Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Tow of Shame.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fiid
Lost a cooling hose today.... sad.gif and all the coolant.....

Turns out it's REALLY hard to get the air bubbles out of the system on the side of the road.....

lapuwali
Coolant?! You mean all the air blew out?

You have AAA, I hope...
fiid
oh the shame....

made it to the wcc and back a couple of weeks ago too!
MoveQik
QUOTE(fiid @ Jul 28 2006, 01:52 PM) *

Lost a cooling hose today.... sad.gif and all the coolant.....

Turns out it's REALLY hard to get the air bubbles out of the system on the side of the road.....

I had one of those tows once. I am almost positive it wasn't due to a cooling hose, however. I hope it is an easy fix and no harm was done.

Slight hijacked.gif ...Fiid, where did you say you got the "more cowbell" shirt again? Thanks.
fiid
Yup.... have AAA. Thu guy was cool - a former 914 owner in fact.... He's working on putting a Corvette engine in an El Camino, and also a 300+ci engine in a baracuda or something - (I don't know american cars well at all...).

QUESTION:
When you V8 or other wassercooled people need to put a sharpish bend in a 1 1/4" hose... where do you go for fittings that have the bump on the end to keep the hose on....?
lapuwali
You can buy or even make a flanging tool to put a dimple in the end of a piece of tubing. Look in the Eastwood catalog, or search here for some pics of heavily modified vice grips.
fiid
More Cowbell shirt came from http://www.bustedtees.com/
mightyohm
Shite!

I thought you had those cooling problems fixed! I hope this isn't still the header heating up the coolant lines?? Do you think a line just worked it's way off?

If you need help in disaster recovery tonight to get the car running again for tomorrow give me a ring.

Jeff
Mueller
bummer......

BTDT...but mine let out the magical electrical smoke, not that watery stuff smile.gif

IPB Image
fiid
QUOTE(jkeyzer @ Jul 28 2006, 02:03 PM) *

Shite!

I thought you had those cooling problems fixed! I hope this isn't still the header heating up the coolant lines?? Do you think a line just worked it's way off?

If you need help in disaster recovery tonight to get the car running again for tomorrow give me a ring.

Jeff

Oh thanks man... I had honestly given up on getting it running for tomorrow - not sure if I'll revise that or not - are you going from the city?

I think the hose has just been working it's way off for a while... sucky but true - I need to flare the fittings so it doesn't happen again.

mightyohm
Was not planning on it but I can drive up if you need a hand. Let me know before 4:30 or so.
lapuwali
I thought you were driving Greg Robbins down to the breakfast in the Soob. Or did that fall through?
TonyAKAVW
Like James says, modified vice grips work well. I modified a pair for my fuel line install (see my thread) and they worked great on the fairly thick stainless steel. Real beading tools are pretty expensive. Vice grips are cheap smile.gif

-Tony
fiid
QUOTE(lapuwali @ Jul 28 2006, 02:24 PM) *

I thought you were driving Greg Robbins down to the breakfast in the Soob. Or did that fall through?

Greg and I will probably show in the Miata - or perhaps the Soob... smile.gif His partner decided not to come with so 2 seaters are in the running....
Flat VW
QUOTE(lapuwali @ Jul 28 2006, 02:24 PM) *

THEEE Greg Robbins?
Who has let him out of our state?

John

P.S. I guess that's why he has not returned my phone call. burnout.gif
jimtab
QUOTE(fiid @ Jul 28 2006, 01:58 PM) *

Yup.... have AAA. Thu guy was cool - a former 914 owner in fact.... He's working on putting a Corvette engine in an El Camino, and also a 300+ci engine in a baracuda or something - (I don't know american cars well at all...).

QUESTION:
When you V8 or other wassercooled people need to put a sharpish bend in a 1 1/4" hose... where do you go for fittings that have the bump on the end to keep the hose on....?

Fiid, go to the hardware store and get a 3/4 brass ell and two 3/4mipx3/4barb fittings and sin no more....also please give Greg 5 bux for me for my NARP racing sticker...I'' pay you back...I promise....I know I'll see you before Greg...I won't be at the bkfst because of Lyn's surgery. JIm
neo914-6
Fiid,

You can get a 90 degree aluminum 1 1/4" elbow from Renegade. It's welded at 45.

A few of us watercoolers just bought an Earls 1.5" beading tool for ~$75. The smaller dia tools are cheaper...

boxstr
I double clamped the hoses. Two clamps at the ends.
Never fell off again.
CCL
jonwatts
Lordy Mikey, looks like he's got that thing up to a 30 degree angle!

QUOTE(Mueller @ Jul 28 2006, 02:07 PM) *

bummer......

BTDT...but mine let out the magical electrical smoke, not that watery stuff smile.gif

IPB Image

Dr. Roger
yep, the ol' vise grip trick is what i used too. copper pipe.

the hose i did have come off was at the bottom of renegades aluminum barbed filler unit.

barbed or flared? i'd go flared IMHO.

there, that's $.02 worth.

i hope your motor is okay!
gregrobbins
THEEE Greg Robbins?

John

Chill'n in San Francisco for a week. Great to walk around in 60 degrees breezes when it was 117 the day before we left Phoenix. Alas, we'll be back to face the heat Sunday. I'll give you call call when I get back, but if you need something sooner, ring up my cell at 623-939-2744.
MoveQik
QUOTE(gregrobbins @ Jul 28 2006, 11:42 PM) *

THEEE Greg Robbins?

John

Chill'n in San Francisco for a week. Great to walk around in 60 degrees breezes when it was 117 the day before we left Phoenix. Alas, we'll be back to face the heat Sunday. I'll give you call call when I get back, but if you need something sooner, ring up my cell at 623-939-2744.

Greg, quick.....I need a loan for a guy with a 780 credit score. He has 30% to put down but the loan will only be about $1.6 million....can you help? av-943.gif

Obviously kidding. Have a great vacation and let's go to lunch when you get back!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.