Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How can AutoAtlanta not know the width
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nebreitling
From the ad:
----
Great new item! Professionally refinished, genuine 914 Fuch Alloys for all 914s. Great new updated look for all 914s and perfect addition to any 914.
Highly polished rim with blacked center, inspired by the Porsche 911SC and Carerra series of cars. Perfectly straight, perfectly brand new looking and a perfect addition to a perfect car. Auction is for a set of 4 as pictured.
This is a one time auction, so don't miss it!
Wheels measure 15" x 7".
----

incedently, i think they look pretty cool. (not $875 cool, but cool). custom fab some 15x7 4lug fuchs, and i'd bring money.

\"15x7\" ebay fuchs
Air_Cooled_Nut
I don't understand. Isn't the width given as 7"?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Air_Cooled_Nut @ Oct 17 2003, 10:36 AM)

yeah, but unless they were re-welded, they're NOT 7" ...

Andy
nebreitling
if they were rewelded (you can tell from the pics that they weren't), i'd think they'd make more of an issue out of it in their add..
machina
they just don't know any better and are measuring the rim width from the outer most edges of the lip.

the width should be measured as the distance between the two bead flanges.

believe the rims are 5.5"

dr
Mueller
I like the look, I wonder if those came on a 914 GT (as shown in one of those 914 books)

There is no such thing as a 7" wide, 4-lug Fuch, hence the post smile.gif
Scott Carlberg
I went onto the ebay ad, and posted this to the 'ask the seller a question' section:

Shouldn't AA know this?

These 914 Fuchs that you guys have for sale...
15x7? What?
Shouldn't AA know that the 914 Fuchs ONLY came in sizes
15x5.5, and NOT 15x7?

I wonder how the person who buys these *15x7* fuchs from you will be treated when they call aa and complain about them NOT being 15x7?

Are these by ANY chance the 'last' set of fuchs in the wherehouse?
tod914
That rim looks awesome like that. However, they are far from perfect. Plenty of scrapes on those under the paint.
Joe Bob
Prolly run out and send ya ratlle canned fake Fuchs.... blink.gif
mharrison
The polished lip looks great, and yep, there are plenty of scrapes under that paint. The biggest problem I have is that the painted edge is pretty uneven if you look closely. If I can see that in a picture, it would scream at me when it was 15" and on the car.

And what is with the inner wheel (part covered by the tire, being fogged a black color. It's not painted, but it's not clean either. You can see the silver through it.

For "Professionally Refinished" wheels they don't look that great. But I guess you have to remember that being "Professional" at something means that you get paid for it, not that you're exceptionally good at it.
rhodyguy
i looked at a spare fuchs (andy wink.gif ) i have. there appears to be the extra lip the am's have. you can get new am's for about 1/2 the price they are asking. notice no mention of the fact part number or the fox head. i think that's the same guy who wrote the ad for the "easily fixed" broken center reflector that "covers the ugly space on a 914 inbetween the taillights".

kevin
"simply shoot out the red diamond(leaving no red) and win a prize"
914werke
I thought that welding a forged wheel was particularly difficult sad.gif

Ive been musing over wheels latley myself, specifically widening a set of weels or evan creating a two or three piece wheel? Who does this?
SirAndy
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Oct 18 2003, 09:25 PM)
Ive been musing over wheels latley myself, specifically widening a set of weels or evan creating a two or three piece wheel? Who does this?

there's a guy out here, VW hot-rodder, i think in modesto.
have to look it up. but they (he) widen alloy wheels to any size you want.
they slice them in half and add material in the middle.
they can't change the offset that way (from outside to mounting) so whatever they add goes towards the inside.

i'm still thinking about doing that with my cookie cutters.
turn the 7" into a pair of 8" and 9" ...

only problem with that is that it is getting harder and harder to find tires for the 9" in 15 ...
i want to run 245/50 on 8" x 15 in the front and 285/45 on 9" x 15 in the back.

later,
Andy
Andyrew
Andy, if you want, I could check out these wheel guys, to see if their product is for wheel (haha).

Oh and the fuchs in the add are 15x5.5, not widened... Look at the wheels laying down, look how it doesnt come close to the top of the wheel facing you.. as you would expect a 7in wide rim to do..

I think that AA did a poor job on the rims, the quality is not good, but average for their rep..

Andrew
Scott Carlberg
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 18 2003, 09:37 PM)
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Oct 18 2003, 09:25 PM)

there's a guy out here, VW hot-rodder, i think in modesto.
have to look it up. but they (he) widen alloy wheels to any size you want.
they slice them in half and add material in the middle.
they can't change the offset that way (from outside to mounting) so whatever they add goes towards the inside.

he's actually in Stockton Ca.

Kelley's Custom Wheel Service
1725 N. Report Ave
Stockton Ca 95205

209.547.9245 - Fax

They're open until 8pm, I think, 4 or 5 days a week.

He did a GREAT job on my buddies ABT alloy wheel, major crack after a sizable pothole,
and after a shop in San Diego told him that his wheel could NOT be repaired.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Scott Carlberg @ Oct 18 2003, 10:42 PM)
he's actually in Stockton Ca.

nope, that's NOT the one.

they (the stockton guys) do steel wheels ONLY, at least that's what they told me on the phone ...
Andy
SirAndy
wait. is that the same guy who runs "Stockton Wheels" ???
or not? confused ...

"Stockton Wheels" is the shop that does steel wheels only ...
Andy
DuckRyder
They probably had the guys down the road from them (FKA "Rennsport") do those wheels, it looks like their work (bad) .

I got 2 sets of those wheels in better shape than that, and a rattle can of semigloss black is less than 6:00 for the good stuff............................

Not a deal to me.

Although I will say they look nice, if it had been done better they would look nice.

Just my .02
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.