Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 4 1.7 timing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
HeloMech
Ok,

I'm trying to decipher what my timing is at. this is a 73 1.7, stock with djet.

Take a look at this crude drawing. At idle, the timing light shows the thick fan 'blade' right about the red dot at the rear notch. As I increase throttle, that thick blade and red dot head towards the passenger side of the car. From what I was told earlier this evening, that's the wrong direction. Is my timing retarding, is my engine running backwards (aieeeee!!) or did I just misunderstand the previous information?

What is the actual advance wanted at 3500 rpm's and where on this fan would that be indicated at the notch?

thanks,
Robert
JoeSharp
At idel thats to much advance. The red line should be in the notch @ more than 2500RPM. Clock wise rotation of the dizzy is advancing. You need to back it off(counter clock wise).
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
Dave_Darling
Check the Tech Article on the Bird site. It's got pictures and everything...

--DD
Bleyseng
The Red mark is 27 degrees which should be in the "notch" at above 3000 rpms. At idle there is a little white mark if present for 5 ATDC showing or not, who cares. Set the timing at 3500rpms with the timing lite as the advance setting is all that matters.
tdgray
Read the pelican article as DD suggested. After that here are a few words of advise.

This is what I did.

Go buy a timing light with an advance on it.

Rotate the engine until you find the TDC mark on the fan. Mine had what looked like a strange infinity symbol on it. If it is faint borrow some nail polish and mark it well.

Set your timing light to 27 degrees advance.

Loosen your throttle cable (so that you can easily hold the RPM's to 3000).

Adjust timing at 3000 - 3500 RPM using the TDC mark.

That's it your done.

Edit - I did not include the plugging the vacuum line in my directions I assume you know that after reading the pelican article
HeloMech
Thanks! I'll spin that bad boy back and see what results I get.

Joe, $800 huh? lol
JoeSharp
Yeah! And still took best 4 cylcender at Portland and the car got over 40 MPG there and back.
Keep fixen the D-Jet. Remember that I still need to sell you all that D-Jet stuff. biggrin.gif
:PERMAGRIN: Joe

HeloMech
Keep fixen the D-Jet. Remember that I still need to sell you all that D-Jet stuff.

lol, nice!! that will include the military discount though, right? smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.