Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exhaust Header question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fitsbain
My new motor is being delievered with naked 2.0 exhaust, that is no heat shields. I have a set of 1.8 headers with the steal pipes and the stainless shields. The pipes are rotted off but the shields are perfect. Will they fit the 2.0 pipes? I think the only difference is the turn up at the end.

Thanks
d914
icon_bump.gif

still don't know, but I thought I'd help!!
Mueller
QUOTE(fitsbain @ Jul 31 2006, 11:55 AM) *

My new motor is being delievered with naked 2.0 exhaust, that is no heat shields. I have a set of 1.8 headers with the steal pipes and the stainless shields. The pipes are rotted off but the shields are perfect. Will they fit the 2.0 pipes? I think the only difference is the turn up at the end.

Thanks

1st thing...

Those are Heat Exchangers...NOT headers smile.gif

2nd thing, what year 1.8 and what year 2.0 exhaust parts?
fitsbain
1.8 parts are from a 74. The 2.0 UM??

D914?? What year???
fitsbain
icon_bump.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(fitsbain @ Jul 31 2006, 11:55 AM) *

The stockers were not stainless, to my knowledge. The stock 2.0 pipes were, I think, a different diameter than the stock 1.8 pipes. The muffler end of the exchangers are a different distance apart on the 1.7 style (which was used on the 74 1.8 as well) than on the 2.0 style; I'm not sure where the difference was.

You can try the exchanger wrapping if you like. I'm not sure anyone else has done it though. Going to SSIs is usually seen as a better option.

--DD
fitsbain
I've got 2 sets off of a 1.8.

Both have steal pipes with a stainless shield around them for the heater.

Both sets of shields are perfect, not a spot of rust. Both sets have the steal pipes rusted. One is ok the other set the steal pipes rusted off inside. AKA the 2 ends are no longer connected to each other (and that means exhaust in the car if I use em that way, and of course the muffler would move around).

I thought the only difference between the 1.8 and the 2.0 sets was that the 1.8's turn up at the end, thus placing the muffler higher. (I never understood the reason for this).

D914 can you get a better picture of the exhaust on that motor you are sending me? What year is it?

Thanks everyone.
Brad Roberts
Show us. Show us a picture. I have NEVER seen 1.8 HE's with stainless shields and the kick up at the end. The late 1.8 and 2.0 HE's have a shiny outer covering and steel pipes. Both sets go straight out the back to the muffler.

Do you want heat?

All 1.8 and 2.0 stock exhausts had the same diameter tubing. You are correct about the differences in the 73-74 2.0 and 1.8 exhaust with the 1.8's having the kickup at the end. each set of HE's requires a different muffler.

B
fitsbain
LOL

I'll do pictures if I can tonight. Have to run out.

I'm hoping I can find a way to get heat with the 2.0 exhaust so I can sell my 1.8 exhaust with muffler.

Need money to help fund the rest of this project.

I just totaled up everything so far and I've spent $1047 including the tools and Welder I had to buy.

The motor is going to hurt that a bit.

But I have lots of spare parts now so I should be able to make a bit back on that stuff.

Dave_Darling
QUOTE(fitsbain @ Aug 1 2006, 11:59 AM) *
I thought the only difference between the 1.8 and the 2.0 sets was that the 1.8's turn up at the end, thus placing the muffler higher. (I never understood the reason for this).

I think the reason was originally for the 1.7 914 to use a VW 411 muffler. The 1.7 (and 74 1.8) muffler has its inlets in the (vertical) middle of the cannister--that is, the centerline of the muffler and the centerline of the inlet pipes is pretty much the same. The 2.0 was redesigned for better flow, so they made the pipes straight back the whole way--and the inlets to the 2.0 muffler are at the bottom of the cannister. That is, the bottoms of the inlets are roughly even with the bottom of the muffler.

--DD
d914
unknown lineage????heres the pics....best I got from here. standard 2 liter pipes less heat exchange I believe
d914
another
fitsbain
So my question is can I add the heat exchangers from my dead set of 1.8 pipes to these to get heat?
ruddyboys
Aren't the "sheilds" spot weilded in place and removable??
fitsbain
That's what I hoping. I can see how to remove them.I just need to know if they will fit.

I want to sell the other set of exhaust but don't want to do that till I'm sure I can get heat from these.
Dave_Darling
The "wrappers" are, IIRC, both crimped and spot-welded in various places. But just around the periphery--when the back of the wrapping rots out, the whole thing rattles on the pipes. (That's how I know they're not stainless wrappers.) Take a good hard look at your "spares" and see.

Speaking of which, hold the spares up to the 2.0 parts (yes, they are 2.0 exchangers with no wrapping) on your motor. If the curves are different enough, they obviously will not fit. If they're pretty close, you may be able to make 'em fit with some tweaking.

Oh, and I think B meant to post pics of your 1.8 ones with the "stainless" wrappers.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.