Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Drag racing my V-8 914 LS6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wbergtho
Well, My goal today was to crack the 12 sec barrier and I got damn close. I started out with a 12.33 @ 123.78 MPH and 17 runs later...all I could muster was a 12.10 @ 126.67 MPH. I hit 12.1's about ten times and noticed my average 60 foot time was 2.2 seconds. (not very good!) The zoomy trap speed of 126.67 MPH indicates that I can run a bit faster time ET if I could only get the tires to hook up a litter sooner! The weather today was 97 degrees and very humid. I did this on burned Michelin Pilot Sports and have no desire to set my car up to drag race. I suppose if I had some gummy Hoosiers with taller sidewalls on smaller diameter wheels...I'd hook better...(I have 993TT wheels 18" x 10" & 18" x 8") but hey...I had fun and didn't break anything. That's all that matters. rocking nana.gif

Bill
Brad Roberts
That my friends is a FAST 914 clap56.gif

2.2 60ft?? nothing but tire spin. Did you try and launch it in second gear?

I raced a V8 911 that tripped the timers with 1.25's

B
wbergtho
1.25! NOW THAT IS HOOKING IT UP! happy11.gif clap56.gif mueba.gif rocking nana.gif boldblue.gif
Flat VW
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Brad Roberts
It would *almost* carry the front wheels through the 60ft. timers.

I semi know suspension. Set the front Koni's on full hard and set the rears on full soft. Disconnect front sway bar and leave the rear in place.

BFG Drag Radials. The only way to fly on the street!!

Short dry hop to clean them (no water..drive around it) and launch it!!

I bet your MPSC's did pretty well.

B
Lou W
QUOTE(Flat VW @ Jul 29 2006, 03:20 PM) *

agree.gif
Andyrew
Hmmm.. 2.2.. Our 944 turbo was 2.5! Thats basically mostly turbo lag...

Yup.. you be spinning.. lol

17 runs? Any tires left???
LS6/914
IN car timing? Drag strip? Deep stage? 915? Just curious...Lar
Brad Roberts
The 911 I drove had an all aluminum Donovan 400ci engine with alum heads and intake backed up with a 930 box.

I did most of my playing at a small 1/8th mile strip south of Ft. Worth Tx or at the Texas Motorplex south of Dallas.

B
wbergtho
500 HP @ crank...930 trans and there wasn't much tread to start with. They are on their last legs...so I decided to have fun at Rockfalls Racewayjust for fun...to see what this car will run a qtr mile in. If I went to 16" wheels with drag radials...my 60 foot time should come down alot...and oh...if the weather was cooler than 97 degrees...that would help a bit too. It should be a bit quicker i would imagine...
Brett W
That is a mid 11s car with that kind of trap speed.

I went to the drag strip for the first time last weekend. DAMN what a rude awakening. Nothing at all like road racing except the exit to the return road.

Sounds like you have plenty of potential. Yeah you should be able to nail something in the mid to high 1s for your 60ft times. You could pull 1.8-19 on street tires.
914-8
With those tires and those conditions - man, that's really, really fast!

I don't think there are many, if any, street cars that could hit that time with those tires in 97 degree heat, including all of the big time big dollar supercars.

Good job!

messix
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jul 29 2006, 03:23 PM) *

It would *almost* carry the front wheels through the 60ft. timers.

I semi know suspension. Set the front Koni's on full hard and set the rears on full soft. Disconnect front sway bar and leave the rear in place.

BFG Drag Radials. The only way to fly on the street!!

Short dry hop to clean them (no water..drive around it) and launch it!!

I bet your MPSC's did pretty well.

B

you want full soft on the front and enough rear dampening to keep from getting into axel hop. get the front up to get weight transfer to the rear with out sucking the rear wheels up into the wheel wells.
Brad Roberts
I knew what I wanted (transfer) but couldnt recall which way I adjusted the 911 back 10+ years ago now.. biggrin.gif It transfered well. I did adjust it the way I explained above. The Koni's where the rebound only setup and this is what worked the best. WE spent a lot of time getting it to "hook up" while I learned the BFG's.

B
wbergtho
Hey Brad,

I forgot to answer your question about trying a second gear start. The thought crossed my mind a few times at the strip and I cannot honestly say why I didn't give it a try. I would think the second gear in a 930 box would handle it fine....(I know for a fact that the second gear in a 915 WILL NOT handle it...I blew my old 915 2nd off the pinion shaft last year before going to a beefier 930 box. $$$$$$$$$$
Brad Roberts
I forgot you had the 930 box. It would have been tough to pull off in second.

I launched stockish mid 90's Trans Ams/Z28's with the 6 speeds in second with ease. They would blow the tires off if I didnt, but they had the super short 1st and 2nd gears.

You had fun. That is all that matters. With those trap speeds, I would have to agree above about the car being a 11 second car. The 911 ended up running 10.90's with a little over 400hp. Took a while to get there.

B
neo914-6
I have 930 gearbox envy! biggrin.gif

Great job!
wbergtho
Does anyone out there think I could improve my 1/4 mile times considerably with road racing rubber? I assume it would be way more effective than street tires. Here's the thing....I don't really want to waste any money on drag related stuff...I'd rather invest in some nice light race wheels and race rubber for the road course. That's really where my heart is. But on that occasional drag strip day....I'd assume the road race rubber would be much more effective than street tires?

Bill
rick 918-S
WTG Bill! That's fast! I use ta Drag back in the day. That's fast and consistant! aktion035.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(wbergtho @ Jul 29 2006, 09:27 PM) *

Does anyone out there think I could improve my 1/4 mile times considerably with road racing rubber? I assume it would be way more effective than street tires. Here's the thing....I don't really want to waste any money on drag related stuff...I'd rather invest in some nice light race wheels and race rubber for the road course. That's really where my heart is. But on that occasional drag strip day....I'd assume the road race rubber would be much more effective than street tires?

Bill

Tires today are very good. I would get some sticky road race rubber but change the front wheels to skinny ones for drag day. Move everything you can over the rear suspension, Add some weights if you have to. The traction will make up for the 100 lbs. of traction. Make sure your calipers are in top condition so they are returning to full open and not dragging on the rotors. We used to swap out the disc brakes for drums and back them off for no contact. (pump...pump...PUMP!!! SH!T) ohmy.gif front sway bar off, and the shck stuff "B" stated.

Here's my old passion. 12:1 427, Crower solid lifter cam 510 lift 630 duration, BB Chev closed chamber rectangle port heads, Corvette 3X2 set up, 1050 CFM Fairbanks 10" converter gutted and modded Turbo 400, 4.56 12 bolt posi. W/solid bushings, Moroso drag coils, 90/10 front shocks,

Never knew what my 60 foots were. This is before they recorded them. All I know is I would smoke 9" slicks and have to drive out of a slight drift, Bang 2nd and smoke em again. Never could get a hot launch. I needed to go to the next step and tub the car for real rubber but it was a daily driver.

ET 11.72 @ 106 mph and Sandy would drive this to work sometimes on nice days. driving-girl.gif Not bad for a street car.... happy11.gif
wbergtho
Good God Rick...That BB red Chevy is fast as hell! Do you still have it?

I don't want to blow any money on drag paraphernalia...but I do rather enjoy going to the strip once or twice per year. My real passion is road racing and would like to get set up with a nice set off race wheels and race rubber...so i can explore more insane levels of traction and speed...Know what I mean? By the way, there will be an event in Sept at Brainerd Int'l Raceway's roadcourse being sponsered by the Slowpoke people (check out slowpokes.org). They are a loose knit bunch of porsche guys (a few other makes sprinkled in) that enjoy tracking their cars on the big roadcourses. Some guys have stock 924's all the way up to the rich dude with the Carrera GT. You might want to see how fast you can get the Alien to lap Brainerd??
Dr. Roger
Hey Bill,

very nice!

that's what i'm starting to notice on my MPS's. they seem to have a more narrow threshold of adhesion than some others I can imagine. or maybe i should stop 4-wheelin' my 914... =-O

if you were in the california bay area i'd lend you my 18X11 MPS's for a hand full of runs just to see you break 11.

who here has a 914 that can run a 12.10??? No one i can think of.
awesome!

there was a guy last year who posted video of his 12 second run driving his 283 SBC powered 914.......
quick, somebody get bill a video cam!
Brett W
I had friend that went with us last weekend and took some 11.5in road race tires for the back of his RX7. He used them to good success. He would bring the revs up and just drop the clutch. The engine didn't have enough power to send them up in smoke so it would just hook and go.

In your situation you would have to test and see. I would bet you have more than enough power to send them to smoky hell.

If you go to drag radials you may have a problem blowing out gear boxes or axles.
Chris Pincetich
Doesn't it always come back to the tires? You did the right thing by bringin old tires to trash at the strip...if you bring some road race tires next time to drag on they will probably be done for after a full day of racing. I don't think your 914 has the same wheels front and back, so no chance of rotating them up. If you want track tires that work really well, better keep them on the track. If you want to get under 12 sec at the strip, maybe you could get some old cookie cutter wheels and mount some fat/skinny tires to drag race with....then post some photos so we can all see the 914 dragster! beerchug.gif
byndbad914
QUOTE(wbergtho @ Jul 29 2006, 10:27 PM) *

Bill

I don't know that road race rubber would help you a lot, but a little. I had Hoosier Rs on my 15s (245/50/15s are cantilevered to about 10.5" width) and I could spin them with little effort. It would hook up, but only if I didn't really stay in it. I could launch 1/2-throttle and start spinning, then ease into it to keep them going for a decent stretch. The launch area of a drag strip may help if there is a lot of rubber already down and it is concrete.

And the car is so light you could launch in 2nd. I never actually lauched in second to say for sure, but seriously - I have 438 lb-ft of torque and I suspect you are similar. I had no need to launch in 2nd but if I were dragging the car, I would try it with the Hoosiers. Maybe then it would work - probably just slip the clutch. Like top fuel biggrin.gif

Otherwise, just get some sticky 10" slicks and some cheap 15x9" or 10" wheels and go for it. With all the 10" tire classes out there, they aren't that much $$ compared to a good set of road race tires you will just wear out anyway. Go with the softer sidewall because regardless of the tire you buy, you will ruin them in a couple drag days anyway.

I intend to do the same with mine when it is back up and running - knock off the front swaybar links, put some slicks on and hit a dragstrip. Now that I think of it, I could probably launch in 2nd and do the whole 1/4-mile in one gear with the 930 if I took it to 8000rpm instead of the usual 7500 idea.gif

oh yeah, and 126mph you should definitely be low 11s. High 10s if you had the susp set up (which you won't of course and neither would I - road racing all the way).
wbergtho
By dissconnecting the front sway bar...you are allowing the car to roll freely and the rear tires will hook faster...correct? I understand that a really tight suspension would induce wheel spin. Oh...I cannot fit any wheels smaller than 16" due to the 930 calipers. If I were really inclined to play with this...I could remove the rear brake calipers altogether and run front brakes only (unsafe?)...this would allow me to run 14-15" wheels with TALL WRINKLE WALL drag slicks. Fun to think about...but there's a .001 chance I'll ever do it.

Bill
mskala
QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ Jul 30 2006, 12:19 PM) *

there was a guy last year who posted video of his 12 second run driving his 283 SBC powered 914.......
quick, somebody get bill a video cam!

I think you're talking about Ed up here in Mass, he only had one run and was
not experienced and it showed as 13.40.
drive-ability
I have to be honest I have never spun the rear tires. I guess I'm just chicken wacko.gif On the other hand once you do it you never stop, maybe its not a bad thing. smile.gif You guys have limited slip? How does the car feel? Fun I bet!
Andyrew
It wants to come around really fast...

Even with non limited slip.

We have 2 944 turbo's, one limited, one non.. The non limited, when you get on boost will just light one tire up and if your turning, no big deal. The limited, you light it up... YOu will swing back and fourth, or your gona be spinnin.

btw.. You have the setup... Light up those tires!! Throw it in second, rev it to 2k, and as you drop the clutch, throw your right foot down... Its really fun to look at the speedo.. If your worried, do it on slick pavement.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(wbergtho @ Jul 30 2006, 07:52 AM) *

Good God Rick...That BB red Chevy is fast as hell! Do you still have it?

I don't want to blow any money on drag paraphernalia...but I do rather enjoy going to the strip once or twice per year. My real passion is road racing and would like to get set up with a nice set off race wheels and race rubber...so i can explore more insane levels of traction and speed...Know what I mean? By the way, there will be an event in Sept at Brainerd Int'l Raceway's roadcourse being sponsered by the Slowpoke people (check out slowpokes.org). They are a loose knit bunch of porsche guys (a few other makes sprinkled in) that enjoy tracking their cars on the big roadcourses. Some guys have stock 924's all the way up to the rich dude with the Carrera GT. You might want to see how fast you can get the Alien to lap Brainerd??

Nope, Sold it 20 years ago. I really miss it thou. I never lost a street race back in the day.

Sorry to hijack your thread but here's a story for you. Sandy and I were coming back from a car show on the Iron Range with group of street machiner friends. There were some heavy hitters in the caravan. two Hemi cars, a wicked 340 Dart, etc. A buddy in a 1970 Z28 with a built 350 4sp rolled up along side me on the freeway. We stopped traffic on I35 and went for it. His passanger flagged the GO!

My car pulled so hard I had to back off and let him go about 4 car lengths, then nailed it. I passed him as he was shifting into 3rd gear! We ran for about 1/2 before he caught me and passed me. (I was twisting 7800 RPM's when I backed off) I ran out of gears!

Those were the days!

BTW, yes, loosen your suspension, and lighten the front for wieght transfer. You'll be in the 11's.
LS6/914
The main difference between road race and drag race tire construction is the side wall and compound. The drag tire sidewall is designed to buckle under torque to provide a better contact patch and grow in height with wheel speed. For me this resulted in another car on jackstands/tranny in pieces
wbergtho
Hey Drivability,

You have to experience wheel spin. It can help you in a tight spot once in a while...Say you want to turn the car around on a road that's tighter than the turning radius of your car?...just rap it up to 2,500-3,000 rpm and crank the steering wheel in the direction of your intended path and give her a nice stab....wheels spinning....car coming around right now. After a few times, you'll be a professional at feathering the throttle and steering with your smoking expensive rubber. I don't suggest to do this all the time (especially if you have a 901 or a 915. It just comes in handy when you want to be a jackass and do stupid showey stuff with your car). happy11.gif confused24.gif av-943.gif
byndbad914
QUOTE(wbergtho @ Jul 30 2006, 02:25 PM) *

Oh...I cannot fit any wheels smaller than 16" due to the 930 calipers.
Bill

Bill, I have 930 calipers and 15" wheels. In fact, THAT IS WHY I have the 930 calipers - so they would fit under 15s.

In the near future I will probably go to 17x10/17x12 or 13s on mine, so won't matter that I spent all that money on them dry.gif Anyway, early 930s had 15s on them originally and were a nice, tight package... you have early rotors in the front and turbo rotors in the rear, right (both are around 12.1 or 12.3" diam IIRC)???
drive-ability
QUOTE(wbergtho @ Jul 31 2006, 10:36 PM) *

Hey Drivability,

You have to experience wheel spin. It can help you in a tight spot once in a while...Say you want to turn the car around on a road that's tighter than the turning radius of your car?...just rap it up to 2,500-3,000 rpm and crank the steering wheel in the direction of your intended path and give her a nice stab....wheels spinning....car coming around right now. After a few times, you'll be a professional at feathering the throttle and steering with your smoking expensive rubber. I don't suggest to do this all the time (especially if you have a 901 or a 915. It just comes in handy when you want to be a jackass and do stupid showey stuff with your car). happy11.gif confused24.gif av-943.gif

I need to find a place where jackasses and show offs are allowed clap56.gif I'm sure theres a place somewhere laugh.gif
I finally found out why my engine was running "stupid" at light throttle. A while back I replaced my M.A.P. sensor line because it was getting soft. Turns out a small amount of liquid rubber attached it self to my map sensor vacuum inlet. The little thing would move around and skew the signal at light throttle and it would run lean. Thats not a big deal but as you know these cars tend to have twitchy throttle reactions at slow speeds especially in first gear. Now it runs much much smoother when transitioning from idle to 2k. Wheel spin sound like so much fun, but what If I start doing it and can't stop av-943.gif :
Andyrew
Drive ability, how much hp do you have? You should have wheel spin in first gear if at full throttle with street tires.
wbergtho
Hey Tim,

I didn't know the stock 930 wheels are 15". That's good news if I want to buy a set of ugly wheels with drag radials for the strip. Drivability,
I'm glad to hear you have it all dialed in now.

Bill
andys
QUOTE(wbergtho @ Aug 2 2006, 07:23 AM) *

Hey Tim,

I didn't know the stock 930 wheels are 15". That's good news if I want to buy a set of ugly wheels with drag radials for the strip. Drivability,
I'm glad to hear you have it all dialed in now.

Bill

Bill,

Get yourself some iinexpensive Diamond wheels, and mount some race tires on them. Drags, roadrace, etc. 5x130, any offset, 15" or 16".

http://www.diamondracingwheels.com/RoadRaceSeries.htm

Andys
dwillouby
Bill I am wanting to do a 930 upgrade as soon as the wife lets me. dry.gif Your setup appears to work very good.
What type of mounts, shifter, axles, ect. Cost est.?

Thanks
David
wbergtho
Hi David,

Cost on a 930 box varies wildly. The single most expensive thing is the core...at about $2,000-3,000. I lucked out and found a slightly damaged one from a non Porsche boneyard that didn't know it had LSD. It needed a new tail cone casting and the required flipping of the ring & pinion (unless you want to run inverted), new bearings, synchros, sliders, etc. I lucked out and found my core for $600 shipped! The bill to have everything else done was $4020 from CA Motorsports.

I then hooked up a custom made cable shifter mechanism. It cost about $250-300

The axles & CVs are new 73 911

The mounts are all custom fabricated (not hard to do)

Start searching for a core. If you have a trans shop source it for you...they won't be motivated to find you a good deal and you'll spend over $2,500 for one. The best cores to find are 76,77 and 88' because the 76 & 77 are already short bell housing (fits better in a 914) and the 88 has a solid thicker rib on the bell housing where you cut it to make it shorter. Any other year will work fine as well...

Hope this helps

Bill
dwillouby
Bill,
Thanks. That helps a lot. I had thought of going through Renegade for this. I can hopefuly source most of this and save some cash.
Thanks again
David
wbergtho
Renegade is a good source for us V-8 guys and they are known to offer well engineered & crafted components. They actually do not do any in house trans work that I'm aware of...although they say they do. They have CA Motorports in Lake Havasu, AZ do their serious trans work (they don't have time to do it themselves...but they do have the time to mark up Bobby Hart's work over a CA Motorsports). It actually makes perfect business sense for Renegade in this regard. All I'm saying is this...find your own core...hope the primary internals are in nice rebuidable shape (you will almost never know until Bobby opens it up) and cut out the middle man. Bobby is very good and very honest. I have not heard of one unhappy customer...ever. What I like about him is he will explain things and cheerfully talk with you...even after he's cashed your check. He seriously wants you to be happy...so his word of mouth becomes favorable every time. The only reason I'm talking him up so much is because I've had him do 3 boxes for me in the past 6 years...and every time has been a good experience. I love to pass the word on about people I like and trust. His number is 928 855-5755. Get your core sent to him and have him do the rest. Best advice I can give.

Bill
byndbad914
QUOTE(dwillouby @ Aug 2 2006, 09:30 AM) *

Bill I am wanting to do a 930 upgrade as soon as the wife lets me. dry.gif Your setup appears to work very good.
What type of mounts, shifter, axles, ect. Cost est.?

Thanks
David

David,

Here is what I have (just another option).

I bought a used 930 trans from a Porsche mechanic and he pulled the cover and inspected everything to be sure it was all good, put new carrier bearings in it and I paid $2200 cash. Great deal... just keep your eyes open. I waited almost 5yrs while doing the V8 car and always watching/asking around about a deal. Found this thru one of the mechs in back at Hergesheimer for instance (his friend that owned another Porsche shop).

Then I ran it inverted, BUT you really have to drop the motor to pull this off with the 930, so expect to need to flip the r/p. You can buy this already rebuilt and done from CA Mtrspt in "Have-a-screw" as Bill mentioned - I almost went with them when I found my deal. Seem like a solid group to buy from and came recommended by many shops.

Then make a cable shifter. Easy.

The axles I have are the turbos that bolt right up to the trans. You use a late Carrera hub and some spacers from Patrick Motorsports. They have a "kit" but get a chunk-o-change for it. Source the parts elsewhere much cheaper and just buy his spacer.

Or do what I did, tell him he charges too much and give him prices from Pelican that are online (he can verify) and he ended up matching their prices and I bought it all from him. Jim has been cool to deal with the past few years. He will sell you the used hubs, bearings, and new axle set and spacers. Sets you back somewhere in the $900-$1K neighborhood from him.

You won't break that setup.

http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/cgi-bin/...cat2=&cat3=

You won't need the adapters for the trans since you will be 930, so that will whittle the price down from $1200 right there. Talk to Jim - he's cool - if you go this route.
JmuRiz
You never responded to this:
wbergtho
I assume you want pics from the track and I didn't bring my camera. If you are looking for a general pic of the car...here's one. If you want a few videos from the street and roadcourse, PM me with your e-mail address and I'll be happy to send them to you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.