Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Serious Engine Rev Issue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vesnyder
Had this issue before my recent engine pull, but it is back. When coming to a stop and push clutch in the engine just redlines? When it first happened I assume it was the throttle cable sticking, but after replacing it has to be something else? What else could it be? It is fairly random - does not happen every time I stop. The last few times I just shut it down and start it right back up, and away I go! One of these time I am going to do some damage to the motor! Any ideas on what it might be? Something part of the vacuum system or throttle body that could be sticking? Not a safe issue to have! HELP
Cap'n Krusty
Classic symptoms of the clutch and throttle cables being intertwined. The Cap'n
Aaron Cox
i agree.gif

in the tunnel, your cables are twisted.....

push clutch, it also pulls on throttle cable
Allan
agree.gif Happened to me after "Dad" decided to work on my throttle set-up... dry.gif
machina
i use a little mirror to look down the tunnel from the front to make sure they are not twisted...
Demick
As others have said, it is very likely the throttle cable (even if you replaced it) because unless specific precautions are taken, it is natural to wrap the throttle cable around the clutch cable.

However, if this is not the case, it can be your deceleration valve. When they go bad, it usually causes very high idle like you describe. To test, just disconnect all lines going to the decel valve and plug them all (plug the disconnected hoses, not the decel valve ports). If the problem goes away, then the decel valve is your problem. Either replace it, or many people just remove it alltogether and leave all of the lines that went to it plugged. It's mostly an emissions device.

Demick
johnc
check the pedal cluster. The throttle cable ball attachment can be moved by the clutch arm when the throttle cable is slack. A fix is to make sure the throttle cable is tight enough! l
vesnyder
Johnc - I just went and checked my cable and I hope you are right! I worked on that cable for hours in the Spring, and I was sure (at the time) that I had the cables separate! Let's hope I got it this time!
914fan
I agree. Check that the clutch cable is not pulling the throtle cable AT THE PEDAL END. I dont see how cables twisted would cause a problem. Espically since the cables are in sheeths. But you never know. I have had my clutch cable catch the throtle many times. Check at the pedal cluster in the tunel.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.