Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Relay board rebuilding by Joe DiTommaso
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
michaelmoo
I have no place else to turn. I posted a little on this awhile ago with a club members help about contacting Joe. But Joe never got in touch with me.

I contacted Joe in October 2005 about rebuilding my relay board. An outline is below to see the transactions between us. But he still has my board and won’t respond to any on my emails or phone calls. The last response I got was in March 2006. I’ve been emailing and asking for updates but nothing. What started as a few week/month process is quickly turning into a year. I now he has been posting on the club site lately, which is why I’m posting this. I hope he will contact me about this. I truly never wanted to make this public, but I feel like I have no other alternative. Has anyone else dealt with him or know him to help me get my board back? And if anyone wants to send him there board, they may want to think twice.

1) Wednesday, October 12, 2005 1:15 PM
Contacted Joe about rebuiling my relay board. I asked the price and turn around time.

2) Wednesday, October 12, 2005 8:28 PM
Joe contacted me about the price and that “I wasn't planning on jumping on it for a few more weeks.”

3) Thursday, October 13, 2005 4:11 AM
I asked his shipping address

4) Thursday, October 13, 2005 1:57 PM
He emailed his address

5) Monday, October 17, 2005 10:59 AM
I emailed him that I am planning on pulling it the week of Halloween and will mail it to him. I asked if he takes paypal?

6) Monday, October 17, 2005 3:42 PM
He emailed back his PayPal email.

7) Tuesday, November 15, 2005 9:51 AM
I emailed his to see if he got the board

8) Tuesday, November 15, 2005 11:58 AM
He informs me that he hasn’t and will check the post office

9) Tuesday, November 15, 2005 10:22 AM
I email him the tracking number

10) Tuesday, November 15, 2005 1:03 PM
He calls to tell me that the post office has it and he will get it that day

11) Thursday, November 17, 2005 11:12 AM
I email him to ask if it was ok

12) Thursday, November 17, 2005 11:43 PM
He tell me that it is fine and is “sitting in a pile of 20 or so, waiting for me to get all my commitments to settle some. Then, acid etch and solder each one with 66 welds per board, washed and two day seal process.”
13) Wednesday, January 04, 2006 7:07 AM
I email him asking for an update and that I’m having back surgery and will be gone from work for 3 weeks.

14)Thursday, January 05, 2006 12:39 PM
He responds with:
“ Mike, Hope you heal quickly, The key is the therapy after. Sorry for the
long delay on the board. I was going to do all the boards at once. It's a
big job and don't have enough time as of yet and I leave again on the
9 -23 to go out of town. If you want I can send you back the board and the
Monies or let me hold on to it until the end of Jan. Your choice. Again thanks
for you patience. You didn't lose your board, just that I have dozens of them
that have to get done and I have been hard pressed for time.”

15) Thursday, January 05, 2006
I tell him that I’ll be out with my back and wont work on the car for a month or so and just to finish rebuilding it.

16)Wednesday, February 08, 2006 8:40 AM
I email him for and update.

17) Wednesday, February 08, 2006 7:34 PM
”I melted out the old resin and washed the board. I still need to solder the
66 rivets and pour the new insolator. How long have I had this thing??
How's the therapy going?.........Joe”

18) I email him several time about updates during the next month and get no response.

19) Tuesday, March 07, 2006 7:04 AM
I emailed again the following:
“Joe,
Please don’t take this the wrong way, but am I ever going to see my relay board again? It has been over a month since I've heard from you and almost six months since you've had my relay board. I feel like I've been more than patient, but I haven't driven my 914 in six months! Now the weather is getting warmer and I can't drive my 914. Here is an email you sent me on October 12 2005:

"Mike, I have 14 boards stripped and tanked, but they are not soldered or sealed. I wasn't planning on jumping on it for a few more weeks. "

Well it's been a few weeks since October 12th. It's more like 25 weeks. Please let me know something. Again I feel like I have been more than patient during the almost six months you’ve had it.”

20) Tuesday, March 07, 2006 10:22 AM
He responds:
“Mike,

There are no more excuses, besides the fact I am nearly through finishing up on a big indoor pools full remodel. What stage is your car in I would like to compensate you for the huge delay. I must admit you have the patience of a saint. Your board is safe. I am hiring more help to take this load off. Just too old or to burned out to do what I used to do. Again I apologize for this problem. Joe”

21)I email him an article that featured my car in 9 Magazine about a year and a half ago and the only thing my car lacks is a relay board. I ask him for and date for when my board is going to be ready.

22) Tuesday, March 14, 2006 6:26 AM
Hearing no response, I emailed the following:
“Joe, Here is a compilation of our emails. Please let me know when I am going to get it back. I’m actually thinking of buying a used board (and those aren’t that cheep) because I don’t think I’m going to get mine back. I don’t want to get another one because mine should be better rebuilt than a used board. But I am really getting tired. I would like to have it back by the end of the month (March 31 2006). I think that is MORE than enough time to get it done. Especially since you’ve told me that you’ve done some of the work (and that was in the beginning of February approximately 3 months after you got it!). I know I originally said I wasn’t in a hurry, but that was during the winter and this has now reached a ridiculous stage. Now it has been 5 or 6 months and I still don’t have an answer s to when I will get it back.

Below is my shipping address.

Michael Moore
"Address removed”

23) Tuesday, March 14, 2006 12:04 PM
He emails me back:

“I disagree with the compilation. In the beginning I said I wasn't going to do a new set of boards anytime soon!!!" I did say, it takes an extremely long time to do them. Remember? I have many boards that I could make lots of money on. But I haven't done them either, because of time restraints. You said, could you do mine when I got to the others. I said sure, when I do the others. More time went by then I would have liked, but the original schedule is still intact. I still have now 24 boards I'll sell for $125 to augment the extreme cost of my "turbo street modified 2.3L with programmable FI and complete body restore. The car has sat for this time also. So many distractions have happened in the mean time, that this project and many other personal projects have take a back seat. I have tried to explain this too you and have wished I could have gotten it done sooner, but I haven't. You didn't lose your board, I didn't lose your board. Again I'm sorry it is not done yet, but it is half solderd and very close. I gave you and extreeme deal because I knew it would take long, but never assumed this long. I will again say I will try and expidite. I have a new partner that OOULD save me time after his acclimation. Joe”

24) That’s the last I’ve heard. I have called and emailed many many times, and have heard nothing.

I know that I may not get my board back but I just wanted to post this hoping I will get some response and to remind everyone: caveat emptor.

Michael Moore

Teknon
I told you I am not doing the boards separately, in the very beginning.

I said I don’t know when I can get to them.

You said that you will send it and wait.

I run a pool service company and make all my money in the spring and summer and have very little time for extraneous projects, and leave the state in the late winter.

I asked you if you wanted the board back. You said NO.

I asked you if you wanted the rebuilt board from my car. You said NO.

I have thirty odd boards to recondition and haven’t the time for them. They take a long time to prep and there is nearly 70 solder points on each one. From start to finish the boards take weeks to complete. They take detailed attention to do them right. The next time I do them they will be done differently. They will be silver soldered and sealed with a flexible coating instead of the rigid material.

At this point I will not do yours. I have explained the situation to you on various times and you just don't get it. headbang.gif

I’m sending it back to you.
michaelmoo
Thank you.
Brad Roberts
Um.. OK!!

HPH stocks rebuilt boards

650-364-6234

He is also a 2 person show, but he ships quickly once the parts have been pulled.

B
Mueller
wasn't there an article on rebuilding these yourself??

I soaked mine in castrol superclean for a few days (checked it once in a while and chipped away the undercoating....sounds crude, but dropping it bottom down on the concrete floor from a foot or so helps loosen the stuff)

rjames
Performance sells them new/rebuilt too...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.