Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Running on Three Cylinders
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vesnyder
Going through my most recent shakedown and now my car seems to be running on three cylinders? I was able to pinpoint which one - passengers side front. For a while it would fire, then it wouldn't. Now when I run it it mostly does not fire at all and then occasioanally at certain RPM's it will fire for a moment and I will feel this burst of power? What could cause this on/off? I removed the spark plug and cleaned it up and it made no difference? Do spark plugs go bad? I should probably replace the dizzie cap and wires (hasn't been that long?), but I am watching my pennies - ANY IDEAS??
914 dror
QUOTE(vesnyder @ Aug 1 2006, 01:14 PM) *

Going through my most recent shakedown and now my car seems to be running on three cylinders? I was able to pinpoint which one - passengers side front. For a while it would fire, then it wouldn't. Now when I run it it mostly does not fire at all and then occasioanally at certain RPM's it will fire for a moment and I will feel this burst of power? What could cause this on/off? I removed the spark plug and cleaned it up and it made no difference? Do spark plugs go bad? I should probably replace the dizzie cap and wires (hasn't been that long?), but I am watching my pennies - ANY IDEAS??

cap and wires would be the best way to go
do that, then tell us how it went.
ptravnic
Check the wires going into the injector - mine had intermittent contact for a while and took me a full afternoon of chasing down. Also, check the chamber for compression as you may have burned a valve (worst case scenerio & ask me now I know - I limped the car from Toledo to Buffalo this past w'end on 3 cyl's).

vesnyder
Need to check the wires - ignition and injectors.

PT: I was thinking the same, but given it is sporadic I hope I can rule this out - what do you think? I have the compression test gauge - should do that to ensure it is nothing major and to establish a baseline.

Thanks and stay tuned!
swl
what does the plug look like? That may give you a hint. If wet then spark. If dry then injection. Kinda simplistic but it is a place to start.
vesnyder
I could not tell much from the plug - was not wet? I just did a compression test. two of the three cylinders tested at 120+ psi, while the bad one came in at 90? Will it matter much if I ran it this morning and the good cylinders were hot? I recently did my first valve adjustment - did I screw something up? Where do I start? Will try to spray some oil in there and retest - see if it makes a difference?
SLITS
Check the valve adjustment on your bad cylinder.
vesnyder
Replaced the old Bosch plug (crap) with a new NGK and the car runs fine - not sure for how long? Did a retest of the cylinder thinking the heat would have an affect on the compression and it rose to 90, still not quite what the others are? Will still check the valve adjustment when I have more time.
kpex914
i would never put any other kind of plugs in a 914 except for a Bosch. the reason is that a mechanic told me that its not good to put parts in a car other than what the factory put in or a part that is german. a NGk plug is for toyotas and other japaneese cars, bosch is for german cars and so on. take out that plug!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.