Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Opinions On Paint Scheme....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Moneypit
Hello all, I'm in the planning stages of getting my 914 back on the road, and one of the main things on my mind right now is paint....

i loaded an old 914/6 cutaway, and made a layout template in photoshopso i can work out the colors.

heres what im thinking so far... The car came in the Limited Edition ivory/orange scheme, but it had chrome bumpers, vinyl sails, white empi wheels, and the front spoiler was gone, makes me think it was a clone, plus it was built in 73, but sold as a 74 with 74 vin, and it didnt seem to have an LM code.

right. I kinda liked the white and orange look, but my dad had a 72 1.7 in what he always called "sunset orange". well, it doesnt seem that the color existed, when i looked at pelicanparts pics of sales brochures, but we think it may have been the tangerine paint they had...... thus, i want to recreate the LM scheme, but with Tangerine orange body, and white trim. using a paintchip i found online, heres what i whipped up.....

with Vinyl and black roof
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
IPB Image

With no Vinyl, and a black roof
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
IPB Image

With body color roof and sails
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
IPB Image

anyways, ive been tossing around the idea of wether or not to get new vinyl, paint the sails orange and leave the roof black, or have the roof done body color too....

the side lettering would be a white PORSCHE negative, didnt really work out as well in photoshop, but i hope you get the point.

Any input helps! positive or negative!
drive-ability
I think once you start mixing / color in or out of the trim / top and sails as well as lettering its your personal preference. I would suggest looking at some members cars in person if possible. Maybe in a big event you will get a clearer idea of what will make you happy. I like them all, each one would look beautiful. beerchug.gif
So.Cal.914
I think it would look good however you do it, but I will take this oppertunity to

say that alot of stuff (dirt, oil, grease, mud, etc.) is flung up on the rockers and

valances. So you might want to keep that in mind while you are planning your

color scheme. Black is bad enough. Just a thought.
STL914
I like the color scheme however I would suggest only painting the rockers and valances white, not the lower part of the door. That way, you can easily change your scheme to a more original look by painting those items black.
SGB
I agree with Gary. I like the first one, with sail vinyl & black top. I think I would paint valences and spoiler white, but use a white "reverse" decal on the door. I have a white LE spoiler on my car. After I painted it, I covered it with this transparent vinyl protector stuff from "trim-brite". It has resisted ALL impacts and still looks great.
kenschipper
I've been toying with the idea of using Photoshop to do the same (looking at side stripes). Any chance you can send me a zipped copy of the photoshop file. Would save a lot of work recreating.

Thanks ahead of time

Ken Schipper

kenschipper@hotmail.com
STL914
This is what I originally had planned to do with my Bahia Red 72, before I decided on a complete color change. I liked the mono-chromatic look [single color] but I wanted some contracting color as well. That's why I choose a white positive side strip and the white 2 liter Fuchs I had from my white 74.

You could paint your rockers and valances white and do the white side stripe, either positive like in the drawing or a negative like Scott suggested.
Moneypit
the decal's supposed to be a white negative. I went ahead and cleaned up the lines a bit, maybe this is a bit clearer.

IPB Image

PM me your email adress, and i'll have to email it to you, it says its too big for the forum... i can compress in almost any format you want if needed.
JPB
Cool ideas and they all work great. I like the whole thing in one color also because it make it look clean and tough. Mine will probably be two tone though. I want to paint everything from trunk to trunk black and everything from the fenders down red including the bumpers. The rocker panels are black so the lower bumper parts might be black also.

beer.gif Just a brain fart.
Moneypit
The other thing I've considered is a sapphire metallic blue body with white trim, or white body with the blue trim, probably keeping the white wheels though.

Oh, I've seen many diferent side decal designs out there, is there a site where i can browse through them?

Interestingly enough, my sister doesnt like the side decal, because of all the dudes running around with their hondas and supras and stuff with the big lettering on the side.... i definately dont want the car to be too "ricer", but then, wasnt porsche one of the original companies that had those, like on the 73 carerra rs's?

IPB Image

IPB Image

I still like the idea of two tone, but im still contemplating the lettering

perhaps an arctic silver/ dark grey scheme?
gregrobbins
Here are some two tone paint jobs from the factory for a car show. Plus than a couple more.
Moneypit
I had one considered replicating the gulf blue/orange theme, but i think that may be a little too much for me....

Anyone know where I can find the fiberglass rockers with the raised porsche lettering?
Moneypit
After seeing an early Adriatic Blue 911T today, I think i'm doing Adriatic Blue with White trim...

Now, wheres the best place to get these colors in Phoenix, Arizona area?
SirAndy
how about pink? the more i look at it, the more i like it ... wub.gif

someone please take that picture away from me. please! biggrin.gif

IPB Image

btw., more candy 914 colors here:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?show...c=43032&hl=

bye1.gif Andy
Chris Pincetich
I vote for red and black. Red body, black top, sails, rockers and valences. White decal optional.

If I ever get my 914 torn down for re-paint, I'd love to go red body, black top and sails, chrome bumpers, black valences, black window trim, chrome engine grill, black and red PORSCHE letters (saw it on Mike Rose's car), black side mirrors, black fog grills, and all the suspension powdercoated yellow! beerchug.gif
Moneypit
Ah, but if i get red and black, and so do you.... then theres two with red and black......

I want one thats, well mine rocking nana.gif

I think adriatic blue's for me, with white trim, and i will definately get some of that stoneguard stuff for the valences and front area of the car!
SirAndy
QUOTE(Moneypit @ Aug 1 2006, 10:30 PM) *

I think adriatic blue's for me, with white trim, and i will definately get some of that stoneguard stuff for the valences and front area of the car!

should have bought that perfect *original* white interior from EASY when you had the chance ... rolleyes.gif

it went to the crusher with the rest of the car ...
sad.gif Andy
Moneypit
White interior doesnt really push my buttons...

Fortuantely, my mom loves to sew, so im doing it up in black sportcloth, with grey faux suede, and hopefully brushed aluminum or chrome accents.
tat2dphreak
I like the last one in the original post, but the #87 car Greg posted is very sweet! like a creamsicle delux biggrin.gif
Kargeek
Two tone...Here's something different from my 80's photo archives. I wonder where this car is now...DH
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.