Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tricks to make JP's car heavier
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
brant
Seeing the other thread made me realize that what I need at this point is for JP's car to gain 10 or 15lbs.

I was wondering if those of close proximity could sneak weight into JP's car for me when he wasn't looking?

the first thing that comes to mind is pebbles and dirt... but then I realized that he will probably vacuum the car out at some point and ruin all of that hard work.

so I started this thread to see if we could think of some more permanent sneaky ways to accomplish this.

perhaps led bars screwed onto the chassis somewhere...
somewhere he doesn't look often.

for example I could fabricate a common part but pour it full of lead prior to the switch. How abour the hollow portion of the rear swing arms?

wonder if I could drill a hole and pour molten lead into them?
hmmm...

any more great Ideas?
biggrin.gif
brant
URY914
Drill a small hole in the roll bars somewhere. Everytime you walk by the car drop some lead shot into the hole. confused24.gif
nine14cats
Inflate his slicks with water.... happy11.gif

Bill P.
brant
dang.. those are good ideas!

since I won't be on the west coast to put these plans into effect, I would like to solicit "resumes" from those out in sunny,WA to assist me.

please submit your code name and rates for service off-list, along with any swiss bank account numbers that will be necessary to complete the transaction.

any other ideas?
the hole in the roll bar is good, but won't the steel bb's rattle around and alert him?... should I use a gel type substance (shaving cream) in some type of pressurized delivery device in order to silence my actions?

brant

URY914
QUOTE(brant @ Jul 31 2006, 10:25 AM) *

the hole in the roll bar is good, but won't the steel bb's rattle around and alert him?... should I use a gel type substance (shaving cream) in some type of pressurized delivery device in order to silence my actions?

brant

I filled the roll bar several times during the autocross at the WCC. He has no idea. They don't make much noise really and JP's hearing is not getting any better.

Paul smile.gif
brant
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jul 31 2006, 12:34 PM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Jul 31 2006, 10:25 AM) *

brant

I filled the roll bar several times during the autocross at the WCC. He has no idea. They don't make much noise really and JP's hearing is not getting any better.

Paul smile.gif

good point then!
I've got to go to the store now and see if they have any of those extra large boxes of "daisy" bb's

hey.. I thought of another one.
why couldn't I put a "brick" into the fuel cell
sorta like you put into the toilet reservoir.
JP calls it a "shit box" right?

I figure 8 -10 bricks would add about 15lbs right there.

brant
Joe Ricard
Why bother, everyone knows JP can't drive half as fast as his car can go.
BB's in the roll bar. Now that's a good one.
brant
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Jul 31 2006, 12:43 PM) *

Why bother, everyone knows JP can't drive half as fast as his car can go.
BB's in the roll bar. Now that's a good one.

see the thing is..
I don't know If I can beat him in car weight.
so I figure that if I can't get my car 20lbs lighter, then I should just get his car 20lbs heavier...

thats my story and I'm sticking to it.
brant
J P Stein
I guess I'm gonna have to keep a closer eye on youz guys. cool_shades.gif
brant
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jul 31 2006, 01:10 PM) *

I guess I'm gonna have to keep a closer eye on youz guys. cool_shades.gif

nothing to see here.
move along..

psst... guys, I think he might be onto us.
PM me off list to put the details in place.

JP,
I'm going to re-corner balance in 2 weeks.
whats your latest readings from this year?

Randal
QUOTE(nine14cats @ Jul 31 2006, 11:11 AM) *

Inflate his slicks with water.... happy11.gif

Bill P.

Funny!

BTW I have the fitting to do just that. We always put water in our tractor tires.
Joe Ricard
Well you could always Screw up the "driving nut" You know go out and get him hammered the night before the event.

or is this just a who's got the lightest car thing?

I'd rather go party with JP. Now for some reason I think that would be a hoot.
grantsfo
IPB Image
brant
mmmm....
magnets....

thats awesome!

yep Joe, since I doubt JP and I will be going head to head anytime soon.. its just a who's lightest kinda battle.

brant
Crazyhippy
Start sending him dinner gift certificates... fatten up the driver, not the car.
He probably wont even mind
Brett W
Take a fuel cell and cut it in half. Put a baffle plate in it and fill one side with lead and leave the other side open for fuel.

Now here is the tricky part, you need to start putting a water rust mixture in his gas tank. Once you have him convinced that his tank has a problem you drive up and "help" him change out the tank for the free tank. There problem solved.
brant
QUOTE(Brett W @ Jul 31 2006, 04:32 PM) *

Take a fuel cell and cut it in half. Put a baffle plate in it and fill one side with lead and leave the other side open for fuel.

Now here is the tricky part, you need to start putting a water rust mixture in his gas tank. Once you have him convinced that his tank has a problem you drive up and "help" him change out the tank for the free tank. There problem solved.

genious!!
absolutely genious.

sounds like you may have been through this situation before?
want to do any contract work?

brant
Brad Roberts
I'd just wait until he is strapped into the car and "check something in the trunk"

Casually placing something large and fairly soft back there. Like a pillow full of buckshot or bebe's.

Britain would go along with it.

B
Britain Smith
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jul 31 2006, 04:21 PM) *

Britain would go along with it.

B

chairfall.gif
URY914
Britain should just get in the trunk.
J P Stein
Sorry, guys.

Aluminum gas tank.
Pinned hoods.
I'm on a diet already.

Brant:
I've lost my final numbers from the corner balance, but
the starting point numbers were still around.
Doing some calcumalations from those the fronts would around 390
and the rears would be around 540......that is with 180 lbs in the drivers seat.....which I forgot to subtract from the dry weight. biggrin.gif
Joe Ricard
Oh this is too much fun. Grant the magnets just might work.
I'm rolling on the floor.
brant
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jul 31 2006, 06:12 PM) *

Sorry, guys.

Aluminum gas tank.
Pinned hoods.
I'm on a diet already.

Brant:
I've lost my final numbers from the corner balance, but
the starting point numbers were still around.
Doing some calcumalations from those the fronts would around 390
and the rears would be around 540......that is with 180 lbs in the drivers seat.....which I forgot to subtract from the dry weight. biggrin.gif

no crap...
I am defeated then.
your numbers are 1860, but I didn't know that was with driver...

crap
your at 1680 then...
no way I can touch that with my metal car.
NICE JOB!

grantsfo
Imagine the possibilities! biggrin.gif

IPB Image
Dave-O
hmmm...since the minimum weight of an FP car is 1900 lbs... JP may welcome some "free" ballast dry.gif
Dave-O
actually, a 2.7l car should be 2025 lbs. ohmy.gif
J P Stein
If I ever get an accurate weight measurement, I'll see if there's a chance to get to the E Mod minimum. My corner balance with the bathroom scales set-up is just a SWAG.....enuff to scare Brant tho biggrin.gif
brant
yes... I admit... I'm shaking...

I've got a set of pro scales lined up for a week from sat.
I'm real excited to see:

1) if my original numbers hold true
2) if my small changes made any difference in the right direction

(my class minimum weight is actually around 1805 or 1810, but the rules also say: "The car must be made of original body material" which kinda makes that goal untouchable)

brant

brant
grantsfo
QUOTE(brant @ Aug 3 2006, 07:30 PM) *

yes... I admit... I'm shaking...

I've got a set of pro scales lined up for a week from sat.
I'm real excited to see:

1) if my original numbers hold true
2) if my small changes made any difference in the right direction

(my class minimum weight is actually around 1805 or 1810, but the rules also say: "The car must be made of original body material" which kinda makes that goal untouchable)

brant

brant

From what I have seen of your car you have left plenty of weight on the table. What do rules say about holes in the original body material?
brant
[/quote]
From what I have seen of your car you have left plenty of weight on the table. What do rules say about holes in the original body material?
[/quote]

Dude.... don't want to screw up my aero too bad... still hitting 125 or so on the straight and it feels like a brick wall already at 112mph.

rules also say "no gutting"
which I feel I'm pushing the limit of already.

I would like to cut the trunk out but not allowed.

rules also say "only bolt in bracing" and "no roll cage or bracing allowed to the supspension points"
which makes it kinda illegal to build a tube frame car, or compromise any of the unit body (since I can't weld tubes in to replace its strength)

But.... you haven't seen my modified front metal hood yet... I hope to save 10lbs and still be legal with it... soon...

brant
grantsfo
If you cant cut out material certainly thining body panels would get you to class regs. Aluminum shift rod linkage, chuck all the "pretty stuff" Emblems, sail panels, pretty trim, etc, grind off excess metal. Aluminum and material in dash is pretty but not functional. More use of aluminum or nylon bolts and nuts on nonstructual components. Custom ultralightweight wheels would shed rotational weight too.
brant
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Aug 3 2006, 09:48 PM) *

If you cant cut out certainly thining body panels would get you to class regs. Aluminum shift rod linkage, chuck all the "pretty stuff" Emblems, sail panels, pretty trim, etc, grind off excess metal. Aluminum and material in dash is pretty but not functional. More use of aluminum or nylon bolts and nuts on nonstructual components.

hmmm
Another rule says that the "upholstered dash is required"

I'm in the middle of assessing and deciding how many holes I can drill into a chromoly shift rod. Alloy could bend in that application. I've thinned many panels including the top and glass. I've left 2 emblems on the car for asthetics only.

rule on wheels requires that they were what was used in 1972... thus fuchs, steelies, or cookie cutters are the obvious. There are some panasports and Shelby wheels out there but most are actually heavier than fuchs.

every single non structural bolt is already aluminum or nylon already.
for example in this picture you will note that only #5 is stainless (because we thought we needed the strength)

and even though it doesn't show #7 is nylon

all other's 1-10 are aluminum (some rivets, and some bolts)

also note that in this picture: the fuel cell is aluminum, the headlight cover is aluminum, the hood pin is aluminum, the cooler ducting is aluminum, and the hold down strap for both the cooler and headlight cover are both aluminum.

I'll admit there was more that could of been done.
but we had 24 months into the chassis at that point and made some concesions.
Joe Ricard
That cooler ducting is absolutely ridiculously COOL.
Got to be the cleanest most genious set up I've seen on a 914.
URY914
See all that light weight thinking really....well...gets me sorta choked up.

Great looking work.

One thing to think about next time. I realize everyone loves the look and security of stainless steel hoses but they are heavy. There are rubber hoses out there that can easily handle the pressure without the weight and expense. I know some race group's rules require SS hose if they run in the passenger compartment and all fuel must be SS. If you have to use them nothing you can do.

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.