Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need torsion bar info/advice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Porsche Rescue
We all know that the 30 year-old rear springs on our cars begin to sag and need replacement. Is the same true of torsion bars? I have read a lot about bigger bars for competition but not much about simply replacing tired bars.
I am working on a six which clearly needs new rear springs and shocks all around. Probably could use new bushings in front as well. I also plan on installing turbo tie rods. Should I replace the torsion bars as well? Are the stock front bars available? I want to put the car back as close to new/stock as possible. It will be a street only car and I don't want a harsh ride. Also, is it difficult to replace front bars/bushings? I have done struts in the past but I have never removed/replaced the bars. Advice appreciated.
Bleyseng
Leave em, you can adjust the ride height to compensate for any sag. Not so in the back.

Geoff
J P Stein
By all means, remove the A-Arms/t bars.

As the rubber bushing detioriate, the A-arms start rubbing on the T bars.

There are no rubber replacements for the A arms. A bunch of after market stuff is available....in various shades of quailty/performance. Meullers are at the top of my list. For a "nice weather" car, I *think* they would work out fine. If you're gonnna' go splashing around in the rain, you'll have to come up with Plan B.

If your T bars are galled or rusty, I have a set that I'll give ya.
Bleyseng
For a restoration I agree that Muellers needle bearing are the hot ticket. Maybe remove and re lube them every year for rainey driving?
Unless the T bars are really galled or rusty what could be wrong with them?

They are just spring steel so should be fine. Everything should be taken apart to verify its condition and the rubber bushings have got to be toast unless the car has really low miles.

Geoff
Mueller
Once the needle bearings are greased and the appropriate places are covered with RTV, no need to do a yearly R&R on them unless you have a pressure washer and give your suspension an enema on a regular basis bootyshake.gif

smile.gif
Katmanken
Thanks Mike for sharing that image.....

I may never be the same again.....

Ken
Bleyseng
RTV? Isn't that what they used on the O rings on the space shuttle Columbia?

I don't know if that sounds too great......

Geoff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.