Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsches to Oxford -Fantastic event
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Doug Leggins
The event was a great one. If they have it in the same location next year even more 914s should participate. They blocked off 3 blocks of Main street and the connecting roads that went around a square. There were about 245 Porsches there. All of the roads were red brick that the cars parked on. Very nice setting! It was great to be able to walk in the local restaurants and pubs for food and drink while walking around the show.

There were several 914 club members there and several non members that now know about the site. It was GREAT meeting all of the 914 people there! It is simply amazing how this club brings together the 914 owners!!! I think that there were 12 or 13 914s there -some for sale, some needing work, some fantastic examples.

Special to me -this is the 1st event that I was actually able to drive my car to biggrin.gif . I had a great drive over (except for the misting rain). I really had a fun time meeting and talking to the fellow club members there and many of the other show participants that were enthusiastic about 914s. Then I had a great drive back. The car is just running great. Cruising on the freeway at 80 to 90 mph was a pleasure smile.gif

I took a few pics but I have to admit that I was camera challenged. I got a couple of nothing but sky pics confused24.gif . I know that some of the other members were snapping pics, so post em guys.

Here's a beautiful 6 . The car builder brought it to the show. Very fresh car -69 miles on the car so far.
Doug Leggins
I was walking by and noticed the 959 and immediately reacted by blurting out "hey it's a 959". I stopped and took a few pics and it was funny to hear about half of the passers by doing the same thing, catching a glance and saying "hey look it's a 959". Not many opportunities to see a 959 around here.
Doug Leggins
The award presentation setting turned out great! There was a professional car photography company there taking pics of cars. They were taking pics at the same location where the awards were given out. Just so happens that there was a beautiful original 76 914 getting pictures just as the award ceremony started. So the background of the entiire award presentation was this beautiful 914.
Doug Leggins
Last pic for me now. I had to get a pic of Kelly in the awards line. Kelly's car is the Lapis blue metallic car. Kelly hauled home a bit of additional weight on his trip back home. The awards were red bricks with engraved plates on them. Kind of an unusual award (a red brick) but appropriate for this particular setting.

Kelly and his beautiful 914 won furthest distance, best paint and was one of the top 25 vote getting cars. Getting best paint on a car that is regularly driven hundreds of miles to shows is an OUTSTANDING achievement. Great job Kelly!
1970 Neun vierzehn
Doug,
Thanks for the pics. I would have liked to attend but I have to work Saturday and Sunday. 12-13 914s clap56.gif I haven't seen that many 914s in one place since a "Parade" That's good to hear that many showed up.
akellym
We made it back with no problems and only a little rain biggrin.gif
914forme
Nice wish I could have made it! We had 3 914s show up last night the MVSCC (Miami Valley Sports Car Club) Autocross @ Wright State. Mine being one of them. First time out of the garage in a long time, and it did wonderfully there.

3 914s in one place in Ohio is a miracle at a none Porsche event!!! 12-13 is a truly amazing, have not seen that many at some Parades I have been to.

Sort of bummed I did not make it, thrilled that I have my 914 off jack stands and racing again. Maybe next year if it does not conflict with the above clubs auto-x events.

Take care, more pictures please.
914forme
The black 914 with red seats and the Roll Cage is Van's I think. He is one the list, hopefully he can add a few more insigts of this event.
914forme
QUOTE(Doug Leggins @ Jul 30 2006, 01:03 PM) *

Not many opportunities to see a 959 around here.

The TajMajGaraj 959 available for view several times a year around Dayton. Excellent collection to go with may excellent collections of cars in the Dayton / Cincinnati area, as well as Columbus.

But you are correct it is very cool to see one in person.

Brad Roberts
Outstanding turnout for 914's!!!

I feel a change occuring.

More and more 914 owners getting out and enjoying their cars!!

Hi Doug bye1.gif

Did you approach each 914 person with a open invitation to the FFC?

B
mnementh
Doug,
Thanks for starting the P2O thread. You're right, it was a blast to get to walk around and see all of the other Porsches. But the most fun for me was to get to meet so many other 914 nuts. biggrin.gif Additionally, the organizers did a fantastic job of putting it all together.

Congratulations to both Brad and Kelly for winning their respective prizes. For all of you that have not seen these cars, they are beauties !! The Orange one below is Brad's and the Purple (?) is Kelly's. BTW, Doug's teener is a sweet looking ride as well.

The third pic below is one that I could not resist taking toward the end of the day. It was during the awards presentation, with Brad's 914 lining up for professional pictures, Brice Kadel (one of the organizers) speaking, and the flags in the background. Also, I found a pic I could not resist in the hub cap of a 356. It is a 1955 Spyder replica reflected in the hub cap.

Doug, I have about 360Mbytes worth of pics (some good, some so-so). Bear in mind, I am a better mechanic than photographer blink.gif These are redused in size to accomodate the posting restrictions. Drop me an e-mail, and I can make you a CD if you are interested.
Doug Leggins
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jul 30 2006, 07:18 PM) *

Outstanding turnout for 914's!!!

I feel a change occuring.

Did you approach each 914 person with a open invitation to the FFC?

B

There was alot of enthusiasm for the 914s at the show! Nearly everytime that I walked back to my car there was someone looking at it and as soon as they knew it was mine they started asking questions and had very good comments/experiences with 914s.

And, it was amazing the size of the crowd that gathered around the GT 6 when it arrived. One of the reasons was it was probably the loudest car there and showing up a little late, he drew alot of attention. There were alot of observers and it was interesting hearing the knowledgable 914 folks talk about the car, and just as interesting listening to the positive comments from the folks that really didn't know much about 914s.

And, yes I invited every 914 owner that I talked with to come over to the FFC! and to check out the website.

Roy - Can you post pics of the any more of the 914s that were there?
Brad Roberts
Awesome Doug!!!

Help us carry the 914 torch. Stand proud!!

I know it is a uphill battle in the midwest when you are surrounded by "Merican" cars..LOL

Hope your wife and kids are doing well!!

I think about your dream garage a couple of times a month.

B
2pointOH
P2O was a great event!! This was the first show I had a chance to travel to this year as I have been working on getting a few things fixed on the car. My son Alex had a great time with his new best bud Kyle (Kelly's son from Minnesots) playing video games and watching movies all day as "the dads" cleaned the cars and walked the show.

I got to meet a few 914 Clubbers including Kelly from Minnesota, Van from Cincy, Bruce from Columbus and Brad from Mid-Ohio. Definetely worth the trip and a great turnout. Kelly and Brad made us proud hauling in 5 awards in all!!

Here's a shot of my silver '76 with Kelly's '72 1.9 beauty. And a bonus picture of Kelly performing one of his 50 detailing techniques--he should produce a video with everything he showed me!!

Great to hear you and Kyle git home safe Kelly!! Tell Kyle Alex says hello.

John

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Doug Leggins
The family is doing great -thanks!

C'mon back and visit anytime! It would be great to see you at a FFC again!
Brad Roberts
C'mon back and visit anytime! It would be great to see you at a FFC again!

I'm working on that as fast as I can!

Need to visit my last grandmother in Indy soon.

B
Van914
Stephen,
Yes it was a great event! Too bad you missed it. The Blue GT repo was built in Eaton. Not too far from you. Here are some additional Pictures. Kelly, nice car and great to see you win the awards. The orange 914 was an orgional unrestored car. Looked brand new. Met Doug, Al and Kelly to name a few 914ers.
See you next year there and Doug I will try to make Nashville.
Van914
Van914
Click to view attachmentSome more Pictures
Van914
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment2
Van914
3- Doug and his 914
Van914
4- Kelly the big winner!
Van914
5 Unrestored car. Really nice.
Van914
I want your wheels!
Van914
Click to view attachmentDon't I wish this was mine!
Van914
Click to view attachmentaaa
Van914
Click to view attachmentbbb
Van914
ccc
Van914
ddd
akellym
Go to porsches2oxford.com and check out the video from the show click on P2O 2006 Slideshow | Video. You'll see some nice teeners!
2pointOH
Great slide show and video on the P2O site. Thanks for the great shot of the Silver Streak Van!!

John
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.