Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trany Talk
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JPB
I may beef up ther HPs in the current project and was wondering what trany would be good. So all I'm asking is what are you using, how much of a PITA it was to install if other than a 914 one and lets put the HPs at 400 max.

beer.gif May the opinions and info session begin!!! Don't forget to entertain!
WRX914
From what I hear it is not the HP's that kill a 901, it is the torque. What torque is intended?
grasshopper
It also depends on how rough you go on the transmission...if your planning on doing burnout's everyday to impress you co-workers, then you will blow a 901 in a week... If you arn't always trying to get the fastest 0-60 times that you can either, your trans might work..It all depends on how you are going to use it...
Mueller
keep in mind that the stock 914 transmission is the lightest of the normally used transmissions.....
Crazyhippy
Look into Mendeola. They build the transaxles used in most offroad cars, and build some BITCHEN stuff. Just be sitting down when you look at the price. And no, that does not inculde vasealine, you get it raw.

BJH
bondo

I have a sideshift 901.

Mods:
Increased carrier bearing preload
Tall gears
1st gear removed and blocked out
Fluid cooler and pump feeding cool fluid to rear mainshaft bearing
Custom cable shifter
Semigloss black powdercoated smile.gif

It's going behind an LT1 rated at 325 Ft-lbs of torque. I'm using a 9" stage II KEP clutch, 911/bus CVs and axles with adapters, and will have something along the lines of 225 to 245 wide tires (no limited slip).

I can't tell you how well it works because curently it's still holding down my jackstands.
byndbad914
how'd you know she was a tranny? And I am not using her man, I love her dude.

sorry, couldn't turn down the opportunity to work with "using" and "tranny" in the same sentence...

that said, everyone is right about the torque thing. The 901 is pretty strong surprisingly so you may be best - definitely cheapest - to stay with a 901, get a billet intermediate plate and some of the other popular upgrades and just be sure to not launch it like crazy in 1st gear. 2-5 is what all the V8 guys use for instance.

If you have the torque to break the 901, then you should probably just start off in 2nd gear anyway. In fact, maybe regear it 2-5 and just forget about 1st altogether (another popular V8 thing). Make 2nd a little lower, 5th a bit higher and spread out the ratios in between to keep the rpm range between 500rpm below max torque on the bottom up thru max HP (or higher) - that is of course a suggestion. Depending on your power range and speed range you intend to drive it, you might want a close-ratio setup from max torque to max HP a broader range for better hwy rpm.
JPB
Awsome info and surprised at the answers! I figured you all upgraded and that the 901 was a whimpy deal. I still have much to learn about all the different options internaly but definately omit the 1st gear all together. Keep the goods coming!

beer.gif What tork can this puppy handel?
bondo
QUOTE(JPB @ Jul 31 2006, 05:38 PM) *

Awsome info and surprised at the answers! I figured you all upgraded and that the 901 was a whimpy deal. I still have much to learn about all the different options internaly but definately omit the 1st gear all together. Keep the goods coming!

beer.gif What tork can this puppy handel?

Some people like to leave first for parking and loading on trailers and such. I tend to let people drive my cars, so I'd rather have it removed to lessen the chance of something breaking.

Word on the street is that a 901 can handle 300 ft-lbs, and 300 HP. They say that HP doesn't matter, but I suspect it does.. Torque breaks gears, but HP generates heat. Too much of either is bad. I'm pushing the limits with 325 ft-lbs, and I'm hoping the trans cooler will buy me that extra capacity. It may not. I'm going to have a spare 901 on hand to get me back on the road if I kill it.
SGB
I don't have no numbers, but when I'm torquing a trany, I hold it's linkage with some trany-lube.
brant
My race shop says 250horse is the limit and then they upgrade to a 915
those were running coolers too... but probably spinning a lot more rpms with lowered gears.

my tranny doesn't sound like it relates to your needs much
but it also is a 901

except with a 904 shaft and second gear moved down into the first slot, so that it has VERY tight ratio's on up. Plus a quaffe.

its behind a 2.0, so I'm not very worried about exceeding the 250hp ceiling.

brant
Boojum
Hi, I'm a soon to be owner of a 914 that's going to need lots of TLC, so I've been stalking this site for the past couple days--who couldn't love this community?!

I've been thinking (I searched the forums with no hits) and I'll have to do some more looking around, anyway, I've been thinking that an Audi 016 style transmission, like they used in the FWD Audi 5000 and similar might be a good candidate for 914 engine swaps. I know the guys who build Lambo and GT40 kits like to bolt them to SBCs, and I've heard they're good for 400 horsepower if you take care of them. I don't know if the dimensions would work, and I think the 016 shifts on the left side. I've also heard of some of the turbo 944s putting out 400+ horsepower without many problems, but then the turbo had stronger gears and a cooler.

Also, I think that the 016 shifts on the left side, but if some kit builders can figure out the shift linkage, that shoudn't be a problem for anyone willing to go through a V8 conversion. Also, there are some 6-speed versions of this tranny around.
rktmn247
The 016 is cable shifted and will work but the ratios are not optimum for a V8. There is a fix in the works though. The 944 use a setup similiar to a late Vette with clutch and pressure plate up front and the differential in the rear so that is not an option. If the better gearing could be swapped into the 016 then you might have something. Not first hand knowlede, all based on what I have read.
rktmn247
Link to 016 thread about V8 gear ratios.

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15792
alpha434
Mendeola Rex. Paddleshift that bad-b!%@#.

It'll *only* cost 20k. But they do offer a midengine version. Al and I stuck one in a midengine 911.
wbergtho
You'll always be wondering "when & where" this damn thing is going to start shedding parts (901) when hooked up to 400HP and similar torque. Then the next logical progression is the 915....but they have a real weak second gear (don't ask me how I know). I had $6,600 invested in my 915 including the blown 2nd gear fiasco ($4300 + $2300) by the time I cut my losses and built a 930 box which has ideal gear ratios and can stand up to some serious abuse. I flogged my car big time at the drag strip on saturday. I made 18 passes in a row and that trans was just yawning. I know...every one likes to start cheap/weak and see how well it works...then, when it breaks move up to a 915...then it blows and move up to a 930...then a G50...then a G50/50....then a Mendeola or Forten....then....finally a paddle shifted $220,000 F1 Ferrari gearbox. OK I'm getting a bit sarcastic but you get my point.
WRX914
QUOTE(grasshopper @ Jul 31 2006, 03:24 PM) *

It also depends on how rough you go on the transmission...if your planning on doing burnout's everyday to impress you co-workers, then you will blow a 901 in a week... If you arn't always trying to get the fastest 0-60 times that you can either, your trans might work..It all depends on how you are going to use it...

Not all together true grasshopper...

The link http://turbo914.com/longdonutcompressed.avi here is of a my buddies Subaru converted teener with a bone stock 901. Not only is it a stock gearbox, but it has never been rebuilt - ever. Dana is burning rubber everywhere, literally at every corner. This car has had this kind of power for over a year, and still going strong. This may be the exception to the norm, but it is what it is. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.