Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Did a autox driving school today
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
turboman808
I like this kinda autoxing. Must have done 40 runs today.

ANyways I think I learned alot and found where I can and can't push the car harder.

Hard parts was trying to focus on everything the instructors told me at once. My line are fairly good. Braking and gasing at the right point are my problem.

I also noticed after several runs that it seems to me the brake bias was using to much front. I adjusted it just a bit and it seems to help. I was stopping better and not locking up as easy.

I also got to ride along with instructors while they drove my car. Kinda pisses you off when someone who has never driven your car gets in and is faster then you. Last instructor to drive it had it timed and got a 50.3. I was getting 51-52 all day. But did finaly get it down to a 50.3 myself. Dam I bet if that guy had a few practice runs he could have got a 48.

Definetly worth it. I really feel I know the car much better.

There was also a afternoon autox but after being out in the heat since 7am and the aproaching thunderstorm I bailed. I was pretty beat. Right after I left it rained like crazy.
J P Stein
One of these days....before I'm nuthin' but a mass of sagging flesh & liver spots, I'm gonna do the Evo school. A couple of buddies who have done it now a whipp me by more than they use'ta. Tain't cheep & it's mid week around here. Some planning is required.
DNHunt
Tell us more about the Evo school JP.

Dave
Dominic L
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Jul 28 2006, 03:41 PM) *

I like this kinda autoxing. Must have done 40 runs today.

ANyways I think I learned alot and found where I can and can't push the car harder.

Hard parts was trying to focus on everything the instructors told me at once. My line are fairly good. Braking and gasing at the right point are my problem.

I also noticed after several runs that it seems to me the brake bias was using to much front. I adjusted it just a bit and it seems to help. I was stopping better and not locking up as easy.

I also got to ride along with instructors while they drove my car. Kinda pisses you off when someone who has never driven your car gets in and is faster then you. Last instructor to drive it had it timed and got a 50.3. I was getting 51-52 all day. But did finaly get it down to a 50.3 myself. Dam I bet if that guy had a few practice runs he could have got a 48.

Definetly worth it. I really feel I know the car much better.

There was also a afternoon autox but after being out in the heat since 7am and the aproaching thunderstorm I bailed. I was pretty beat. Right after I left it rained like crazy.

Very humbling letting an instructor drive your car isn't it? However i do it every once in a while just to see where i can shave some time.

Did you change your tires back to the one's you had on earlier in the season? Any spinouts? Heard my Bro spun out at least once!

I had to fill in at work so i couldn't make the school or the AX. Damned if I'm going to miss the next one in Sept though!

You going to the PCA AX @ PNC Arts center tomorrow? I'll be there with a vengence!!
Dave-O
QUOTE(DNHunt @ Jul 29 2006, 11:56 AM) *

Tell us more about the Evo school JP.

Dave

I did an EVO school last summer. All in all it was great experience. it is very humbling to have an instructor jump in your car and smoke your times! There are two levels of EVO schools. Phase 1 focuses on simple yet effective AX fundamentals. Such as LOOKING AHEAD, throttle and brake application, picking the correct lines. Instructors will also help you drive your specific cars. They will help you trailbrake on FWD cars, they spent a fair amount of time with me teaching me how to utilize lift throttle oversteer. Phase 2 approaches the "zen of AX". They set up multiple courses throughout the day teaching you how to visualize the course before running it. They explained it as having multiple runs on the course before even taking off. I didn't take the class but it appeared to be much more mentaly challenging. If you have the money and the opportunity DO BOTH! You certainly will not be any slower!
Joe Ricard
We haven't had an EVO school here since last year.... which I missed for some reason.
The other alternative is to get a Hotshoe to co-drive your car. When Hassan drove with me last year he was 3-4 seconds faster than me.

He is probably still a few tics faster still but I did beat him last event in his hot rod Honda.
Nothing like a full time mentor few like 8 events. We got the car dialed in and got me sorta fixed. Still not cheap replaced transaxle half way through the summer 2 sets of Hoosiers. oh well got to pay to play.
URY914
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Jul 29 2006, 04:46 PM) *

The other alternative is to get a Hotshoe to co-drive your car.

Joe, you need me to show you the line? biggrin.gif
Joe Ricard
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jul 29 2006, 07:52 PM) *

QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Jul 29 2006, 04:46 PM) *

The other alternative is to get a Hotshoe to co-drive your car.

Joe, you need me to show you the line? biggrin.gif

Nope I got it.. Starts right behind me. burnout.gif

In fact I'll be teaching Barry the ropes in a few weeks. Wonder if I can even drive a stock car.
turboman808
QUOTE(Dominic L @ Jul 29 2006, 11:46 AM) *

Very humbling letting an instructor drive your car isn't it? However i do it every once in a while just to see where i can shave some time.

Did you change your tires back to the one's you had on earlier in the season? Any spinouts? Heard my Bro spun out at least once!

I had to fill in at work so i couldn't make the school or the AX. Damned if I'm going to miss the next one in Sept though!

You going to the PCA AX @ PNC Arts center tomorrow? I'll be there with a vengence!!

No I used the same tires but spent alot of time messing with the suspension. I'm sure the sduspension isn't even close to what it should be but it's a hell of alot better. Set the front height right, adjusted the front bar, set the rear toe and had the front aligned. Also raised the tire pressure in the back to 38. I decieded to sell the other tires. Gonna get rather a nice chunk of change for them so I can put that towards other parts(fiberglass parts YAY).

I only had one instant where I really spun out. Actualy on my fastest lap I had gotten it a bit sideways near the start so I definetly could have broke into the 49s but that was my very last run of the day.

Gonna have to miss that one. Especialy since I am posting this at 4am and I haven't gone to bed yet. Think thats kinda far for me. I am seriously gonna try to find a house in NJ in the next couple of months. This comuting and the $600 in tolls a month is getting really tiring.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.