Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My brain is on the loose!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Chris Pincetich
After a few *searches* I still haven't scored a good description or accurate photo to make sense of mounting my ecu/brain box to the battery tray. Even Haynes is letting me down here.

My 914 came with carbs and a rusty battery tray. Eason/EASY put my 1.7 FI in - runs great but the brain was not attached as part of the install sad.gif

Now I have a new restoration design battery tray, and the bracket to mount the brain - BUT I CAN"T match the holes on the brain to the holes on the bracket. I know for sure the new battery tray was not drilled to mount the bracket, but I can take care of that with a drill...also, my old rusty tray had a bracket on it so I know how that piece mounts.

Pics are worth a thousand words..but I'll be happy with either a detailed narative or some photos. I honestly don't know what "year" the brain box is, maybe this is a "late" brain and I have a "early" bracket?? beerchug.gif
Chris Pincetich
i can tell it mounts with the longer side up - but the holes are spaced 2-3 inches wider on the brain than the holes on the bracket. Is there an intermediate bracket from brain to battery tray bracket?? beerchug.gif
swl
yes - two brackets. The second one is L shaped with two slots that marry up with the two screw holes on the drivers side of the bracket you have. The idea is to remove the brain by just loosening the three screws and pulling to the drivers side - the second bracket stays with the ecu. I can get you a pic if you need it
swl
here's a pic minus the ecu. Should be enough for you to see how the mounting goes.
Chris Pincetich
Sweet! I mean, I'm missing something...the pic shows the bracket I am missing. It either rusted away into oblivion, buried in a box in my garage, or a soon-to-be WTB in the classifides. At least I know what to look for. beerchug.gif

I was actually just looking at an exploded parts diagram sent from another member - Thannks again the CDs are amazing - but it was hard to see exactly which parts fit together...I think #23 on page 113 is the missing bracket shown but again it is hard to tell exactly from the diagram alone.
Chris Pincetich
My brain is finally settled, nestled into its corner and secure on the correct brackets. Peace of mind prevails.

Some day I might get the OEM correct hardware, zinc plated etc, but the stainless phillips screws in there now should hold up great. Just for the record, the 2 screws that attach the long bracket to the battery tray are 6mm (OEM is bolts not screws I think), the 2 screws that attach the small bracket to the big one are 6mm (OEM is standard slot, not phillips I think), the top 2 screws that attach the brain to the brackets are 5mm, and the final screw that attaches the vertical part of the bracket to the brain is 4mm.

This photo taken tonight shows the brain mount, shiny new hardware, my new battery tray from restoration design welded in (thanks again Trek), newish optima, new battery connections and ground cable, and the steel AX safety strap securing that lead brick of a battery to the tray and the body of the car (nut is tightened up inside rear fender). beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.