Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: special thanks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nycchef
just wanna say thanks in public to leo imperial and dr. evil for coming to ny, working in the hot sun for 9 hours to bring my car back from the grave. there are no words to express my gratitude. just one pic from the man party afterward
Joe Bob
AHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh my eyes.......
Dr Evil
Gee thanks, Rich dry.gif Ya got my best side too.

It was my pleasure to comke out and help you. I am glad Leo was there to help me strongarm you into letting us (me) work on your car until we were satisfied with the results.
You and your family were very generous and made the visit even more worth while. I didnt have want for anything, they were like, "are you thirsty, are you hingry, do you wanna stay the night and ride back tomarrow?" You are all a real class act. smilie_pokal.gif

The ride back was uneventful. Kinda cool actually. It stopped raining once I got out of Brooklyn and didnt even sprinkle until I got near the house and that was nothing. There was lightning going on the whole ride home so I had a free show. I got in a little after 1am and my ears are still ringing. I think I need to start using ear pluggs.

Where's Ray? wink.gif

Thanks again, Rich. I look forward to the next time we all can hang out. I sent you a PM with other things you should look at on your car before beating it to death (which you know you are gonna do biggrin.gif ).
rmital
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 28 2006, 07:15 AM) *

Where's Ray? wink.gif

...spoke to Richie this morning....sounds like I missed a real good one. I really could have used all the knowledge passed around from that 9 hour session!

Mike,
Thanks for keeping Rich in the game...it wouldn't be the same without him around here...or 914less...

Ray
Leo Imperial
Why did you keep taking off your clothing Doctor?
As you can see in the picture I was feeling a little uncomfortable with your advances.

Rich - sorry it took so long to help. I think you should be OK for a while. I will look through my stash for you this weekend, but for now your gud ta go, so fuged aboud it. Liz love the cookies and you mom is a gem.

Oh yeah. What time is Ray comming?
Dr Evil
Leo, you smelled nice biggrin.gif

Ray is coming? But we are already done.
i love porsche
sorry i couldnt make it this time....was really busy with classes, what was done on the car?
Elliot_Cannon
Just about the whitest guy I have ever seen. Man, get back to the left coast and get some sun, you look like shite.
Elliot
Dr Evil
Elliot, it is hard to tan through grease and dirt dry.gif

Aaron, here is a quick list of what was done:
-Installed pertronics and timed
-Readjusted dry.gif valves
-Trouble shot AAR (its kaput)
-Swapped out some hoses, modified others with required removal of the decellaration valve (plugged some holes in the air system)
-Fixed buggered up wire on TPS
-Trouboleshot a few other wires

What I recommend doing before any long trips:
-Check, clean and tighten the CV bolts (there was a lot of grease on the trunk floor of the passenger side, IIRC)
-Adjust the throttle
-Adjust the clutch
-Fix the under the steering wrack cover.

It purrs like a kitten and actually has some power now. It will run like poo before it warms up due to the missing AAR, but after it warms up it aint too bad. biggrin.gif

We may have done more, but I cant remember. We hit it and kept going only breaking for lunch as soon as I got there. I left 8:30am from my house and got home at 1am. What a day!
turboman808
Looks like you guys had an awesome time. I would have loved to come but with the driving school today there was no way I was gonna get out of work.

But I might be getting better at driving.

When is the next wrenching session?
Leo Imperial
As soon as someone is broken again. happy11.gif

Mike its funny you should mention the trunk floor pass side grease thing - It was in my wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat dream last night. I think it will need attention soon. Dirty job and a good one for a wrench session.
Dr Evil
Wow, a 3hr ride to do one of the dirtiest jobs on a 914! Who could pass that up! wink.gif I am probably in so long as school allows. Basically, I am booked this weekend, next weekend is probably gonna be at Matt's, weekend after that I need to spend time with my family, and then school starts sad.gif Up in the air after that.
Rich is buying some of my magic bolts, though. happy11.gif
Dr Evil
I would probably make it, I just realized I am running out of BBQ sauce. AND, I DID have the ribs for breakfast. chowtime.gif Damn they were good!

I wrench, Rich cooks. What a great relationship. With his car and its needs I am gonna be well fed and fat wink.gif
nycchef
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 28 2006, 05:51 PM) *

I would probably make it, I just realized I am running out of BBQ sauce. AND, I DID have the ribs for breakfast. chowtime.gif Damn they were good!

I wrench, Rich cooks. What a great relationship. With his car and its needs I am gonna be well fed and fat wink.gif

told you, bbq for breakfast the only way to wake up. we start testing deep fried whole turkeys today. cajun rub, think it will go great with home made jalapeno corn bread, chipotle slaw...and shocks and springs replacement.
elwood-914
What did Dr. Evil say to the Pilsbury Dough Boy?
" Nice tan" happy11.gif
ptravnic
This is truly great news! boldblue.gif

What was the story w/the valves needing readjusted? Thought that was taken care of... confused24.gif

A 914 gets back on the road, another comes off... I burned a valve this past w'end on my trip to Ohio. Had to make an emergency trip to Buffalo on the return to swap cars. Parked the 914 until I have a full w'end to do the engine drop & replace the heads. It's currently running low compression on cylinder # 1 (50). Something went wrong when I tried the recalibrated MPS. I've got a spare set of heads that are getting cleaned up but I prob will not be able to get back up to Buffalo to do the engine drop til the fall. sad.gif

On a brigher note, I'll be able to chase down and fix the oil leak!

rmital
QUOTE(ptravnic @ Jul 31 2006, 07:46 AM) *

A 914 gets back on the road, another comes off... I burned a valve this past w'end on my trip to Ohio.

sorry to hear pete...I guess that noise we heard last Sunday ((sticky valve)) was a tell tale sign...
Dr Evil
The cylinder behind the driver (#4?) was loose and making a horrible racket. I did adjust them with the engine a bit warm so they are potentially a bit loose still, but it couldn't have been worse than they already were.
ptravnic
Gotchya Dr. Maybe the noisy valve didn't get tightened well enough. You are a star for helping out like you did. Leo too, extremely selfless - may karma repay you well.

Ray - that sticky valve sound was indeed a tell tale sign. I was a bit nervous about taking it on the trip to Toledo (UT is my alma mater!) but it's the car I had and I needed to use it. My pops (in Buffalo) took a spare set of heads to Napa to get the valves checked out and cleaned up but I won' thave a chance to get back up there w/him (he heads back to Nebraska in a couple weeks) until Octoberish. Ho hum, coulda been worse but is still a bummer b/c I'm out a couple monts of prime driving time.

Chef - I want a ride in your car! Now that it's running well it's time to start thinking upgrade to 2.0L or 2056 or dare I say, 2270!?! Then sway bars, brake rebuilds, turbo tie rod ends.... Oh, the disease is taking control...

nycchef
pete really sorry to hear this. you have been there for me if i can help tell me. clear a couple of days in your schedule i'll come to buffalo we'll do it in 1/2 the time. or if you can get the car back to the city i'll find a place to do it here. brother in law has an empty garage in n.j.
DBCooper
QUOTE(nycchef @ Jul 29 2006, 04:49 AM) *

told you, bbq for breakfast the only way to wake up. we start testing deep fried whole turkeys today. cajun rub, think it will go great with home made jalapeno corn bread, chipotle slaw...and shocks and springs replacement.

You HAVE to be from Texas, or spent some time here. This is the only place I can think of where that combination wouldn't raise an eyebrow. New York City?!!
nycchef

You HAVE to be from Texas, or spent some time here. This is the only place I can think of where that combination wouldn't raise an eyebrow. New York City?!!
[/quote]

not from, but spent a fair amount of time there . tough to wear my dallas cowboy shirts up here in giants land.
DBCooper
QUOTE(nycchef @ Jul 31 2006, 03:52 PM) *

not from, but spent a fair amount of time there . tough to wear my dallas cowboy shirts up here in giants land.

I know what you mean. Back in the Montana years I sometimes used to wear Cal and 49'er shirts, so the folks at my company built a little Giants shrine in a corner. Had to remind them that they were confused, the only real New York football team was the Bills. Those other "NY" teams are really from Jersey.

Well done on the food, by the way. Those folks need to try a few new things.
nycchef
49'er shirts

NINERS##$%#* i thought i liked you. does the name jackie smith mean anything to you.
ptravnic
chef - much thx for the offers. I may try somethig like that as the car is operable even though it runs on 3 cylinders.

I'll come up w/a gameplan in the next couple weeks (outta town again this w'end).

Sorry to hijack your thread. I'm V happy yours is on the road. You were close to "cliff therapy" w/your teener and its awesome to have you now backing away from the cliff!

DBCooper
QUOTE(nycchef @ Jul 31 2006, 05:28 PM) *

49'er shirts

NINERS##$%#* i thought i liked you. does the name jackie smith mean anything to you.

Jackie Smith the tight end? Not much, why? Anything to do with Tyrell Owens?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.