Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cleaning Parts.....USE GLOVES!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
elwood-914
Hi everyone. I have worked on cars most of my life. I have used solvent tanks for 35 years. We used to clean parts in there, touch them with our bare hands...spill gasoline on our bare hands, of course we would clean our hands with hand cleaner but, now I have cancer. I am not saying that this IS the cause but some searches did come up, that solvents COULD be a cause for the cancer I have. Please be on the safe side and use caution at what ever you do. Life is short.
spare time toys
Good advice. Back when I started in aviation we used to wash sealant off with MEK or Chlorathain and didnt think nothing of it. Heck I would get sealant in my hair and pour the stuff on my head to get it out. Today we cant use the stuff because it is to hazardous to our health. We used to spray zinc chromate primer paint in the hanger and walk around in the green fog. Now you can not spray it in the hanger its brush on only unless in the spray booth. I wonder what stuff we use that is OK today will be a health hazard tomorow?
grasshopper
Wow, that really sucks. I'm sorry sad.gif My dad told me that when he was a kid, he use to play with mercury, and melt down led and make things out of it. He said no one ever thought anything would happen... I just got my first chemical burms the other day...I will ALWAYS use gloves after that. I was using easyoff over cleaner (yes, it tells you to use gloves) and I got some of the spray on my arm, It sat there for a minute before I realized it was on my arm..I wiped it off, and about ten minutes later I got these big red irritated spots on my arm..and eventually the outer layer of skin fell of and I get a scab over it..now I have scars from it...
Tobra
Had a patient who was formerly a wealthy Japanese business executive. Went into a tank for solvent, supposedly ventilated and safe. Anoxic brain injury left him a tubefeeder, other two guys overcome by fumes at the same time expired.

I have a can of benzene at the office that I just taped shut and labeled do not open ever. Left over from the guy I got the practice from.

Sorry to hear about the cancer thing, that sucks
So.Cal.914
Hang in there all is not lost. My wife was told by her Dr. that she was going to die.

That was 28 years ago. It wasn't pleasant but she is here today, and so can you.

And yes it was canser.
sww914
I'm very sorry to hear about your cancer. I've seen a lot of people beat it, a lot more than just a few years ago, they've really come a long way in treating cancer.
Thank you for taking the time to warn us, that is very considerate of you to think of other people in the face of what you're dealing with.
I wish you the best of luck.
Steve.
pfierb
QUOTE(grasshopper @ Jul 29 2006, 01:52 PM) *

Wow, that really sucks. I'm sorry sad.gif My dad told me that when he was a kid, he use to play with mercury, and melt down led and make things out of it. He said no one ever thought anything would happen... I just got my first chemical burms the other day...I will ALWAYS use gloves after that. I was using easyoff over cleaner (yes, it tells you to use gloves) and I got some of the spray on my arm, It sat there for a minute before I realized it was on my arm..I wiped it off, and about ten minutes later I got these big red irritated spots on my arm..and eventually the outer layer of skin fell of and I get a scab over it..now I have scars from it...

I remember as a kid I had a toy soldier lead casting set used to melt lead in an iron ladle and then pour it into molds to make the best soldiers ,then I would paint them with lead based paint.....dumb but happy,who knew.

When I was in the motorcycle business I had a mechanic working for me who was from Sicily and probably one of the greatest shade tree mechanics in the world,he could put together a 6 speed motorcycle transmission without ever looking at a schematic....hundreds of thrust washers, gears,circlips,shaftsetc.etc.and when he was through it was perfection,he would never look at a shop manual. Whenever he got a cut or sliver he would pour gasoline on it,when I yelled at him for it he would tell me everyone does that in the old country and it kills the germs,well I found out years later that he came down cancer,who knew !!

By the way I came down with prostate cancer 8 years ago and am fine today.Keep a good thought and you will be O.K.
Brad Roberts
One of the leading Stanford cancer research scientist told several friends: We all carry Cancer. Some of us trigger it some of us dont.. as he pulled another drag on his cigarette (no joke)

I'm doomed. I didnt start using gloves and such until 4-5 years ago. I had already been wrenching for 14 yrs or so prior to that.

Sorry to here about your cancer. Stay strong. You have friends here.

Cancer just took my grandmother this past Tuesday night.

B
Jeroen
what kind of cancer are you diagnosed with?
skincancer (hands) or something else?

hang in there! don't give up without a fight ar15.gif
elwood-914
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Jul 29 2006, 12:13 PM) *

what kind of cancer are you diagnosed with?
skincancer (hands) or something else?

hang in there! don't give up without a fight ar15.gif

Jeroen,
I have Mantle Cell Lymphoma. It is an agressive cancer that seems to keep returning. I am scheduled to go to Stanford soon for a Cell Transplant.

Hey I have a sister in Oudewetering, is that close to where you live?
anthony
Another good thing to do is wear a mask and avoid breathing any fumes or dust. I hate to think about all the solvents I handled as a kid playing in the garage or all the crap I've breathed in. I try to be much more careful now.
Brad Roberts
Tim,

If it helps any.. I know of 3 people recently that BEAT cancer with some serious help from Stanford. It took them 2+ years and monthly $8k dollar shots.

They pulled out all the stem cells. Cleaned them and put them back.

B
elwood-914
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jul 29 2006, 01:01 PM) *

Tim,

If it helps any.. I know of 3 people recently that BEAT cancer with some serious help from Stanford. It took them 2+ years and monthly $8k dollar shots.

They pulled out all the stem cells. Cleaned them and put them back.

B

8K shots!! But I drive a 914!! I can't afford that! wink.gif Kaiser is picking up the tab!!
Brad Roberts
I learned some harsh relaties when it comes to health.

It is much like racing.

He who has the most money wins.

The 8k shots are not covered. These guy's paid out of their pockets.

This is how they get around the FDA. The shots are not approved and are considered experimental (although they have been VERY VERY successful over the last 5 years)

I followed this very closely. I wanted to learn as much as possible. I was disappointed to the point where I fealt sick when I found out "who" gets access to "certain" treatments and who doesnt.

You are in good hands. They know their shit forwards and backwards.

I'm really sorry to hear this.

B
Flat VW
QUOTE(elwood-914 @ Jul 29 2006, 10:37 AM) *

Hi everyone. I have worked on cars most of my life. I have used solvent tanks for 35 years. We used to clean parts in there, touch them with our bare hands...spill gasoline on our bare hands, of course we would clean our hands with hand cleaner but, now I have cancer. I am not saying that this IS the cause but some searches did come up, that solvents COULD be a cause for the cancer I have. Please be on the safe side and use caution at what ever you do. Life is short.

I will grab Shaggy, my eighteen-year-old son who desires to be an auto mechanic, and press his nose against the monitor and MAKE HIM READ THIS OUT LOUD.

I am saddened by this news. sad.gif

I hear your warning loud and clear.

John

P.S. When I was in first grade 'art class' in Detroit during the mid-sixties, we were given wetted asbestos to use for 'modeling'.

I have an 'tempra-painted' asbestos penguin around here somewhere. confused24.gif
Joe Bob
As one that INSPECTS and REGULATES enviro clean ups....I am exposed to lead, asbestos, and other airborne toxins......I am religous about gloves and masks.
Jeroen
QUOTE(elwood-914 @ Jul 29 2006, 09:38 PM) *

Jeroen,
I have Mantle Cell Lymphoma. It is an agressive cancer that seems to keep returning. I am scheduled to go to Stanford soon for a Cell Transplant.

damn... then it got into your system good
but it sounds like you are in very capable hands
keep us posted how things are going (if you want) we care!

I've never been there, so I just checked
There's 2 places here by that name one is about 50 miles away (midwest) and the other about 150 (northeast)
elwood-914
[
[quote]
[/quote]
I've never been there, so I just checked
There's 2 places here by that name one is about 50 miles away (midwest) and the other about 150 (northeast)
[/quote]

It is near Schipol Airport..I have 2 sisters, a brother and father over there.
Jeroen
that's about 50 miles north of me (I'm just a little south/west of Rotterdam)
MecGen
Hey man

I just went thru a cancer scare myself (last week), didn't eat sleep, or shit for days...I just jumped over to the club to take break from re-searching my condition.
The thought that our trade is poisoning us, is insane.
I wish you well.

Serious +Karma your way

see you around smile.gif

Later
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.