Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fixin' the back pad
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
djm914-6
I had dome some digging around in the garage the other day and found my old seat and back pad. I'm thinking these may go back into the car in liew of the Corbeau seats. But... (there is always a butt)...

The back pad is on pretty poor shape. While there are no rips, the material is just hanging off and looks old and stained with water damage. Then there are the 4 clips that attach the top to the firewall... they've been torn off.

Can this pad be fixed or is it better to search for another? If another is needed, what the chances of finding a good early pad ('70-'71)? Anyone cover these with leather? How about a recovered drives seat too... and more dreams.
Rick_Eberle
QUOTE(djm914-6 @ Jul 29 2006, 09:54 AM) *

Can this pad be fixed or is it better to search for another? If another is needed, what the chances of finding a good early pad ('70-'71)? Anyone cover these with leather? How about a recovered drives seat too... and more dreams.

I've just had my '70 redone in leather. It was rough before, but three and a half years in storage totaly destroyed my vinyl. Here are a couple of before and after shots.
Before:
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
After:
Click to view attachment
djm914-6
That's not too bad. How does one search for the right company to do the work.

I wonder if I can sell the corbeau seats?
SGB
The back pad is not a very complex shape. Find someone who reupholsters furniture and see if the can do it. I got some kinda naugahide chair material to rebuild my center cushion and console. I think you could do the same with the backpad.
Doug Leggins
I restored the backpad that I used in my car. The vinyl was in pretty good shape but loose mostly around the bottom perimeter. The fiberboard material had some cracks and puffed areas and 3 of the 4 hooks were partially ripped away. It took some time but I was able to restore the backpad to very great condition. I used fiberglass resin to fix the fiberboard and 3M spray adhesive to reattach the vinyl. I also used a Permatex vinyl repair kit to fill in a few small imperfections. The Permatex vinyl repair kit works well on small repairs. I also used color matched automotive vinyl dye to touch up the repaired areas.

Here's a link with some info and pics, page 7 & 8.

Backpad repair
krazykonrad
Ithink the originals were covered in just black vinyl. This may be a more stock and cheaper way to go. You might want to check with the guys in the concours section to make sure I'm right, which I rarely am. Best of luck with the project!
Konrad
Aaron Cox
tell me about these corbeaus....

acox914@comcast.net
djm914-6
what about repairing the clip thingies at the top that attach to the fire wall; can these be bought and then repaired or do I need a whole new pad?
Doug Leggins
Another member shared a repair method with me on how he had repaired torn away or missing clips. I was going to give it a try but was able to fix my hooks back in place using the fiberglass resin. The repair method was to rivet the hooks onto a larger square piece of metal, and then rivet the square piece of metal onto the backpad. Seems to me that it would work, but I haven't tried it. Used hooks should be easy to find. In fact, I likely have a few around.
morph
Repairing the back pad hooks is easly done with fiberglass,and then riveting the hooks back on. If you dont have them they can be made out of 20 or 22 g sheet metal. We restore back pads and any part of the foam to put it back to normal.some photos of one i did a few weeks ago. and a basketweave seats that went with it.still has chalk lines on the seats but dusts off with a rag.
james
djm914-6
morphenspectra, email or pm me a quote for an early backpad, passanger seat and drivers seat. I have a few invoices out that may cover the costs.

Aaron, the Corbeau (Forza??) seats are in good and fair condition. The passenger seat has hardly been used but the drivers seat has a tear where the hand brake kept hitting it. It also has a little red primer on the back where the wind blew some overspray in. I have one bracket to attach to the factory sliders. I couldn't even guess about shipping such and item.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.