Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Show me your rack...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Markeydoo
I am looking for some ideas to put togeather a bicycle rack for my 914. I have fiberglass bumpers and don't want to put holes in them.
Detailed pictures would be great. The rack needs to be real secure so the bike doesn't wabel or fall off.
Thanks
Mark
Chris Pincetich
I've seen the coolest bike set-up here by "Elliot" I think - he has a black 914 with 17" Revolution wheels. Basically built an adapter to mount a qucik release fork mount, like one would use on a pick-up or on top of a roof rack bar, onto a custom "L" shaped adaptor, then the adaptor bolts into the 3 holes in the under side of the targa bar that were put there by Porsche for the optional 914 ski rack mount. The front fork is held on the mount right near the edge of the targa bar, behind the driver or passenger headrest area, and the back wheel then rests on the back edge of the trunk (with some padding if desired).

Technically this set-up is custom and not really even a bike-rack. It is sooo small and inconspicous you could leave it on at all times if you used it 1-2 week.

I want a set of these adaptors and have $$$ but no machine shop! Somebody want to crank out a dozen for a group buy? dlee??? smile.gif
beerchug.gif
Elliot_Cannon
I've got the pics of my bike rack on the other computer. I'll fire it up and post them.

Elliot
anthony
I would get a second targa top and then mount a long tray bike carrier directly to it.

Elliot_Cannon
I made these to mount on the old ski rack holes at the bottom of the targa bar.
Elliot_Cannon
like this.
Elliot_Cannon
Forward bar.
Elliot_Cannon
Rear bar.
Elliot_Cannon
I clamped a tray between the bars and the bike mounts in the tray. Sorry for the lousy pics. Taken in available light with a $20 camera. I'll take some better pics with the bike mounted on it later. The bike was tested on the rack at WCC 05 at 100 MPH and didn't budge.

Elliot
Gary#
biggrin.gif Here's a pic of a nice bike & a nice rack - hope this helps beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.