Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Remove 4 lug Fuchs center caps w/o damage?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914rrr
I need to get my 4 lug Fuchs balanced. My local mechanic actually has the 7 gram stick on weights. I want to take off the wheels and the center caps b4 I take them to him. They are NOS and dead mint, and I don't want to damage them. What is the best method, tool(s), tricks, etc. to remove them?

Thanks!
Howard
I just use a wood dowel a little smaller than the ID of the cap and tap away. Look around your garage, bet you'll find something that works. Putting them back on is trickier.
914rrr
Thanks. I'm looking for something a little more 'acccurate'.
I thought I remember an article using a certain size PVC pipe to remove it.
elwood-914
I use a 2" piece of electrical PVC pipe. About a foot of it and I glued a coupling to the other end. I use the pipe to pop the cap out and I use the coupling to sit on the lip of the cap to reinstall.
Joe Bob
Channel locks and after a 12 pack? blink.gif
73Phoenix20
QUOTE(elwood-914 @ Jul 29 2006, 05:12 AM) *

I use a 2" piece of electrical PVC pipe. About a foot of it and I glued a coupling to the other end. I use the pipe to pop the cap out and I use the coupling to sit on the lip of the cap to reinstall.

agree.gif That is the only way to keep the thin metal from collapsing. Make sure you clean up the inside of the center hole with some fine bronze wool b4 install... they will go back together much better that way. I have even used a dab of dish soap on the cap flange to help ease them into place.
JeffBowlsby
I just grab them with my bare hands and wiggle them out. Takes patience but works. Do not allow the tire shop to get near them. I would be afraid of beating on them with anything they are so thin.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.