Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: oil pump adventure
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
72914S
Lazy me decided to fix my oil pump leak with out droping the engine. Found both gaskets were broken(Melling pump) Removed engine fan shroud took off belt then the fan. Unbolted the fan housing moved it up and out of the way,not very far.Then I unbolted the pump;forgot to drain oil!After cleaning mess on the floor I pulled the pump from between the engine mounts(Tight fit).I work at a marina the techs here turned me on to a gasket seal they use to seal outboard cases,it works on all metals,fills gaps upto .050 and doesn`t setup until it`s tighten down between the two pieces.It looked like strawberry jelly when it squished out. Put the fan housing back on(5 hours later)Tonight I will fire it up before putting the fan back on(after putting oil in and only for minute to see if it leaks)Insert praying smilie)
DNHunt
Sounds like Loctite 518. It's anaerobic. As long as air can get to it, it won't set. Good stuff, smells bad.

Dave
72914S
This is a Yamaha product but you are right same stuff.Hope it holds!
72914S
No leaks last night so I put all the tin back on.Tonight we take it out for a SPIRTED drive.HEY Joe now maybe you can follow me up to Dothan.ha.ha.ha
Brando
Yamabond. It's all the rave!

Minus the glowsticks.
ptravnic
Do I understand correctly that this "Yamabond" stuff is the cure for oil leaks? I'll be replacing my crankshaft seal, installing new heads, replacing oil cooler and seals, and a few other doo hickeys while in there. Should I use this Yamabond stuff as a sealant? Kinda like the way I used Permatex to seal up the case?
Brando
I was just saying that (probably should have used a smiley).

It's a very good anærobic sealing agent. Loctite is also another. It comes down to what you think will last, what will hold out the longest. My experience with yamabond is that it works, and for quite some time.
72914S
I`m doing a test right now I shall keep you informed.
DNHunt
I haven't tried Yamabond so I can't speak to it. I really like the Loctite product. I used it for the oil pump and for plugs along with the sealing rings. One thing I would say, if what you are sealing will take a while to torque down this isn't the right stuff there. It sets fairly quickly once air is cut off. For instance you couldn't seal case halves although it is what I used under the through bolts and nuts. It's also a bitch to clean when it is set.

Dave
72914S
Went for ride last night (car wash under side). Flogged for 30 minutes,but not in my neighbor hood ha..ha.ha.Parked it saw one spot of oil;must have been missed at the car wash.No oil spot this morning in garage. boldblue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.