Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tall foam air cleaners for 6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
retrotech
Can some one please send me pictures of tall foam air filters, mounted on 6 cyl. carbs? And where you bought them?

Thanks
Joe Bob
IPG or something? JP has a set....
retrotech
JP, thats where I think I saw them. Red & Black?
Some one please send picture & where to buy them.
Joe Bob
QUOTE(retrotech @ Jul 27 2006, 08:55 PM) *

JP, thats where I think I saw them. Red & Black?
Some one please send picture & where to buy them.

"I" actually bought them for him....I traded them for the neeto torpedo billet ones I have on my 2.2.

You will have to ask him where though....I gots CRS Disease.... blink.gif
xitspd
Foam filters used on Jeff Hayes 3.8 914-6. Both Jeff and the car were very fast....

Dan
Aaron Cox
look at Pipercross AND ITG filter setups
retrotech
Nope, don't like those. They are going to extend out the top of my engine lid. I want them as tall as possible.
JP where are you?
Root_Werks
ITG has a few different set-ups and hieghts to choose from. Thier big claim is pulling the air from the top of the filter, not having the top of a regular K&N filter type set up where you have 1/2" from the stacks (or less) to the hat of the air cleaner. Thus making the air turn a sharp corner.

I think this is thier web site:
http://www.itgairfilters.com/index.asp

retrotech
Thanks Root, I think there Red Band may be what I am looking for, but I couldn't find any pictures of them. I also like there rounded stacks, but don't see a webber part. Site looks good, but not as informative as it could be.
Pictures if anyone has some.
I have already discovered the loss of power do to small clearance of K&N. I have made my own that work great, but I am going to taller intake manifolds, that will extend beyond the engine lid.
Root_Werks
Crapy phone camera shot, but these are probably the ones you will want to get. Get them as tall as you can. wink.gif
brant
QUOTE(retrotech @ Jul 27 2006, 10:48 PM) *

Nope, don't like those. They are going to extend out the top of my engine lid. I want them as tall as possible.
JP where are you?

hmmm..
it may not be a good idea to run these extended out of the engine lid.

I hope you realize that the racers won't (shouldn't) run these in the rain?

most of the racers I know insist on using the K/N solid tops if its raining and not these. So makes me think that they would not be a good idea for street use... and especially not if they are extended out the top of the engine lid.

brant
retrotech
No problem, I never drive it in the rain, no ventialtion or wipers. I bet it would be easy to insert an piece of Plexi in the top, inside if needed. As long as they were tall enough to provide mega air intake from sides, above stacks.
These are what I am running with stock manifolds.
brant
those are interesting
On my old -4 race car, I had just taken 2 K/N's and glued them together to make a double tall. then ran the regular tops

you could do that also, and they would likely be taller than the ITG's

Regarding ITG's on the street. I know you never drive in the rain, but what are you going to do if you go on a 20 mile tour and unexpectedly it starts raining. Are you going to pull over and jump out and cover the aircleaners with ?, while you wait 2 hours for the rain to stop?

its easy with a race car. your never more than 2 minutes away from a trailer.

brant
Aaron Cox
humm... how did you "cut down" the edge of the filter?
retrotech
Maybe I should just stick with what I have made, and not have to cut that angle.
They are 6" K&N filters. Not as atrtractive as the foam, but the visible stacks are kinda cool looking.
It would be allot easier and more sanitary looking, with flat plexi tops.
I cut the with air/carbon cutting wheel.
J P Stein
The ITGS are a PITA if it rains. When not running ya gotta cover them to keep the rain off em' otherwise the rain soaks into them and when you light the motor off....

Mine are not as tall as the metal topped jobbies shown in that pic. I have the tall manifolds, but they fit under the edge of the trunk lid.
A pic prolly won't help much, but here it is.
retrotech
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jul 28 2006, 04:15 PM) *

The ITGS are a PITA if it rains. When not running ya gotta cover them to keep the rain off em' otherwise the rain soaks into them and when you light the motor off....

Mine are not as tall as the metal topped jobbies shown in that pic. I have the tall manifolds, but they fit under the edge of the trunk lid.
A pic prolly won't help much, but here it is.

Engine looks great. If you get a chance, can you get a side angle, so I can see manifolds, and how far the tops of the filters are?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.