Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Turbo Tie-Rod Problems
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
Finally got my struts in and am trying to do a rough alignment at attach the tie-rods to the steering arm on the strut.

Guess what?

The tie-rods won't come down far enough to get the tie-rod end under the steering arm... headbang.gif

WTF.gif

Here's a couple of picks.

Allan
another
Brad Roberts
Lift the tire alfred.gif

Why did you take those off anyway? You should have installed them with the rest of the assembly.

B
Brad Roberts
Swing the strut out of the way and screw the ends back on.

Dont forget you can move the steering wheel....

B
Brad Roberts
I have NO idea how you got the boot all the way back like that!! Good job!! It is a pain in the ass...

B
Allan
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jul 28 2006, 03:14 PM) *

Lift the tire alfred.gif

Why did you take those off anyway? You should have installed them with the rest of the assembly.

B

They are new.

What will happen the next time I jack the car up and the suspension is at full extension?

The rod hits here.
Allan
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jul 28 2006, 03:15 PM) *

Swing the strut out of the way and screw the ends back on.

The problem I'm having is that the tie-rod won't swing down far enough to get the end under the control arm. confused24.gif
Brian_Boss
If you lift the suspension to get it together, make sure it doesn't break/bend something when it goes back to full droop.

I recently did the turbo tie rods on my otherwise stock suspension and don't remember this being a problem.
Aaron Cox
was on the phone with allan,

he said upward it has 60* of travel, and downward only has about 30 degrees....

i said use the turnbuckle flat on the shaft and rotate the shaft a half turn, now it should pivot 60 down, and 30 deg up
Allan
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Jul 28 2006, 03:34 PM) *

i said use the turnbuckle flat on the shaft and rotate the shaft a half turn, now it should pivot 60 down, and 30 deg up

Didn't work, It still seems to pivot up farther than it will down.

Found the flat spot on the rod.
Aaron Cox
then it sounds like you need to get another .5 turns on the rack side, or loosen a half turn...

try this.

loosen the inner side a half turn, then button everything up, then tighten it the half turn....
Allan
Tried loosening it at the rack.

No luck. It just looks like it's moving farther.

I think they may be the wrong ones... headbang.gif
AZ914
Huh.. I'd put the end on. This sounds stupid and maybe I just can't tell from the pics but is your steering rack/wheel turned all the way to the other side? Maybe jack up the wheel.. ?
Allan
Car is in the air and wheel is straight.

Wrong parts definitely..... sad.gif
swood
Just curious...what parts are wrong? Are there different TTR's?
Brad Roberts
Do you have the spacers in place?

Can you call me?

B
Brad Roberts
He has the right parts. He doesnt need the spacers he has in place. He has 911 struts so the spacers are not required.

B
Brad Roberts
He has the right parts. He doesnt need the spacers he has in place. He has 911 struts so the spacers are not required.

B
Allan
smilie_pokal.gif Success!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep, spacers were throwing everything off. Pulled them out and voila, worked like a charm.....

Thanks Brad....
Brad Roberts
No problem Allan.

Thanks for sharing your "build" with the 914Club beerchug.gif

B
Allan
Filthy but back on all fours.... biggrin.gif

Mmmm, 5 lug.

anthony
He doesnt need the spacers he has in place. He has 911 struts so the spacers are not required.

When do you use the spacers or not use the spacers?
Aaron Cox
brad... uh.. i have the spacers and 911 struts......

914-8
QUOTE(swood @ Jul 28 2006, 04:26 PM) *

Just curious...what parts are wrong? Are there different TTR's?

I believe there are different Turbo tie rods.

The Turbo cars use a different steering rack than a normal 911.

So there are "Turbo" tie rods that are made to be used with a Turbo steering rack.

And "Turbo" tie rods made to be used with a non-Turbo steering rack.

At least that's what I've read. Feel free to correct if wrong!
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Jul 28 2006, 10:44 PM) *

brad... uh.. i have the spacers and 911 struts......

Me too blink.gif
Brando
I have the spacers and turbo tie rods...
John
What spacers?

Rack spacers for bump steer? 10mm thick ones? I have them in mine with Turbo Tie rods and 911 struts. I had no problems.

It sure looked like his suspension came down a very long way. I don't believe that mine came down that far.
Brad Roberts
OK.

There is ONE part number for the 75-89 930 Turbo Tie Rods:

The 930 DOES use a different steering rack (but it uses spacers also)

The 911's up until 1989 use a 914.347.010.06 steering rack.

A 4cyl car with 4 lug struts has to use the spacer or you end up with 3-4 threads in the end of the tie rod (not safe in my book)

The 911 struts have a different arm on the strut tube. It can go either way (with or without) depending on whether or not you want bind in full droop lock to lock. If your dont want bind in that "rare" occasion... then pull the spacers out.

Funny "914-8" your didnt happen to write that did you ?? beerchug.gif

B
Eric_Shea
Koni Struts w/Spacers here.

What spacers?

Rack spacers for bump steer? 10mm thick ones? I have them in mine with Turbo Tie rods and 911 struts. I had no problems.

Spacer that go between the rack and the tie-rod. Not bump steer.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.