Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Went Fishing this weekend
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
914forme
MVSCC - ran two auto-x's this weekend on Saturday night and Sunday

3 - 914s showed - mine being one boldblue.gif I run in NASA E class with my mods. Sat night we finished up at ~1:00 am Sunday morning. It was fun, took off so I could get back for the Sunday mourning event. I came in second in class 1.1 second behind a well sorted Honda CRX running fresh R compounds. I did not even know I placed 2nd had 6 cars in class. BTW, I was running a set of Yoko AVS Intermediates. Can't even tell you how old these are.

Sunday came like a lion 4 hours of sleep, back out and worked on the car to make a few changes from my base setup. Added a little more front sway bar and add some rear neg. camber, I was over-steer happy with the yomamas. I looked like I was a drifter. Oh and one big change, my older Kumho,s came out 2 years old, mounted on my 6.5" Minilights.

The race started I stared 2 seconds faster than I had been the night before. I finished with a 52.889 , class leader was a Miata that showed today, with a 51.987. Had a great time now I have a bunch of questions.

I need to hook up the rear end just a little more!!!! I get wheel lift coming out of the corner, which means spinning which means lost time.

Current setup.
19mm 911 front bars
21mm front sway bar, set about 2.1/10th of an off the front.
150 pound rear springs
stock 15mm rear bar.
Toe Front 1/8" in, rear set for 0"
Front Camber 1.4 degrees, rear was setup for 1.5 degrees, took out a thin plate this morning, have not meassured it since then.
Bilstiens all around
6.5x15" Minilites with 205/50R15 Victoracres wrapped around them. Tire pressure what is that confused24.gif Can't say what they are right now, I liked how it was handling except the wheel spin that I ddi not mess with pressures. Last night I dropped the rears just to get them to bite a little hard on my last run and it worked.

I know a lot of you will say it is the rear bar causing me the trouble. You are probably correct, but I like a car with a rear bar. I have got it pretty well balanced right now, where I can steer it via the throttle. The car is dancing pretty nicely, had a box turn I could take flat out in second gear today. Just by blipping the throttle to get the rear to set out.

So I am thinking clutch limited slip.

I know it will make the car push a little more, but I can back out the front bar. When your spinning R-compounds coming off the corners I think I have a traction problem.
Joe Ricard
Dump the rear bar and you will stop smoking DOT R's The bar is lifting the insie rear and spinnning the tire. If you want to keep it flat get bigger rear springs. JEG's sells QA-1 coil over springs for like 35 bucks each. 200 or 225 inch pounds. Cheaper than and LSD.
I would also guess 0 tow in the rear was contributing to looseness also.
and 1/8 toe out will help turn in.
Brad Roberts
I hear and see this all the time (lifting the inside rear wheel)

Run the rear bar upside down so it doesnt hit the trunk floor when the opposite side is loaded.

Step up on the rear springs to 175 and leave the rear bar in place.

We have a guy here in SD that was smoking his inside rear tire with the bar connected. He disconnected it and guess what? He still lit off the inside tire. Too much body roll. Get it in check.

I have a LOT of cars running around with your setup. None of them light off the inside tire.

The hot ticket would be an adjustable rear bar. I'm working on this right now with Tarett engineering. It will be simliar to the Boxster 4 way adjustable bar I use in the Boxster Spec class.

B
914forme
Okay Brad, I sold my 180 lbs a while back headbang.gif

So what spring length do I need unloaded QA-1 sells 175 lbs. in a 10" and a 14" linear rate spring 2.5" diameter?

Thanks, Stephen
914forme
They are 14" length
914forme
Well thanks to Wayne Penix clap56.gif I have some decent photos of my POS out on the auto-x course. In the one I just added you can see me coming out of a corner, counter steering to keep the back end in check. It also shows just how much lean I am getting and the weight transfer off the inside rear tire. I will need to get wayne or somebody there to drive my car or take pictures of my car so I can see the differences the 175 springs make and hte other changes I make to the suspension.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.