Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What angle & downforce on rear spoiler, 6" Sheridan type,
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
neo914-6
idea.gif
Brad Roberts
There is no downforce in that "spoiler" All it does is stop lifting of the rear.

You need a wing with some kind of angle of attack before you get downforce.

B
Andyrew
Um..

Heres some pics.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Aaron Cox
looks so nascar!
Andyrew
And thank you!

(you should see my wheels and 10.5in slicks on it... muhaha..)
Andyrew
BTW. Measured... Its about 71 deg from the hood line.(ie, printed a protractor, folded it to 71 from the center mark, and placed it on the hood and spoiler and it lined perfectly)

It was about 50 deg from horizontal..
plymouth37
when is that crazy wing going to be done Felix? sounds cool.
alpha434
What was the final design going to look like? Did you decide on one sticking up from the rear like Andrews, or laying flat against the rear (disguised as bodywork, popping up from pistons at the rear,) Or a full spoiler permantly sticking up, and articulating down during braking.

Show a drawing.
alpha434
A big part of this is the hydraulics. It's a part of the brake sytem, so you're going to need at least one piston. Long and skinny. And you'll probly go to a larger master cylinder to handle the extra area.

This post may be more for other's benifit than Neo's.
maf914
Do like the Chaparrals (2C, 2D, 2E, 2F, 2G) from the 60's did. Put in an auto tranny and throw away the clutch pedal. Replace it with a wing angle control pedal. The wing runs at a high angle of attack (fail safe position) until you depress the pedal to flatten it out. This would be the proper wing position for say the Mulsanne Staight. laugh.gif
neo914-6
The concept is shown here here

I just need how much force it will see so the mechanical designer/fabricator can determine "wing" materials and strength of the hydo/elect ram(s)

Thanks Andrew, I should have brought a protractor to the BBQ but then I didn't know you had one. We have digital protractors at work!
Andyrew
lol... I printed a picture of a protractor and measured....

Mine aint digital (although I couldnt find my real plastic one) lol

Andrew

(ps, good luck!)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.