Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Galley Plugs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
2-OH!
We are going to pull the 2.0 (93,000 miles) motor out of our 1975 - 914 due to many, many, many oil leaks. It still runs very well and strong and I would like to re-build it but just do not have the budget right now.

However, while it is down, I want to check the condition of the galley plugs. Where can I find out how many there are, where they are, and how to tell if they will last another 50,000 miles or so.

I read a tech article somewhere about pulling them out, tapping the holes and screwing in the pipe plugs, all, while not disassembling the engine. Do you think this process works...Internal metal shavings are hard to capture from the outside.

Any Suggestions????

Thanks
banderson
Don't fix what aint broke, unless you want to take the whole thing apart.

Packing greese on the tap will capture most of the chips, but you will also need to drill out the holes to the right size for the tap. Maybe if you pressureized the oil galley, all the chips would blow out the hole that your working on.

Its risky. confused24.gif
dryheat914
I wouldn't drill or tap the plugs with the engine being torn down.
Your good running engine may end up with a spun bearing......
If they are not leaking, don't screw with them.
Just my thoughts.

Chris
dryheat914
without....engine being torn down.
my bad
MarkV
I used to use a local independent Porsche mechanic before I started doing my own repairs. I took my previous 74 1.8 in to the guy for a clutch, he recommended tapping & threading the galley plugs as preventative maintenance while doing a clutch replacement. They are prone to come out without notice making a big mess out of the clutch, not to mention the instant lack of oil pressure. confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.