Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is my 914 worth?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vesnyder
Despite all the work (including blood and sweat, literally) I am considering (remote possibility) selling my 914. Much of it depends on what I can get for it? I have a salvage titled '73 914 that has undergone a complete amateur restoration over the past 18 months. Everything outside of the rear brakes and bearings have been done and renewed or replaced. I just completed resealing the engine and it was a success. Many of you have tracked my projects and I was just wondering what it is worth? I will most likely drive it through teh remainder of the Summer and if I do decide to sell will most likely be in the Spring when I can maximize my return - but what do you think - $5k or $8k - or am I dreaming even getting $5?
boxstr
Sports Car Market price guide gives the Porsche 914-4 73-75 1.8 $5000-7500
2.0 $6000-$9000.
It is all dependent on the condition of your car, and the person who buys your car. You can put it out their for $9000. But it had better be a pristine 2.0 with no stories or it is going to languish in your garage through the winter and up until next summer, when you try to sell it once again, at a reduced price.
Don't wait, get the car out on the market right now. Clean it and wax it and make it look the best it ever has, or people will just say thanks but I will keep looking.
Put the car on ever list that you can think of, and don't think that ebay is evilbay. I have sold a number ogf cars on ebay. It reachs that broadest market and it has the potential to pressent your car to the world. I just sold a 914-6 to a fellow in Spain.
Good luck.
Craig at CAMP
bdstone914
QUOTE(vesnyder @ Jul 28 2006, 05:21 AM) *

Despite all the work (including blood and sweat, literally) I am considering (remote possibility) selling my 914. Much of it depends on what I can get for it? I have a salvage titled '73 914 that has undergone a complete amateur restoration over the past 18 months. Everything outside of the rear brakes and bearings have been done and renewed or replaced. I just completed resealing the engine and it was a success. Many of you have tracked my projects and I was just wondering what it is worth? I will most likely drive it through teh remainder of the Summer and if I do decide to sell will most likely be in the Spring when I can maximize my return - but what do you think - $5k or $8k - or am I dreaming even getting $5?

You are nit dreaming to ask 5K. If you check the other ads for cars you see wher anotherowner is asking $17K for a low miage 1973 2.0L. The completeless helps sell ir for a higher price. I see in the picture a rocker panel is not there. Check out on the www.samba.com for cars for sale as a comparison. You may do better with it in the midwest due to the scaricity of clean cars. Ask 9K OBO. You can always come down but not up. Good luck.
tommyg
salvage title has a big effect on your asking price, at least for me.

9 times out of 10, I'll just avoid it. $8k for a salvage title, you're dreaming. Others may argue, but put it out there for that, and you'll see soon enough, nobody will buy it, as you can get a very nice condition '73 or '74 2.0 for $8k. I wouldn't even look at a salvage price over $5k.

from the sound of your description, you've done a ton of work. If you want to get serious coin, you'll need much more impressive photos.

JMHO. good luck.
ovilla
The only issue with salvage title cars is the ability to get insurance on them. In Illinois insurance is mandatory and most of the big insurance companies won't insure these cars. Aside from that, anybody with knowledge of 914's will appreciate whatever work you have done to it and will place a value on that. These cars are getting older and scarce and are becoming the new "356". I mean nobody can even touch a 356 anymore and who's going to spend money restoring a 924 or 944. Finally, just make the car as complete as possible so that folks know this is not a parts car and then market it more as a possible track car. Good luck to you!
PinetreePorsche
QUOTE(ovilla @ Aug 17 2006, 05:48 PM) *

The only issue with salvage title cars is the ability to get insurance on them. In Illinois insurance is mandatory and most of the big insurance companies won't insure these cars. Aside from that, anybody with knowledge of 914's will appreciate whatever work you have done to it and will place a value on that. These cars are getting older and scarce and are becoming the new "356". I mean nobody can even touch a 356 anymore and who's going to spend money restoring a 924 or 944. Finally, just make the car as complete as possible so that folks know this is not a parts car and then market it more as a possible track car. Good luck to you!

Some states have more lenient titling rules, esp for cars as old as ours. S. Carolina comes to mind--there may be others. Sell it to a friend who lives there, who can get it titled, and sell it back to you! Might take a week or two, but you don't have to transport the car there. The old is made new again. Good luck. -Chris
gregrobbins
Some states don't even have slavage titles. In Arizona my '74 has a salvage/restored title. I knew that when purchased and paid in the range you are considering. The repair work on the car was done by Ken Mack who had a shop in San Jose and knew Porsches. Salvage title was no isue to me, I based my purchase on the PPI of a friend and my personal inspection.

Salvage title on a newer car might be a concern. But on cars our age and value, even a minor fender bender is cheaper for insurance companies to write off. So lots of older cars that are perfectly good have salvage/restored titles.

Print out a list of all the work done to the car for prospects to review, and get rid of the Riviera wheels. The 5-8K is right for a "good" car.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(tommyg @ Jul 29 2006, 08:18 PM) *

salvage title has a big effect on your asking price, at least for me.

9 times out of 10, I'll just avoid it. $8k for a salvage title, you're dreaming. Others may argue, but put it out there for that, and you'll see soon enough, nobody will buy it, as you can get a very nice condition '73 or '74 2.0 for $8k. I wouldn't even look at a salvage price over $5k.

from the sound of your description, you've done a ton of work. If you want to get serious coin, you'll need much more impressive photos.

JMHO. good luck.

I agree. Most buyers will not know this and perhaps it isn't true of other states but I just bought Jim Chamber's Bumblebee Racer. It is salvage titled. I am having a bitch of a time with the DMV and CHP because anything that is salvage titled requires an inspection by CHP before it can be driven on California roads. It doesn't matter if it was inspected by another state and found safe, it must be reinspected. The worse part is that there is only one office that does this in Sacramento and she keeps telling me that she is not taking appointments at this time.
Salvage title does have an effect. It helps if you can tell the buyer why it was salvage titled. This was the kicker for me on the BBR.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.