Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: whats inside the heater passage in the rocker box?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ottox914
Took the day off work, getting alot done (finally) on the SDS install. The WMS wideband will end up on the dash, and has some fairly large cables/connectors to run back to the wideband sensor and connections to the SDS ecu. I was going to run this all thru the driver side heater passage in the rocker box. While I expect there is no need for ELECTRICAL shielding in this area, how about PHYSICAL shielding. I'd hate to have a wire rub raw in the rocker box area and short out the wideband.

So, how much protection will the wires running thru this area need?

And, when I'm done for the day I'll take some progress photos and post to my SDS thread.
Eric_Shea
whats inside the heater passage in the rocker box?

Rust wink.gif

Actually there's a heater tube in there. Someone should have pics. Probably a decent pic in my -6 restoration thread search "fixing the six". It might give you an idea where the cable could be run. Use rubber grommets on the holes the cable goes through... fairly common.
nomore9one4
Some say Jimmy Hoffa blink.gif
SirAndy
some guys having fun with a heater tube ...

Click to view attachment

and here's a closeup of the tubes ...

Click to view attachment

and the long the tube came from ...

Click to view attachment

smile.gif Andy
Brad Roberts
Hey!

Blast from the past. Thanks Andy!

Those where the days (of no pay..LOL)

B
URY914
Hence the term, "hung like a heater tube..."
maf914
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jul 28 2006, 10:14 AM) *

Hence the term, "hung like a heater tube..."

slap.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
ottox914
So if I'm getting this right, there are no bits of sharp pointy metal in there, and running the wires thru this area should require no special care. I was planning to put the wires in some sort of sheathing before running them thru this area, just wasn't sure how bullit proof the sheathing needed to be. Or should I just run them thru?

And, for blocking off the ends of the heat passages, I found these at the local hardware store, which are rubber and pressure fit right over the ends. 2.99 each.
TravisNeff
whats inside the heater passage in the rocker box?

Hmmm - SNACKS
tat2dphreak
I ran my push-button starter wire through it... (no heat anyway, so why not...)
Brad Roberts
Go ahead and bundle your wires with a large piece of heat shrink. You will be fine.

I *wish* I was hung like a small bear.... oh wait?

B
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(ottox914 @ Jul 28 2006, 12:13 PM) *

...And, for blocking off the ends of the heat passages...

IIRC, spray-can lids work also. And they come in lots of colors, so you can coordinate with the rest of the car! lol2.gif

--DD
ottox914
I was doing the spray can lid thing before, but wanted something a little better for running the wires. I thought with the heat in the area, wires going thru the cap, well, I just was looking for something better, and for 2.99 a piece, I got 4, 2 for in the car, 2 for in the engine room. Call me a big spender...
orange914
[quote name='Eric_Shea' date='Jul 28 2006, 10:20 AM' post='739890']
[quote]whats inside the heater passage in the rocker box?[/quote]

Rust wink.gif
seems a few of us have peeked in here sawzall-smiley.gif
mihai914
I hope these are helpful to you.
ottox914
Those are some amazing photos! I'll be running my wires thru there for the wideband O2 system, and expect I'll just find some rubber hose or something of the correct I.D. to use as a sort of a flexable conduit, then attach the conduit to the rubber end caps I found. I'll add some photos to the SDS thread tomorrow night when I'm done.
Eric_Shea
Yeah... if you're capping it of and there's no heat simply run it through the tube. It comes out in the right spot.
ottox914
Got the WMS wideband installed, see my SDS install thread for photos.
Dave-O
QUOTE(ottox914 @ Jul 28 2006, 09:24 PM) *

Call me a big spender...

Show the pictures of your TWM's or your Kiezers...then we'll call you a big spender
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.