M471. Trying to verify it now.
davep
http://www.kindel.com/Porsche/options.asp

http://porsche.elevate.nl/technical/OptionCodes.html

Some resource links. Problem is, I think the meaning of an option code depended on the model and the year.
Gustl
QUOTE(davep @ Aug 11 2006, 06:55 PM) *

Problem is, I think the meaning of an option code depended on the model and the year.

agree.gif
Gustl
here is an optional price list from MY'71

valid from March 1, 1971

I just post the 914 relevant stuff, but as you can see on the first page it's also for the 911

unfortunately I don't have it - I just got it from a german collector / friend

there are lots of M-options

Gustl
here are the 914 related M-options
Gustl
additional scan from the same price list

interesting, that these accessoirs were available directly from Porsche
there are listed such things like various suit cases, travel bags as well as the ski rack (check out that it has a 914.xxx part number)

Jacco
Hey Jeff,

have you are anybody else tried to contact Porsche Classic in Germany.
Sorta OT but when I was looking for M-option codes for my VW Beetle which I could not find online the VW heritage people send me a huge package of all M-Codes known to them, all I did was send a letter requesting this information.
This still didn't produce the code I was looking for but at least I knew for sure I am probably not going to find out what the specific option is.

good luck on your queste

Jacco
JeffBowlsby
Hi Jacco,

I have not contacted Porsche Classics lately. I recently corresponded with PAG (Porsche Archives Germany - maybe they are the same?) but don't know how to contact Porsche Classics. Some friends of mine in Germany tried contacting Porsche classics on other questions and only had limited success. Do you know of a good way to contact them?
Gustl
Jacco - good idea thumb3d.gif - many thanks!
Jeff, I'll contact these guys with this question within the next days.
I still have their eMail address from further questions.
I know it's not easy to get their eMail, but once I had success smilie_pokal.gif

With my last mails (concerning some GT, LE, SL questions as well as some 916 infos) I got the impression that these guys are not really competent with the 914. A german friend told me that most of the "old guys" are out of the bussiness and the young guys don't have the "basic knowledge" ...

well, we'll see

wavey.gif Gustl
JeffBowlsby
I have tabulated all the optional equipment codes from the price lists and a couple other sources, and added then to a new webpage to my 'Collectibles' website (see link in my signature below) with the table. Take a look and tell me what you think or if there is more data to add.

The description of the German price lists and internal ordering pages for the M470 and M471 optional equipment codes for the 1974 and later 914/4 GT and 914 LE cars include only alloy wheels, anti-roll bars and the special design front spoiler. That’s a good beginning, but it not a complete description of these cars. What about the other characteristics of the 914/4 GT, LE and SL, how are they designated in the optional equipment codes or was there some other description?

If its true that these M-codes are the descriptions for the 914 LE and 914 GT in whole or in part, then I think we are also missing another code for the Japan market 914 SL cars. Maybe it is M472?

I have yet to locate an official, complete factory specification or description of the standard equipment for these cars. Their required standard equipment should include:

• Specification of 1974 914 Porsche 2.0L base vehicle
• Comfort Group equipment which included leather steering wheel and shift boot, foglights, dual horns and center console with gauges.
• M470 optional equipment for the 914 LE – Mahle wheels, anti-roll bars, front spoiler
• M471 optional equipment for the 914 GT – Mahle wheels, anti-roll bars, front spoiler
• M___ optional equipment for the 914 SL? – Fuchs wheels, anti-roll bars, front spoiler
• Base body color specification of either L041 Black or L80E Light Ivory
• Accent color specification of L13K Sunflower Yellow or L32K Phoenix Red
• Painted accent color bumpers, wheel centers, spoiler and valences and side stripes
• Black painted Targa bar rear trim
• Wheel specification of Mahles for 914 LE and 914 GT, and Fuchs for 914 SL
• Side stripe specification of negative stripes for 914 LE and 914 SL, solid for 914 GT
• Bilsteins?
• Omitted Targa bar vinyl for 914 LE and 914 SL and added Targa vinyl for 914 GT
• Numbered dash medallion for the 914 GT
Bleyseng
So what about the M471 option for 75 cars??
Gustl
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Aug 19 2006, 02:31 AM) *

So what about the M471 option for 75 cars??

due to the fact that the M471 option occured late in the MY'74, it seems to be possible that they had to sell off the production of (possibly) 1000 cars
as we heared sometimes that these cars were no top sellers this might have taken a longer time idea.gif

wavey.gif Gustl
Bleyseng
Even back then, some people loved them or hated them. They did fit in with some of the funky marketing that was going on like the Duster, Roadrunner, RSR etc.
Rusty
I'm going to give this thread a bump... it's a great one.

Hopefully someone has some hard U.S. OEM codes for Jeff. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.